• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

satilite text device advice please

G

I trip in the ADKs and currently use a SPOT device. I would like to be able to receive texts there. I don't need an expensive/heavy sat phone. what other reasonably priced options are there?
Thanks,Turtle

I was gifted a previous generation inreach last year for my birthday. My wife wanted me to have one for her peace of mind during my BWCA trips. It works great, especially if you have a smartphone. It has the ability to connect via Bluetooth which makes typing messages easier. If you do not have a smartphone, you can program a number of preloaded messages, or use the not so efficient user interface to type messages through the device. They also allow you to activate for a month at a time if you wish.

I have the delorme se model and not the updated garmin model and have been very happy with it so far. There are probably still some delorme models floating around out there. Mine was purchased from Amazon.

it also has the ability to get weather and track your progress with tracking points as well as function as a full on gps through a smartphone.

hope this helps you in your quest

Another vote for Inreach, I have a pre-Garmin version, I've had it three years after using a SPOT since the early 2000's, dumped my SPOT after 1 year of dual use. I also dumped my Sat Phone I had for about 10 years.

Fortunately I'm grandfathered into the old Canadian plans which are a bit cheaper and more flexible than the new Garmin service plans (it's not a huge difference).

Although I'm a bit suspicious about the newest versions with integrated mapping GPS it's only because Garmin tends towards feature bloat and reduced battery life. On the previous Delorme models the 100 hour rating was very accurate, 10 days in tracking mode during the day and checking and composing messages a couple in the evenings is the MIMIMUM useage I get on a charge (I use a powerbank to recharge on longer trips).

I see that SPOT are introducing a similar type of unit (The SPOT X) very soon, it looks like a Blackberry with a physical qwerty keyboard. Service plan pricing looks pretty similar but I didn't read the fine print, the unit itself is priced at US$250 which is quite a bit lower than Inreach. They claim 240 hours of battery life which is pretty spectacular and the only feature lacking from the Inreach is the custom weather reports, this is something I find invaluable on the trips I do but likely less important if your trips are short and/or you are within local radio range for weather reports.

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

While I liked my GEN 1 SPOT a lot I'm a bit soured on the company of late and I have some long term concerns about the viability of their satellite network and didn't like the fact they kept trying to charge me after following their EXACT service cancellation procedure.

I've been using my pre-Garmin In Reach for several years in remote Alaska and Yukon Territory......works very well and battery life
lasts for 2 week trip easily. I only turn it on late/early in the day......I don't recall ever being shut down because of cloud cover.

Been using an older model inReach device for four or five years now. Satisfied so far. The mini mini version looks attractive, but I'm too cheap to pay for it myself. It might go on my Christmas list.:rolleyes: Edit: Just checked at MEC: $450 for the Mini!!!! Changed my mind about putting it on the Christmas list!! i will continue using this one until it is no longer supported. Bonus: it takes 2 AA batteries while all the newer ones have un-replaceable rechargeable batteries.
image-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back