• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Refinishing wood gunwales

This is what he uses. It also comes in a walnut if that’s something you like.

Attachments

• E1CB03A2-E336-4A43-BBF5-B2C5BB168B3F.jpeg
    E1CB03A2-E336-4A43-BBF5-B2C5BB168B3F.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2
I've long been a fan of General Finishes products. I use them for fine woodworking, and I used them on a recent paddle build for the grips. They're basically a formulated penetrating oil finish. You can't hardlly mess them up. If it's bare wood, I saturate it on first coat. It soaks in. They've really expanded their product line over the years, but I primarily use:

Seal-A-Cell: My first couple coats for everything.
Arm-R-Seal: A really tough "hand rubbed" finish for interior work
Outdoor Oil: Contains UV inhibitors. I used this on my recent paddle grips.

I don't know if the company endorses this or not, but I've wiped their top coats over "mystery finishes" with excellent results to clean it up. I've never used their water based finishes. They could be fine, but I'm old school. All of their oil based finishes are very similar to tung oil finishes in application, but seem to be quite a bit more durable

I've long been a fan of General Finishes products. I use them for fine woodworking, and I used them on a recent paddle build for the grips. They're basically a formulated penetrating oil finish. You can't hardlly mess them up. If it's bare wood, I saturate it on first coat. It soaks in. They've really expanded their product line over the years, but I primarily use:

Seal-A-Cell: My first couple coats for everything.
Arm-R-Seal: A really tough "hand rubbed" finish for interior work
Outdoor Oil: Contains UV inhibitors. I used this on my recent paddle grips.

I don't know if the company endorses this or not, but I've wiped their top coats over "mystery finishes" with excellent results to clean it up. I've never used their water based finishes. They could be fine, but I'm old school. All of their oil based finishes are very similar to tung oil finishes in application, but seem to be quite a bit more durable
Forgot the link to their website if you've never heard of them:

Thank you, all. I decided to go with the tung oil, since that was what was used originally.

I sanded well.

I put one coat of tung oil half and half with mineral spirits. Allowed to dry.

One coat of straight tung oil. Dried in about 3 days or so.

Second coat of tung oil, two weeks ago. It is still somewhat tacky. :(

One suggestion online was to wipe again with mineral spirits. I tried that out lightly on a about 2 feet of gunwale. It dried tacky again.

Here are two pictures. The canoe is upside down, so the first photo shows the underside of the gunwale and the second photo shows the upper surface of the gunwale. The tiny bits are blown on while the canoe has been drying.

IMG-0575.jpg

GunwaleTop.jpg

A lot of low odor mineral spirits don't mix well with finishes. I had some completely gum up Epifanes.

My recommendations is to sand it down until it isn't sticky and apply tung oil not thinned. It really is not necessary to thin tung oil notwithstanding what instructions say, especially if the wood was previously finished with tung oil.

I have a question? Can you just switch oils (blo to hemp oil) or do you need to re sand the wood? The reason I ask is the I have mildew on the bottom of the outwales so I've sanded every thing nicely and have put one coat of (blo) on. Since hemp is mildew resistant, and natural it appeals to me. Can I switch now with out re sanding ( one coat of blo) or scuff it up and the hemp. Remember the big guy upstairs gave us seed bearing plants and herbs to use. Thanks.

I don’t know anything about hemp seed oil, there I got that out of the way. BLO is also made from seeds but boiling changes it so it will harden. Does the hemp seed oil harden? I don’t think it will matter much if you switch as in adverse reaction. Do a test on another piece of wood to find out.
Jim

Iam not sure either. I just read it above, about the hemp seed oil, and the fact it might be mildew resistant. On my bow and stern were the gunwales meet, it seems like there is black stuff. I have sanded all the rest, and it looked, and looks fine. ( to this untrained eye). I am just wondering what the back side of those look like. The boat basically hung since 19 in a barn. Some times I get a little ocd. But thanks for the reply

Back