• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Rib Tips

Reaction score
This is the method I use to do rib tips on our w/c canoe projects. I have tried numerous ways and this just seems to work the best. Anyone have a better idea I am open to improving my methodology.

This project boat we needed quite a few, but, as we take care of them we have found most have some degree of dry rot so we will most likely do ALL 112 tips. Having started on my day off Friday, I have 48 done so far, limited to 8 at a time due to lack of spring clamps. I have to wait about 3 hours between sets for the epoxy to cure enough to allow movement on the boat. I switched back to using epoxy since I don't trust the wood glues, even those that claim to be water proof. We did Red's Tremblay with Tightbond 3, so if it stays intact we will have a better idea of it's usefulness.

The PPE I am wearing in the first photo is partly due to the fact I am badly allergic to white cedar dust. Even a single whiff will make me ill for a couple of weeks with flu like symptoms.

After getting the angle correct I roll it on the back edge of the belt to contour the tip to match the ribs approximately. I have found that although it takes longer, matching them one by one is less work in the long run as there is little to no shaping to match it to the rib after the epoxy sets. A set of 8 takes about 45 minutes from when I start with the belt sander on the boat.

Attachments

• photo6253.jpg
    photo6253.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6254.jpg
    photo6254.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6255.jpg
    photo6255.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6256.jpg
    photo6256.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6257.jpg
    photo6257.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6258.jpg
    photo6258.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6259.jpg
    photo6259.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 0
I think you have a good method.
I use PPE's too. WRC doesn't like me ether !
When I scarf gunnels, I'll mix resin and hardener, and apply a coating of this to the mating surfaces. With the left over, I'll mix in fillers, growned glass,wood dust and cab-o-sil (Fumed Silica) Apply this to the mating surfaces as well. Clamp and let set. I'll clean the excess before it hardens.
Haven't had one come apart yet !

Jim

That's how I do it too, that canoe will look a 1000% better with those rib tips. I still use Tightbond III.

That belt sander was made for these rib tips. The best part is after you trim the new tips down close to the inwales/gunnels and then run the belt sander over them for a smooth like new looking canoe. Really makes it all worth the effort.

Back