• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Sassenach Lake parking area

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever parked a vehicle at the Sassenach lake entry point for Wabakimi?
The new permit website indicates there is drive up access there, but I have never heard of anyone actually parking a vehicle there.
If you have parked there, can one get there in a front wheel drive sedan or is high clearance 4WD necessary?

How fast things change. I was last there in 2006 and no road anywhere.. There weren't any campsites either and we bushed one out.. There were cached boats. A butt ugly northern lake. shallow marshy.. must be full of fish
You might get some quicker info by asking Phil Cotton over on myccr.com He goes by the handle Voyageur. He knows the area well

OK...here's the info
WEST SIDE- Sassenach Lake
Take 702 Rd to KM marker 59 (50.470337, -90.261266)
Turn right onto heavily overgrown track.
1.7 km in on that road is the put in point: 50.470851, -90.236903
The 1.7 km road is 4WD only and is very rough.

Per ONT MNR:
Access Point 4 (Sassenach Lk): on 702 ROAD KM MARKER 59 (Turn exactly at Marker)
WPT 040 UTM:0694362 5594499
- Could potentially access with care 4WD truck or walk last 50m over boulder field.
- Launch is 1.7km from 702 road
- Launch WPT 041 UTM: 0696068 5594632

I post a note from Phil Cotton to make sure full info is provided:
Shannon Lawr, Superintendent of Wabakimi Provincial Park, has advised me that the access roads indicated on the map you mentioned were established by Ontario Parks to record from which Crown land area visitors who were making interior (backcountry) overnight bookings were planning to access the park and NOT to indicate the existence, number and/or condition of access points with maintained vehicle parking facilities. Shannon also expressed his hope that this map and its legend will be improved by Ontario Parks in the future.

Back