• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Q17

Reaction score
The first mate and I returned from Quetico yesterday. Just 4 nights but we are happy to have had the opportunity. We entered Quetico Lake via Beaverhouse and portaged to Badwater. On the portage it got darker and the thunder was rolling. We hightailed it at ramming speed to the first campsite and hung the tarp and pitched the tent in record time before all heck broke loose. It must have dumped 2" in a half hour and the storm was right on top of us with strong wind. The water came down the hill and we were standing in an inch of water. We christened it "Camp Misery".

P7301058

As fast as it came it was over and we enjoyed a nice sunset.

P7301066

After a night in the West Bay, we moved northeast and went up McAlpine Creek into Kasakokwok where we got a good workout because the wind had shifted to the east.

P8021116

Into Cirrus Lake we stopped to look at Sue Falls.

P8021126

Farther west on Cirrus we camped on a small island and rested after a long day. A pair of herring gulls was waiting for handouts.

P8021142

All to soon it was time to leave again. On the way home we made stops at Fort William in Thunder Bay,

P8031160

a chip wagon (Thanks, frozentripper, for your link to the Trans Canada Fryway ;)),

P8041169

and the Mackinac Bridge.

P8051178

We pimped out our new canoe (Wenonah Escape) which worked out very well and was a good solution to the Canoe Sudoku from earlier this year.

Image 8-6-17 at 10.35 AM

PS: Thanks to Alan Gage for his flickr tutorial.

Last edited:
Great trip report.

In the first picture, are those two paddles being used as a tarp pole? What's holding them together?

I would also like the source of that decal, it is awesome, and I have a build starting soon ... it would be a perfect addition. Thanks for posting , I am soooo needing a trip, fortunately I have 3 planned in the near future.

Brian

I was supposed go to Quetico and enter on Beaverhouse in early July, but it didn't work out. I'm envious, but I enjoyed the pictures and the storm description. Thanks for the report.

Great trip report.

In the first picture, are those two paddles being used as a tarp pole? What's holding them together?

Like bcelect says, it's a paddle joiner like Bothwell's. I made it myself from some Cordura fabric (salvaged from an old garment bag bought at Goodwill for a couple dollars, nylon webbing, velcro, and some plastic buckles. Works great. Normally I put a 'sock' on the bottom handle to protect it from getting gouged, but it was put up in a hurry because of the thunderstorm.

I would also like the source of that decal, it is awesome, and I have a build starting soon ... it would be a perfect addition. Thanks for posting , I am soooo needing a trip, fortunately I have 3 planned in the near future.

Brian

Cruiser, I sent you a PM.

Back