• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Retired Paddlers Network

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike McCrea came up with the concept of a "retired paddlers network" on the defunct solotripping.com site several years ago, sometime after we had a long thread on places to paddle along the I95 corridor on the US eastern seaboard.

I like the various aspects of this idea, especially as I prepare for my first trip (finally) in several years down to Florida this fall from Connecticut.

Perhaps I could invite Mike to outline his concept again.

On long road trips I appreciate having fellow paddlers available along the way to stop and visit. I have paddling friends scattered around the country where I can lay-over, and many of my contemporaries are retired and unscheduled.

I think (I hope) that I have other friends that I’ve simply never met. And I’d like to.

Those being folks from one paddling board or another who would not be averse to me sleeping in the back of my truck in their driveway overnight, or setting up a tent in the yard.

A level truck or van space alone would be a great help on long road trips, and I don’t need much else. A shower or recommendation for a local breakfast diner would be icing on the cake. I’ll treat.

Some of that lay-over compatibility for me is the real estate adage of “Location, location, location”. I am not altogether comfortable sleeping in someone’s guest room, especially when I have a travelling truck with everything I need thoughtfully positioned at my fingertips.

Provided I am home and not off on a trip myself I would be most pleased to host wandering paddlers, and meet some friends I know only from their on-line character.

I am conveniently located 4 miles and two simple turns off I-83, just south of the Mason Dixon Line in Maryland. Lots of flat driveway space and yard, flush toilets and most of the modern conveniences. Wi-Fi. Beer in the frig. Fully equipped shop if a boat needs work. Plus a great country diner 10 miles away.

How would those connections work? I dunno, private message, followed by e-mail conversation and phone call to make sure both parties are willing and available at the time

There are some folks I’d really like to meet someday. And you too Glenn.

PM on the way soon.

I will qualify in one year, then I plan on going all over. :)

If you are ever stuck getting around the southern tip of Lake Michigan and need a stay-over, just let me know. Not a lot of good paddling here though.

Cary

After Christmas this year I will join the ranks of liberated paddlers and I too welcome wandering paddlers at our home. We live in NE Pennsylvania on a 460 acre glacial lake and are a ten minute trip to the Delaware river.

I'm an hour north of Portland you are quite welcome here. Have plenty of room and a waterfront campsite an hour north of Portland. (My first post didn't go through. So things don't quite make sense. No wonder I have not met Mike. I've never been on 83

At first I thought a section on the forum where folks could post their travels and hosting options might be helpful, but that might not be a good idea in case of a mishap and who was responsible for the initial contact.

Just the way things are anymore.

Just the one time I've been visited by a distant, distant relative (as in who the heck are you?) who arrived on the island unannounced and thought I ought to put them up and guide them about various sights here. I didn't win any hearts and minds nor do I expect any Christmas cards from them. Later I asked my mother in one of her more lucid moments who they were, turns out we are related if you follow the lines back, way, way back.
It's a funny to downright strange world, those jerks were related to me, I guess. Given what we know about the internet, I'd be really shy of making any offers of any kind of hospitality, camping spot or what ever. I'm quite content to worry just about bears.

Hospitality Scrooge, Rob

Who can or can't be trusted? I don't think there's an easy answer to that.
Robin being practical and concerned is very wise, because in this crazy mixed up world, it's never easy finding friends among strange faces. But, sometimes it is.
​ We're not yet retired, but open to this idea. We're trusting, warm and friendly, and just a little careful. There's room in the driveway, and a spare room or two to bunk in. We're an 1 hr south of Toronto, an 1 1/2 hrs west of Buffalo; not exactly en route to many paddling destinations. Do some laundry, relax in our kitchen with us over a meal, and help yourself to the coffee pot, tea kettle, beer fridge or wine briefcase ( I keep bottles in my antique briefcase in the dining room). My friends are always welcome.

Last edited:
Ah retirement. I have heard of such fascinating periods of life. Yet every time I look down the road, my retirement date seems to pull away from me further into the future. Assuming that one of these days I can retire, and assuming I am still healthy enough to paddle, this sounds like a network I'd be interested in.

Yet even though retirement is not in the cards for me for, oh, probably another 15 years or so (unless the retirement rules of my employer change AGAIN), I'd be happy to host wayward paddlers looking for a flat driveway to park a camper or hay-scented field to plop a tent. I'm not really near any major highways, but I do have some decent day trip paddling in the area. Access to modern facilities, wifi, and friendly pets.

