• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Risk management for groups

Reaction score
the "why I paddle alone thread" touched on risk management for the soloist. I didn't think it a good idea to derail to risk management for more than one but I have been doing paired solo trips for my "group" trips for three or four years ago and do have some concerns. One of the biggest challenges is keeping the group together. During my days as a Registered Maine Sea Kayak Guide I was not guiding alone and usually there were three of us to herd the "cats". Paddlers can scatter amazingly quickly. One of us would lead, one sweep, and one on the side to ensure all stayed close to shore.

But with a paired solo...one and an equally good paddler ( or faster) titles matter not. Its my hubby. In a sea kayak he can take off. Worse he is totally deaf on the water. ( Long Island Sound has one of his hearing aids at the 85 foot mark. That was an expensive lesson). When things are dicey I can explain on land the need to always be side to side within ten seconds of each other. But when he is ahead and things get dicey I can't catch him. I have tried the whistle ( Fox 40..he cant hear it)
Any other suggestions short of a training electric dog collar?

I've had this problem with paddling groups. My solution is to not paddle with whoever won't respect the need to stay together. Period. Full stop.

I refuse to accept the risks involved in arrogance and complacency.

I've had this problem with paddling groups. My solution is to not paddle with whoever won't respect the need to stay together. Period. Full stop.

I refuse to accept the risks involved in arrogance and complacency.

wow.. what assumptions you make about my husband of 45 years. I think I will just ignore you.

Flare gun?

Or else just do that thing wives do; you know, glare really hard at the back of your hubby's head. Most husbands out there know what I'm talking about...we feel a prickly sensation at first, immediately followed by the overwhelming sense that we've done something wrong.
Works every time.

Yes one of those headset and boom mike type of walkie talkie radios. We had some for the boom truck operator and ground handler. Very handy. As an alternative, how long is your paddle...just whack him with it. A cheap and easy solution...tie a string around his waist so you can pull on it to get his attention.

Not to worry, that is a common problem too. I yell at karin if we are in a tricky spot and I need her to do something different. Sometimes I use a different paddle to be able to overcome her efforts. I find a beavertail to work well for getting more power in the back to counter the bow paddler.

Christy

wow.. what assumptions you make about my husband of 45 years. I think I will just ignore you.

Kim, I didn't mean to criticize you. I'm speaking for myself. You and hub may have an agreement where you do things differently. Sorry it didn't occur to me to say that first.

Is it possible to agree that you lead instead of him? I know this might not be the easiest plan to accomplish but it might be worth a try. I'm still in the group stage of life professionally so have always done the lead/sweep/middle set-up but with your current situation it might be best to work out a "leader" before hand and treat it like a group trip. This probably isn't necessary on those days when the waters are glass flat and smooth but when things build up it could be your pre-arranged go-to solution. Just a suggestion. Hope it's worth something to you.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I did some serious cat herding last year with a group of eight. Some middle aged people refuse to be herded and will not stay together. I am done with those frustrations. I look forward to a trip this fall with just my brother and two dogs.

I did some serious cat herding last year

That's too funny, that's exactly the terminology I use when I'm trying to get teenagers out of the school halls and into class on time. Strangely enough, the same kids on a canoe trip are quite obedient, and always stay more or less in formation. Probably afraid of missing their next meal! I have a small crew of experienced guys I trip with, I'm usually out front, but we always regroup on a regular basis. They are skilled enough that if big waves separate us, I feel confident that they will manage. There is another group of adults I do easy three day trips with where I usually play "cat herder", but I never take them anywhere challenging.

Its my hubby. In a sea kayak he can take off. Worse he is totally deaf on the water. ( Long Island Sound has one of his hearing aids at the 85 foot mark. That was an expensive lesson). When things are dicey I can explain on land the need to always be side to side within ten seconds of each other. But when he is ahead and things get dicey I can't catch him. I have tried the whistle ( Fox 40..he cant hear it)
Any other suggestions short of a training electric dog collar?

I’m not an electronica guy. An ear bud on an FRS radio might work, but it would need to be kept on (batteries) and worn.

I guess any solution like a vibrating cell phone or pager would be dependent on being in areas with coverage, so that is less than ideal.

I wonder if there is anything like a FRS radio that transmits and receives text, or that would at least flash or vibrate to signal “Stop, need help”.

Well, as an observer I've got to wonder if he's just wandered off a bit or escaping? But really, if you've got to contact him, get a sling-shot and a hand full of marbles and once you've 'plunked' him once or twice I'll bet his head swivels a whole bunch better!
However, if the sling-shot comes up missing, then my money would be on an escape artist.

Ah....ain't marriage wonderful? If we didn't have it I'd bet we'd have a bunch more world wars.

Rob

I wonder if there is anything like a FRS radio that transmits and receives text, or that would at least flash or vibrate to signal “Stop, need help”.

Yes, there is - or was at least. I have a Motorola frs that is waterproof and has a vibrating alert/call feature. I used to have a pair, but one took a deep swim where I couldn't recover it. I haven't gotten around to seeing if I can replace it with another just like it yet, but I'd be surprised if that feature isn't still available. That's what I would suggest, as it isn't dependent on any stationary infrastructure. Just make sure, Kim, that you buzz him before he gets beyond line of sight - since the signal can be blocked by large objects such as canyon walls.

Just about any of those cheap hand held walkie talkies will do what is needed. I use them all the time with the high school kids. You can set it to a beep mode, which is loud enough to wake the dead, and even the voice settings are also very loud. Lights flash too. Think the last pair I bought were 25 bucks. Says they are good for 5 k, but in reality, a kilometer is pushing it.

Kim, I was just having a little chuckle on remembering something you might find useful as a more low-tech option. I used to know a guy who was an avid bow-hunter. He told me about his practice of using a "blunt" to get another hunter's attention without making noise (this was before the days of electronic devices ). No, not that kind of blunt you guys............a blunt arrow. They make the tips out of rubber. Kind of like little rubber crutch tips.

Guys - I was picturing in my mind, Kim drawing back a little recurve in preparation to launch an arrow at her escaping husband's back. Hey - it could work! :)

Use a surreptoline, which I've just invented.

You attach a strong fishing reel to the thwart in front of you. You attach some strong but invisible fishing line surreptitiously to his stern while he's not looking. When he gets too far ahead, you reel in the line so he begins to tow you. Then you slowly reel in closer as you sip ambrosia. Mike McCrea could work out the fancier implementation details.

I paddled Lake Shasta with some friends once and a guy brought walkie talkies. They seemed intrusive so I gave it back to him.

Back