• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Redbull Urban Portage

Hhahahahahahaaha effing red bull everything... Pretty soon there will be a red bull bannok cooking and red bull wool socks knitting... Everything to make money!

It truly is an “urban” portage. Not to take away from the times these athletes turned in, but no 60 pound pack, no wet feet, no slippery rocks at the take out or put in, no downed trees to climb over and if you get injured there are probably medical personnel nearby. I guess I have different perspective. Congratulations to all who competed.

For sure much easier without a pack, but I was really surprised with the put-in and take-outs on Basset Creek. Lots of people ate it on slippery rocks and mucky banks. For liability reasons, Id expect a different route in future years. Even with the portaging, those professional canoe racers crushed all us canoe tripper types. Unreal how fast they move in the water.

Boy If I could !!!
Pretty cool idea !

Oh if I was 50 yrs younger !

Jim

We did it in about 2 hrs 20 min and were in the middle of the pack. The winners finished in a blazing hour and a half. We paddled an old 18 foot kevlar Jensen that we use for tripping (the one I added a layer of glass to along with several patches). It would be interesting to see how those ultralight spaceship canoes would fair in the BWCA if you packed light.

Great job, you posted a good time. It is nice to hear you had fun adventure and challenge.
I am not sure you could pack the racing boats light enough, especially in any rough water.
They might do well even with the self-bailers and spray decks they employ.
I am sure others could attest to the seaworthiness better than myself.
Thanks for posting about your participation in the event.
It is more appealing than the Ely Portage Marathon!

I did my urban portaging through Minneapolis a few years back when paddling the Mississippi and they wouldn’t allow me to go through the locks. Something about a highway falling into the river or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back