• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Recent Upgrade

I think that that advice re the Tolstoy is quite poor. Canoetripping especially solo involves judgment. Good judgment does not come from one liners or the foul +1. Those give us no insight into the thought process behind the choices.

I enjoy reading posts that make me think and help me think more rationally rather than jumping on a popularity bandwagon. There are a few posters that take the time to elaborate their findings and show us their reasoning behind their decision, which is to me quite educational.

In this day and age people's attention span is sure going to rot, but I don't think caving into it does us any mental favors.

Trip reports, a favorite of this site and its ancestors, are sometimes very long with many pictures. The best discussions on the ancestor sites, in my opinion, were those where several posters would research issues, post links to authorities, and discuss or debate the issues in a detailed and thorough way.

What is the point of a "preview" function that doesn't accurately preview. Thousands of websites offer preview functions that provide a clone image of the eventual post. Here, the preview function: alters line lengths and formatting, doesn't show inline videos as videos (just as URLs), and doesn't have click-able URL links that you can test.

The very purpose of a preview function is to prevent surprises in the published post and to avoid the necessity of having to edit, ex post facto, published posts.

I think that that advice re the Tolstoy is quite poor. Canoetripping especially solo involves judgment. Good judgment does not come from one liners or the foul +1. Those give us no insight into the thought process behind the choices.

I enjoy reading posts that make me think and help me think more rationally rather than jumping on a popularity bandwagon. There are a few posters that take the time to elaborate their findings and show us their reasoning behind their decision, which is to me quite educational.

In this day and age people's attention span is sure going to rot, but I don't think caving into it does us any mental favors.

Asking someone's intent helps prevent misinterpretation. It's even better to question one's own biases.
To express my intent less succinctly, I might have suggested instead that long-winded writers pare down their extended prose to what the audience is likely to pay attention to. That, of course, depends on the audience. I had no thought of advocating one-liners.

There's another twist here, which is that it's starting to feel like more current than I'm willing to paddle against.

Last edited:
So far I haven't really run into long winded prose here. Some time ago on other forums I read trip reports that detailed the drive, where they got coffee where they had lunch when to the minute.. A third of the TR was devoted to the non trip part of the trip.Those to me were kind of a turn off.

Glenn wrote a long paper actually multiple posts on PLB vs SPOT research that he did that I found quite interesting on another forum

But when someone writes that X is best, I like to know what the underlying thoughts and experiences were or are. Usually there is no right and wrong answer cause no two people are the same.

However I did run off and buy a PLB!

During writing up my solo TR the other day I had several "invalid server blah blah" warnings while writing. I would write a paragraph, highlight and save as I went once that began happening. Once finished I dropped the photo's in from photobucket, saved it again and hit preview. I always preview to ensure the photo's show up how I want them and I can find my own typo's. By the time I had it done and went to post it, I had been logged out.

I relogged, pasted it all back into the box and posted it, despite still getting server warnings. It showed up exactly as previewed.

I'm still having issues with navigating the site, but I'm not a big fan of change anyway. Why take a perfectly functional design and change it (other than beefing up the security), and throw everyone into disarray. Perhaps it is just us older folk who have issues with them constantly altering perfectly use-able formats to suit the device crazed general population?

I know we cannot change it back, but I hope I get a handle on navigating Before they change the format again at VBulletin.

I make my trip reports in word. I copy and paste my pic url's from photobucket into the word file, then copy the whole word file and paste it into the post part.

I make my trip reports in word. I copy and paste my pic url's from photobucket into the word file, then copy the whole word file and paste it into the post part.
Why that would work for you and not for me is beyond me. Some of the pictures come out.. some don't.

Back