-rs

I hope to retire in the next few years. We are in Dover, Delaware (mid-state), which is not likely directly on anyone’s flight path, but we have a nice big lawn in the back yard, a screened porch, and a garage. Anyone canoe tripping and posting on this board from time to time is more than welcome for a stopover with some advance notice. Cheers, Dave

I could have a growler of Caged Alpha Monkey on hand for anyone who wanted to spend the night in our back yard. Other than that, I probably cannot offer much more than facilities for morning ablutions.

There is no one on this thread I would hesitate to host at my home overnight. Some I’ve already met here and there along the watery way, whose company I have enjoyed, and some unmet I am sure I would. And there are already a few within my sometimes road trip stomping grounds whom I would like to visit overnight.

And, bluntly, if I had qualms about someone I’d just beg off, saying that I was busy or would be away myself. And if it was some unknown Nigerian Prince or whackjob inquiring I’d simply not respond.

As a wandering retiree I am often away, so hosting in prime paddling season becomes more hit or miss.

I wouldn’t want to put Robin or Canoe Tripping at any risk, but a vague address-less hereabouts-is-where-I-am would probably suffice and allow interested parties to PM, e-mail and possibly exchange other contact information.

I don’t think this needs E-Harmony compatibility software, and there are some big blank spots around and across the continent in my mental map of “Here be friends”.

Just the one time I've been visited by a distant, distant relative (as in who the heck are you?) who arrived on the island unannounced and thought I ought to put them up and guide them about various sights here.
I'd be really shy of making any offers of any kind of hospitality, camping spot or what ever. I'm quite content to worry just about bears.

Hospitality Scrooge

Scrooge, I promise I won’t show up unannounced, but you are one of those I’d like to meet someday. And I don’t think we are related, so there’s that.

I plan to retire in 2015, hopefully leaving plenty of time for paddling and camping with MDB, as well as time for many more canoe builds...
I am 10 minutes from I87 and I90, just west of Albany, NY. The closest corner of the ADK's is just 45 minutes away, and prime spots like Lila and Essex Chain are but 2 hours from here. We have day tripped to Lila, just sayin'. I have several suburban acres, and another 17 acres just down the road that MDB and I will build on next year.

There is a Private Messaging system where one can more discretely inquire or accept or deny invites. Its always nice to have a little advance notice anyway to ensure there is adequate laundry soap and toilet paper. I'm in the path of most going to the Allagash or Flagstaff or the Bow trip. I am of a certain age where paranoia over meeting" strangers" is not a real concern to me. My Golden Retriever will have the final say but from what I figure, she will quickly be in all your laps begging for attention.

I'm still a spring chicken. Some people on here probably have more years in a boat than I have walking the planet. That, my spending habits and philosophy on life puts me very far away from retiring.

My location isn't really close to anything exciting in terms of paddling, and we don't have a guest bed but I'd welcome any passerbyers of the great city of Rochester, NY to look me up and I can join you for a meal, a night at a campground or a paddle or hike nearby.

If you happen to fly into Rochester Int'l Airport I am closer than I'd like to be, so I can pick you up if you fly into town (I don't know why you would if your business was anything to do with canoe tripping).

As far weirdos on the internet I've met DuctTape and Conk from this forum. I don't know either of them that well but I don't feel like they are psycho killers or anything like that... Anyway, I hope they could at least say the same about me.

And despite my youth I have no aversion to those I'll politely call experienced. I work and interact with people of all ages. Despite my sass now and again, I usually have a general respect for people who have amassed more knowledge than myself.

Last edited:
Experience= Darwin hasn't needed us yet.

Oscar Wilde put it this way. Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

If it's of any help to anyone my wife & I are slowly getting into the B&B world. We've added a few rooms with private baths to our old farmhouse so there's lots of room. We're not charging per se just yet but someday we hope to be open full time; we're both still working at one of the local colleges for the moment. Anyway, besides rooms there are places to camp on our property and we're only a mile as the crow flies from the Susquehanna River; about 12 miles downstream of where the river exits Otsego Lake in Cooperstown. We're on the way to the Adirondacks for some folks and maybe just a place to stay if you're interested in visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame (10 miles from our front door), the Fenimore Art Museum, Farmer's Museum (a 19th century village made up of all historic buildings brought to the site) or the Glimmerglass Opera. So if you're interested in paddling, the arts or baseball, we may be in the right location for you. Let me know if you're ever passing through and we'll see how we can hook you up.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Not that anyone would likely find themselves in the middle of Manitoba, but we have a backyard worthy of a campground for anyone who might be considering a Bloodvein/Berens/Poplar River trip in the future. Christine will be retired in a handful of years and I personally am on the Freedom 85 program.

Back