• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

safety review??

Reaction score
Since its the beginning of a new season, and we're excited to get back on the water, can we share some safety tips? Every year we hear of an accident, maybe we can help by sharing good advice.

My tip is; Watch for waves, especially coming from the side. Turn into the wave and use your paddle to keep the canoe stabilized. There are a few YouTube clips on this.

Try to visualize all the bad things that could happen and prepare for them to happen. That way for sure Murphy will stay away.
Bad things are not limited to the water.

Look up before pitching your tent.

My new mantra - "what could go wrong? "

Yep - applies to all potentially hazardous activities.

Hypothermia is the biggest killer this time of year, but it still happens with 80 degree air temps. Dress for immersion.

"Yes, dear," is the safest response to most queries from the distaff side.

Make sure your gear is not only attached to your canoe, but secured from sliding around too much. Heeling a flat bottom canoe and having a 60 lb pack slide sideways 6 inches will make you pucker faster than sucking on a lemon. :eek:

scout. Its sweeper time. Doesn't matter what you are wearing. Cold and dead or warm and dead. Being the first down a river after winter or a storm always scares the bejeesus out of me.
Almost bought it on the Current in Missouri.. normally a nice just moving water river. But a storm had blown an evergreen tree all the way across the river. Trying to eddy out sans eddies in a swift moving class 1 and jump out is no longer my idea of fun.

Last edited:
Check your roof racks. Give them a stout wiggle with no boats on and make sure everything is tight and secure. Check your ropes or cam straps too.

Check your roof racks. Give them a stout wiggle with no boats on and make sure everything is tight and secure. Check your ropes or cam straps too.

Some of them have little sockets that need to be tightened with Allen wrenches. I had forgotten about this till my local dealer- Jon at Collinsville Canoe gave my rack a wiggle.. and it wiggled. he said that was not right and got a wrench.

Some of them have little sockets that need to be tightened with Allen wrenches. I had forgotten about this till my local dealer- Jon at Collinsville Canoe gave my rack a wiggle.. and it wiggled. he said that was not right and got a wrench.

We have Thule Tracker II’s on the truck cap and CR-V roof. The racks lift off then not in use and all that remains is a little bar that is bolted to the roof. Those bolts need a little tightening every year or so and I just keep the allen wrench in the glove box.

The old Quick & Easy’s on the van roof and the Yakima door-clamp towers on my son’s Corolla not so much, probably because there are no rack parts attached 24/7/365.

tie off to the car rack not the cross bar

I wish I could tie the belly lines directly to the vehicle, but none of our’s have factory roof racks. In any case I’d rather tie the belly lines off to something more solid than a factory roof rack. My old Toyota truck had hooks on the outside of the bed rails, a feature that was as handy as side vent windows.

I make do by tying bow lines to the tow hooks and stern lines to the tow hitch receiver, or to stainless steel eye bolts I installed in the bumper. If I have a catastrophic rack failure the boats are still attached to the vehicle.

Surprised there has been no mention of this. Well stocked and up to date (meds) first aid kit.

Despite best practices, stuff happens. And when you really need a first aid kit there is no good substitute.

Surprised there has been no mention of this. Well stocked and up to date (meds) first aid kit.

Despite best practices, stuff happens. And when you really need a first aid kit there is no good substitute.

I take some duct tape and sterile gauze 4x4s. And antibiotic cream. Ibuprofen. Nu skin for abrasion Not on meds. You do not need splints. you dont need miles of elastic bandage.
Vet tape is handy. One big trauma pad..

Its surprising how little you need. If its big enough to require sutures it probably also needs an hour soak in Betadyne and no one carries the amount needed. So I don't carry neither solution nor sutures.

Tetanus shots should be up to date beforehand of course.

Most first aid is common sense.. warm what is cool cool what is warm, hydrate with water and keep your sugar level up.( fed) Some other things really just mask the problem.. like immodium.. Diarrhea in the field either is natural and passes as the noxious is eliminated or it doesnt and should mean the end of th trip.

Don't drive after the sun sets in moose country....:eek:

This would essentially shut down the north in the winter, where the sun sets at 4 and doesn't come up until 8. It is possible to survive in moose country at night, just don't speed, be alert and make sure your headlights are working and clean.

Always wear your PFD is about the best advice you could give anybody. Invest in one that fits and is functional. I wouldn't want my kid to go out there without wearing his so I am not about to preach that with him and not do it myself.

Training. Especially if you paddle on swift rivers, Training is the best tool you can invest in. You ca have all the gear and first aid kit you want but if you don't know how to use it, it is useless!! Knowing the competences of the people in your party is also a good advice, if you know there strength and weakness you will be able to put them at the right task in case of something happen!!

Don't drive after the sun sets in moose country....:eek:
I'd have to stay home. All year. varying amounts of night. I wont ride on a motorcycle at night...:eek: Someone did near my home and his girlfriend was on another bike behind him. He hit a moose and his girl corraled his rolling head.

Gnite all.

Back