• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Saco River ME before summer campers hit..or pimp my ride...

Reaction score
Took a two hour 11 mile paddle down the Saco from Swans Falls( in back of the Fryeburg Fairgrounds) to Walker Bridge (where 302 passes over)

Maiden trip for my new to me Monarch. I need to do some outfitting. It has a spray cover that I did not use this day. It bothers me to not have a thwart for a thwart bag.. and yes it needs deck lines.

Maybe it could use some other stuff I don't know I need yet.

Put in at the old dam

Merganser pair

White Mtns..(NH)

Old course of the Saco and also now a campground. This campground stretches for miles between Swans Falls and downstrem of Rt 5 almost all the way to the Old Course (there are many Old Courses of this meandering river!) and is a good thing. They are cutting down on river rowdies and controlling human waste and indiscriminate campfire use and drinking. Not so much of a beering and boozing river anymore.

New ride (to me)

Near the end

Going out to Muscongus Bay this weekend..the Monarch needs to be on the ocean!

Fancy gear but not new. The Monarch was made in 1991 and the Zaveral paddle came to me in 96. I broke it on the first trip..about 40 km downriver of Mattice on the Missinaibi and we cursed having to carry two halves of carbon fiber (it was a birthday present). But Zav fixed it for free. It's been on plenty of trips since.

Hi!
First post and a question. Great trip report,but I'm wondering if the Saco is navigatable by canoe below Hiram all the way out to the Atlantic? As a Boy Scout we would run from Walkers Falls and take out at Hiram which was a three day leisurely float. Now as an adult scout leader I'm looking for longer trips that I could take the boys on. Last summer we traveled over 50 miles on the Raquette River and lakes in New York. I am also looking at the Allagash trip but that is going to be pretty expsensive. The Saco is much more affordable. Really any ideas on canoe camping 5-9 day trips in the Northeast would be welcome.
Thanks!

Thanks!!
I just order the map and the Maine Quiet Waters book. I'll give it a look and have more questions soon.

Back