• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Royalex UV damage

Reaction score
Picked up a Wenonah Royalex boat from 2005 that has been sitting in the sun for the last 18 years. Part of the hull has zero pigment left on the vinyl layer...or is the vinyl layer completely disintegrated? Hit it with a very light touch of sandpaper, see second photo, to see if it was surface oxidation. I can't tell if I'm seeing the abs plastic layer, or if this is still the vinyl layer. If it's still vinyl showing, will it offer UV protection without any pigment?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide! Boat will continue to be stored outside. I don't need a show piece, but would like to limit future damage if necessary.IMG_0945.JPGIMG_0947.JPG

Last edited:
87, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

is the vinyl layer completely disintegrated?

I'm not positive, but I don't think the vinyl layer can disintegrate. I've had Royalex canoes partially in sunlight for 30-40 years, and they've gotten chalky and/or faded, but nothing has disintegrated. Millions of houses have vinyl siding. Under the vinyl layer on a Royalex canoe is a thin layer of ABS plastic, which is black on my canoes, and under that is white ABS foam.

There's no doubt the sun has cosmetically damaged the vinyl and maybe even caused that bumpiness that seems to be in the picture. If the hull seems otherwise structurally sound, your least costly approach may be to try to shine and buff it up and then just use it. Alternatively, you could sand and paint it.

What kind of canoe has black abs under the vinyl coating? I have never seen anything other than white(ish) on any of my boats.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the vinyl layer can disintegrate. I've had Royalex canoes partially in sunlight for 30-40 years, and they've gotten chalky and/or faded, but nothing has disintegrated. Millions of houses have vinyl siding. Under the vinyl layer on a Royalex canoe is a thin layer of ABS plastic, which is black on my canoes, and under that is white ABS foam.

There's no doubt the sun has cosmetically damaged the vinyl and maybe even caused that bumpiness that seems to be in the picture. If the hull seems otherwise structurally sound, your least costly approach may be to try to shine and buff it up and then just use it. Alternatively, you could sand and paint it.
Thank you, Glenn. I guess I could try to shine and or buff the hull and see what happens.

After perusing some of the posts with images of damaged hulls I'm starting to think it is the plastic layer that is becoming exposed..

I made the mistake of buying a Wenonah Sandpiper a couple years back that had been stored for decades in the elements. It wasn't so much the aesthetics of the dull chalky vinyl outer skin that concerned me, but the Royalex had lost all of its pliability, in fact it was so hard and brittle one might have mistook it for fiberglass!

I made the mistake of buying a Wenonah Sandpiper a couple years back that had been stored for decades in the elements. It wasn't so much the aesthetics of the dull chalky vinyl outer skin that concerned me, but the Royalex had lost all of its pliability, in fact it was so hard and brittle one might have mistook it for fiberglass!
Thanks for the reply. So I should expect less durability I take it? How much of a problem did the brittleness prove to be? I’m not concerned with aesthetics, just not sure if it needs attention or if it’s ok as is.

So I should expect less durability I take it? How much of a problem did the brittleness prove to be? I’m not concerned with aesthetics, just not sure if it needs attention or if it’s ok as is.

Even if it's gotten somewhat brittle, so are many composite and wood canoes. That doesn't mean you can't use it . . . with care. I mean, avoid dropping it, banging it, and it may not be the right craft for whitewater rivers. What model is it?

So you're in northern California. I used to live there, started my adult canoe buying hobby there in 1980, and have paddled many of the mountain and coastal rivers and lakes there. Where are you planning on paddling the Wenonah?

I bought the Sandpiper for bony streams I frequent in upstate NY; the beauty of RX is that it takes a beating (well, unless weathered) that puts composites in harm's way. I bought it sight unseen, so was unaware of actual condition (sure looked good in the pics!). Sold it to a guy who just wanted to fish small ponds, more so because the darn thing weighed it at 45 pounds, 7 pounds over Wenonah's spec!

Even if it's gotten somewhat brittle, so are many composite and wood canoes. That doesn't mean you can't use it . . . with care. I mean, avoid dropping it, banging it, and it may not be the right craft for whitewater rivers. What model is it?

So you're in northern California. I used to live there, started my adult canoe buying hobby there in 1980, and have paddled many of the mountain and coastal rivers and lakes there. Where are you planning on paddling the Wenonah?
Took it out in the Russian River yesterday for our maiden voyage. Seems great, perfect boat for us.

It’s a 16 foot Aurora. Going to paddle it a few more days here, then planning to take it to the Sierra on a car camping trip in a few weeks. Might try to hit sardine, salmon, or other lakes in the Sierra city area. Light enough that I can get it on and off the car solo, which wasn’t the case with our borrowed old town that was just shy of 90lbs.

What are some of your favorite paddles in our neck of the woods?

Certain parts of the hull look like fiberglass! I was a little confused when I first saw it.

this would be my concern.. my boats always live either indoors or in the shade, have 25 year old boats that are still tough and resilient. A friend's Caption with Royalex hull stored in the sun, has cracked pretty much every time they hit a rock with it.. it's mostly G-flex and Kevlar patches at this point.

If paddling flatwater and easy rivers rather than whitewater, the brittleness is much less of a concern, probably will hold up fine for decades yet.

Back