• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Removable Seat

Reaction score
Has anyone made a seat removable? If so, how did you do it, and did you accommodate a temporary thwart too? I'm just kicking around ideas to free up space for gear and mut.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "removable".

All hung bench seats are obviously removable by taking the nuts off the drop bolts. My SRT's movable seat is a little more easily removable because I use wing nuts on the attachment rail bolts instead of regular nuts. The sliding solo seats in my Lotus BJX and Lotus Caper can be completely removed in three seconds simply by sliding them completely off the slider rails that sit on top of side pods.

Something like Stripperguy’s clever (re)movable seat might work. Post #5

I have installed a wing-nutted thwart on a solo/tandem rebuild. Although I don’t much like wing nuts it served the purpose.

I edited Mike's post above to unfurl and go directly to Stripperguy's post #5, but I note that the links to his photos in that post don't seem to work properly. Does anyone else have problems seeing the pictures? Those photos were attached when the site ran under vBulletin, which is likely the problem. (If Strippeguy wants, I could help him edit and re-post those pictures.)

Another of Stripperguy's posts (#9) in that thread does seem to have a working link to a removable seat build thread in the Adirondack Forum, which does have pictures.

Given that 1” squares of Dual-lock on the ends of a standard wood seat frame held 37lbs

https://www.canoetripping.net/threa...-and-tests-for-canoe-uses.118158/#post-118509

It would not be hard to make hung rails, much like the slider rails here in Cheeseandbeans thread, with Dual-Lock on the frame ends and rails.

https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/adjustable-front-seat-in-a-tandem.127443/#post-135717

The rails wouldn’t need to be much wider than the seat, although a bit of extra length would allow for trim custom seat location when in use.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "removable".

All hung bench seats are obviously removable by taking the nuts off the drop bolts. My SRT's movable seat is a little more easily removable because I use wing nuts on the attachment rail bolts instead of regular nuts. The sliding solo seats in my Lotus BJX and Lotus Caper can be completely removed in three seconds simply by sliding them completely off the slider rails that sit on top of side pods.
Sliding off rails sounds good. Maybe mounting T&G rails using the existing seat hangers? It's a bench seat, woven with parachute cord. Doesn't look comfortable.

Last edited:
This article on in-canoe sleep setups has some interesting ideas for lock pin quick release thwarts. IIRC this appeared in the print version of Canoe Roots at some point.

CMYK_PB300180-1.jpg

Back