• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Scored a new pan

Aaaannd the slippery slope has started. I like that pan though Frenchy. I bet you can fit one egg and a rasher of bacon in that. Might need photographic proof.

Yes, the slide has begun! I found a 10" pan on Etsy and ordered it...in the meantime, I will use the Hobbit sized one tomorrow morning with egg/bacon on a twig stove I recently purchased. I. Love. Gear.

Yeah, the larger 10" looks formidable and perfect for tripping. It's a funny thing, canoe tripping, kinda like a hobo life. Almost a carefree lifestyle, almost, but there are always details. What size bindle? What kind of stick to hang it from? What will I fit in it? I bought a 30L barrel and fry pans separately without considering the consequences. The pans don't fit in the barrel but they're the perfect size for breakfast and bannock. These days I'm caring more and more about what stuff weighs and how much space it takes up, but I'm also caring less and less when I make such mistakes. If I want to take something badly enough to carry it, I'll find room for it somewhere.

Last edited:
Glad I found this forum; humor, wisdom and fresh ideas to feed my gear addiction.

I make a lot of mistakes with gear, but isn't that just one step in the dance? I try something that others rave about, do not like it, sell it (or give it away) and try something else. Drives my wife, Deb, nuts, but that keeps us sane!

BTW...Deb loves the tiny 6" Bilbo pan, and when I got home from my 2nd job, I saw it hanging on the wall. So, the dance continues, and I look forward to receiving my 10" toy.

Poking around an old logging camp I found a rusted out Cold Handle Pan. It has the name on the handle, do they all?

Back