• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Sawyer Canoe?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. But I have been looking for a good tandem tripping canoe. I seen one on Facebook and it is listed as a 16’ Sayer. The owner does not know anything else about it. Asked the to check the name and they verified that it actually said Sawyer. This is the description:

Old fiberglass canoe ,
Pretty sure no leaks .
As is .
Heavy and long.

Was wondering if anyone could tell what it might be by the pictures? And if it would be worth getting?

Attachments

• photo14761.jpg
    photo14761.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 7
  • photo14762.jpg
    photo14762.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 7
Don't mess with Texas (?).

It's hard to say from just those two pictures, but it could be a Cruiser 190 (190 inches, 15' 10"). The bottom does look rounded, suggesting a faster, tippier hull rather than a flat bottomed beginner barge. Old spec sheets say a 190 in glass is 60 lbs, heavy for a smallish tandem. Not a lot of capacity for tripping.

Looks like it needs work, or at least serious cleanup, and none of that is going to make it lighter or bigger. I might buy it if it was dirt cheap and across the street, but I'm sympathetic to ugly boats.

Not a 190. For many years I had one and it had a lot more flare on the hull that carried up to the bow. It was a good tripper for up to a week. Ours was 62 lbs and the interior was a fiberglass weave. I am not seeing that in this picture.
Sawyer made an Oscoda line of cheaper fiberglass canoes and this may be one of them but I am not familiar with those boats specs

IMO, keep looking. Heavy and looks as though it has seen better days. Doesn't really look like a Sawyer from Oscoda MI,...seats don't look right. Of course they could have been replaced. Agree with Kim, doesn't look like a 190.

Thank you for everyone looking at it. The seats and all the paint was throwing me off. Every picture that I seen of a Sawyer boat had tractor style seats. The person wants $270 for it and it is a 500 mile round trip for me. May keep it on my radar but keep looking.

Found another Sawyer. Not that I am looking for them. Just looking for a "deal" on a good boat. Something that is faster than a 17' aluminum rec boat or the 15' plastic boat and not 80#. The last trip that I did with my daughter it felt like we was stuck in molasses.

It is a 16' Sport. This one is closer to me and not much money. Even if it didn't work that well it could be just an extra boat at the house. With the hole in the flotation chamber I am guessing I would need to make sure all is good there.

Attachments

• photo14765.jpg
    photo14765.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo14767.jpg
    photo14767.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo14766.jpg
    photo14766.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 3
Doesn't take much to poke a hole in those float tanks. I did that to my Cruiser once. Thankfully it doesn't take much to fix it either.

Alan

I have always like Sawyer canoes. My first canoe was a Sawyer Cruiser, fast by not so great in large waves. I reinforced the floor and it lasted a long time.
One of my favorite boats was a Sawyer Charger, an early kevlar boat made in 1978 and 18'6". It had room, speed, lightness and it was great on rivers.
That boat eventually failed and literally started to break up while I was on the water.
You have to be careful and make sure old fiberglass still has life in it.
The pictures of the boat on this page would be an example of a boat I would not trust. It looks like it has been stored outside. Not worth the trouble. Keep looking. Find a newer boat or one stored indoors.

Thank you all for the input. Think I’ll hold off and find something else. Alan I am still going to build that solo boat one of these days!! I gave up on designing. I would pick them apart until I was back to ground zero. I could never settle on a design.

Back