• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Repairing spider cracks in gelcoat

Reaction score
I have a Bell Northstar blackgold canoe that is now about 19 years old. It is starting to show its age with stress cracks from being dropped on portages, etc. Is there information and advice available on repairing these cracks? The gelcoat is clear, and I really don't want to paint the canoe, I just want to keep it in good shape for the next 19 years.

Erik

If you want it to last 19 more years don't drop it.
It is possible to repair some fine cracks with epoxy in a hypodermic needle. You may have to drill some small diameter holes the width of the needle. If the problems are not structural I would just live with them. Canoes are made to be used and showing some wear should be expected.

I restored a Black Gold Bell Wildfire that had a lot of fine spider cracks in the clear polyester gel coat. The appearance was considerably improved by wet sanding the entire hull down to 2000 grit, then applying several thin coats of System Three Clear Coat epoxy, which is a very low viscosity epoxy.

You could also probably get similar results with West Systems 105 resin and 207 special clear hardener. The low viscosity epoxy will tend to fill in the spider cracks. They won't all become invisible, but they will be much less noticeable.

If you go this route it is best to cover the cured epoxy with a good quality marine varnish for UV protection.

Back