• Happy Birthday, Physicist Niels Bohr (1885-1962)! ⚛️🏅

Saving the Boundary Waters, a must watch video !

Piggybacking on this thread. Happened across these 2 on the bike trail this AM heading to work. Chatted a bit, signed their canoe & doing more research now. Turns out I should've asked their autographs being 2024 Nat Geo Adventures of the Year. Doubt they would mind me sharing on this forum in the name of the cause. I blabbed a bit about our last trip and they graciously smiled. 😂

https://www.pedaltothepolls.com/

20261005_072901.jpg
 
Last edited:
Say what you will about NYS, but our Adirondack and Catskill parks are constitutionally protected (Article 14), and have been since 1895.
Hopefully, Minnesotans will push for permanent protection for the Boundary Waters too.
All that is needed is enough visibility, and enough people to realize that wilderness is an extremely valuable resource.
Wishing all the best...
 
our Adirondack and Catskill parks are constitutionally protected (Article 14), and have been since 1895.
Maybe off topic but for a few years around 2011 I was lucky enough to be working within the Adirondacks on a capital project for the quarrying industry. Plant remodel, new equipment, & namely a renovated water reclamation system. Permitting was challenging & there was definitely a heightened environmental awareness with the APA involved. Demolition day #1 uncovered a single sheet of non friable asbestos and the entire project came to an immediate halt for the next 3 weeks while the plant was sealed off and the abatement insued.

All I can say is hats off to all the environmental crusaders as I am sure there were heated exchanges between them and corporate leadership. Hope to go back there some year as I recall no fast food chains & no billboards. The trail running was incredible!
 
I am sharing this video.

Why would someone from Iowa, one of the most polluted Agricultural States in America, want to share this video ?
Watch and care !

The Boundary Waters Future.
I live in the literal most polluted major watershed on the continent, and I care about BWCA. Can’t get his video to load, but I assume it’s about preservation, which should concern all outdoorsmen.
 
Last edited:
I live in the literal most polluted major watershed on the continent, and I care about BWCA. Can’t get his video to load, but I assume it’s about preservation, which should concern all outdoorsmen.
Oh ! I'm thinking Iowa might be in at least a Tie, with Ohio then.
With Hogs out Numbering people 7 to 1 ?
Our water sucks !
We tested a field tile this Spring for Nitrates. 40 p/m.
Nothing to be proud of. Also the Highest Cancer rate in the States .
 
Oh ! I'm thinking Iowa might be in at least a Tie, with Ohio then.
With Hogs out Numbering people 7 to 1 ?
Our water sucks !
We tested a field tile this Spring for Nitrates. 40 p/m.
Nothing to be proud of. Also the Highest Cancer rate in the States .
No, the Ohio is officially the most polluted river in North America. Industrial pollution, coal fired electric plants spew heavy metals with impunity. All the streams are open sewers for minimally, often untreated municipal sewage. Sewage plants are located every few miles on every regularly flowing creek or river. Our lakes (reservoirs), are opaque cesspools that stick to your canoe. Eating the fish in many places is banned, and just handling fishing line and lures can pass infections if you touch an eye, a sandwich, or splash it on your water bottle. Like Iowa, conservation is an afterthought politically, and a long history of dumping in streams, agricultural runoff. Ohio’s population density is 292/sq mi, Iowa’s is 52. I rest my case. Ohio is the poster child for dystopian surface and ground water pollution conditions. WE WIN!!

I’ll add that few Ohioans know what clean water looks like and blindly recreate anyway. We have very low environmental expectations.
 
what is he thinking?
"thinking" ?? 🤣

The Giiwedinong center is two blocks away from me so passing along the link and her book is noted below. The term "Water Protector" is used around here. You don't need to be a card-carrying member or show papers. Being conscious is all that is required.

https://giiwedinong.org/

To Be a Water Protector: The Rise of the Wiindigoo Slayers is a 2020 book by Anishinaabekwe (Ojibwe) activist, author, and leader Winona LaDuke.

Overview
    • Author: Winona LaDuke, executive director of Honor the Earth and member of the Mississippi Band Anishinaabeg on the White Earth Reservation in Minnesota.
    • Core Focus: Indigenous-led resistance against the exploitation of land and water, highlighting movements at Standing Rock and opposition to the Line 3 pipeline.
    • Key Concept: The term "Wiindigoo" refers to a cannibalistic monster in Anishinaabe mythology, which LaDuke uses to personify destructive, greedy extractive corporate industries.
 
No, the Ohio is officially the most polluted river in North America. Industrial pollution, coal fired electric plants spew heavy metals with impunity. All the streams are open sewers for minimally, often untreated municipal sewage. Sewage plants are located every few miles on every regularly flowing creek or river. Our lakes (reservoirs), are opaque cesspools that stick to your canoe. Eating the fish in many places is banned, and just handling fishing line and lures can pass infections if you touch an eye, a sandwich, or splash it on your water bottle. Like Iowa, conservation is an afterthought politically, and a long history of dumping in streams, agricultural runoff. Ohio’s population density is 292/sq mi, Iowa’s is 52. I rest my case. Ohio is the poster child for dystopian surface and ground water pollution conditions. WE WIN!!

I’ll add that few Ohioans know what clean water looks like and blindly recreate anyway. We have very low environmental expectations.
Yup ! You got us beat ! And that's not a good thing !
Time for People to Wake Up !
 
Back
Top Bottom