• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Scratched screen on Garmin GPS 60CSx

Reaction score
So it seems the little container that held the GPS also held something that was not compatible with the screen and after a winter of riding around it developed a pretty good rash. Now I am almost certain the scratches are to the point that buffing them out is not going to happen.

So the questions are these.

Has anybody done a repair on one of these and does anybody know of an online retailer that may sell replacement parts for the GPS?

Hi Red, I don't have a GPS so I don't know much about them or how they work but some waking up thoughts this morning;

On the various face shields in my little shop, when they get so scratched that it's hard to see through them, I coat the plastic with paste wax and it seems to help. Maybe the wax might even help protect the plastic underneath a little bit.

Once you were sure that the level of repair would require the manufactures designated representative (as in: you've got nothing left to loose) why not try coating the screen with a layer of varnish?

I hate to say it but the modern world seems to be inclined to just throw things away rather than try to fix them.

Good luck and best wishes, Rob

I just bought the thing used so no warranty. So I don't want to throw it away. Kinda pricey for that too. I tried the toothpaste trick but you can feel the divot in one spot. I have some beeswax for the Table Saw I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Try wet-sanding with 800- or 1000-grit emery paper. Then apply Maguiar's plastic polish or equivalent. I use it on my motorcycle windshield and helmet face shield with good results.

Back