• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Russell Green River Knives

I carry a folding knife on me and a sheath knife on my pack away from my body. My knives are razor sharp, and I do not want to fall on my sheath knife even when it's sheathed.

B.B., I'm one of those Ph.D. guys. And there is ample evidence of the compensation myth. I know, I camped/hunted/paddled with them -- once! Canotrouge, I carry a Winchester Scout 30-30, open iron sights.

Choosing the right tool for the job is important, whichever tool for whatever job that might be. I've never needed a big knife in camp; no big bear fights just yet thank goodness. There is such a thing as too big a blade. And too small. Those skinners are designed for their specialized tasks (the geometry of the blade). I have no game to process, so I've no need for such a knife. My small tasks in camp only require a folder.
Related to all this; I recently replaced our kitchen knives at home. The old set were Scandi grind, and although I kept them sharp they never performed perfectly well. I noticed on television that all the chefs were using flat grind. Perusing knife sites on the interweb (just because I like to) I also noticed flat grind blades suggested for slicing tasks. No coincidence then. Our new flat grind kitchen knives work wonders. All my blab is to support my belief that the right tool for the job, whichever, whatever and wherever that may be. Mind you, one could always carry a whatever knife for tripping, just because it's a sentimental favourite.

"... just because it's a sentimental favorite." Good point Odyssey. There should be a small allowance for a piece of gear that is more "old friend" than "tool".

Doc.......
I don't know what kind of Doctor you are, but I do believe (maybe science will back this up) that those guys with big knives and large caliber rifles are just compensating for something.

Compensating for the terrible fragility and lack of natural defenses that evolution has deprived the human body of, while taking advantage of our great capacity to use tools to compensate for those shortcomings.

Though if you're suffering a touch of blade and rifle envy, I can hardly fault you for it.

Tool envy. Careful there Magnus. That opens up a whole lotta feminine feely man vibes we don't want to even think about.
Keep that lid firmly shut on that Pandora's box.
(And now I've p-offed both genders in one post.)

Your a gifted man, Odyssey. Anyway ... I'm gonna make eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy for lunch, then clean the kitchen, then run the vacuum, then watch the football game on TV while holding a Jack London novel in my lap. And I'm out. Doc.

I made up a couple more Green Rivers lately. A hunter and a sheep skinner. I modified the sheep skinner to my take on a Nessmuk'ish style. It's a little more camp kitchen knife than a skinner. The blade must reach the bottom of the peanut butter jar. I don't like the standard handle profile on either knife so I took the angle grinder and bench top belt sander to them, polished them up a bit, and jute wrapped the handles. I saturate the jute in system three clear coat and squeeze out all the extra. It makes for some quick well textured grips. There's either some scrap wood or braided jute (from those firestarter thingys) under the wrapping to build up some bulk.

20170624_161545.jpg

20170624_201818.jpg

20170625_082454.jpg

20170702_120409.jpg

20170702_153632.jpg

20170703_121535.jpg

Last edited:
No Title

Put a little patina on the skinner.

Attachments

• photo7357.jpg
    photo7357.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 0
I like the look of the jute handles. Does the epoxy that you applied totally seal it up from moisture?

2Q==
This is the knife I'm currently using. It's a small Metis trade knife a little over 6 inches total. I bought it because I liked the size and blade shape. When it arrived in the mail I was pleased to find that it had an engraving of a canoe on the blade, this confirmed I made the right choice. I just made a Scandinavian style neck sheath for it last week and it is now my everyday knife. I noticed in an earlier post of yours that you thought a neck knife could be a hazard canoeing. I assume the hazard you refer to is from entanglement in the event of an upset. I don't really see that as an issue, but what goes through my mind is what might happen if I fall on it.

lowangle al the epoxy seals the jute as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not if it was submerged for a really long time, but the knife would rust up well before the jute soaked up any moisture. That's a nice buy you made. I like.

Ontario Knife just down the road from me makes good real inexpensive green river type knives out of carbon steel. I also have one of their survival knives made from D-2 tool steel.

I've got one of their machetes. It's not exactly a trade knife haha. Good stuff though. I think they make the old hickory butcher knives but I could be mistaken.

I have an Old Hickory with the green river type blade and it does also have "Ontario Knife" on the blade. I got it at a flea market years ago because I liked the blade shape but never did anything with it, I have too many knives.

Back