• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Re-useing/ R- gluing vinyl anchors with G Flex?

Reaction score
Quick question. Is it worth trying to re-use vinyl anchor? I saved a box of old Northwater anchors that fell off of a Roylex boat and now I need a couple anchors on a fiber glass boat. I was going to use G-Flex epoxy to glue them on. I've tried 3M adhesive remover on them but sand paper is still schmearing adhesive residue. Any thoughts about how the G-Flex will bond? Thanks, Woody

Quick question. Is it worth trying to re-use vinyl anchor? I saved a box of old Northwater anchors that fell off of a Roylex boat and now I need a couple anchors on a fiber glass boat. I was going to use G-Flex epoxy to glue them on. I've tried 3M adhesive remover on them but sand paper is still schmearing adhesive residue. Any thoughts about how the G-Flex will bond?

With the vinyl pad D-rings I prefer, Northwater double D’s, running $8 apiece I’d give it a shot. Especially if the location is for something like tying in float bags or gear under the decks of a 1977 Kamerad ;-)

Especially if you can get all or most of the old adhesive residue off the pads.

If the D-rings “fell out” of a Royalex canoe I doubt they were installed with vinyl adhesive, contact cement is more likely. One of the best contact cement residue removers I have found is . . . . contact cement.

Paint a coat of contact cement on the pad, let it set up ‘til tacky and rub/roll it around with a gloved hand. The solvent in the fresh contact cement will loosen the old residue and the rolling ball of goo will pick up more and more traces.

You might have to coat and rub the pads a couple times, but if originally installed using contact cement you should be able to get most of the residue off.

After the contact cement “eraser” I’d clean the bottom of the pads with acetone, and maybe rubbed with some 0000 steel wool, before G/flexing them in place.

Once you have them G/flexed in the hull cover the pads with a sheet of wax paper and pile a couple large Zip-lock bags of sand on top. Take the sand bag weights and wax paper off every 30 minutes or so, push down any areas of the pad that are not sitting flush and fair and put the wax paper/sand bags back in place.

I am convinced that running a bead of E-6000 Goop (cheaper than Plumber’s Goop, just as effective) around the perimeter of the pad after the epoxy has set helps prevent water, grit and sand infiltration and the edges of the pad lifting over time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-Adh...0021/484524121

Last edited:
I think I may end up using a different kind of anchor patch but I do have a new to me technology to report. I had ordered a rotary adhesive and pinstripe remover to clean up the sand encrusted contact cement that is all over the interior of my own personal Klepper Kamerad. I chucked the eraser up in a drill press and it seemed to take a lot of the cement off the patches. I took it out side to the boat with a high speed grill and it was stripping off resin and fiber glass, so I used it as a hand sander and got most of the grit off the boat interior in half an hour. I had tried a pressure washer, but that was ineffective.

Last edited:
Back