• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Powdered peanut butter...

Reaction score
So I found that today in my local grocery store in the organic section... Powdered Peanut Butter... I think it will be great for the weight conscious or in the winter where PB just get so hard that you basically have to break the jar to get to it!! http://www.bettylousinc.com/powdered-peanut-butter/powdered-pb.html
I got the original, and the chocolate one... Not cheap, but I really think that if it is half good, it will a great addition to the food box!!

Interesting. I found some on Amazon and ordered a bottle. Might be fun to powder some bannock bread with it.

My wife has been using the powdered stuff from Jif in her morning breakfast shakes. She really likes it though we haven’t tried making actual PB from it yet.

I was thinking it might go well being added to oatmeal in the morning while camping to add protein/energy.

Powdered peanut butter? Is nothing sacred? We used to get tubes of peanut butter in the ration packs that we kept inside our shirt to keep them warm and pliable. Single serving size.
Oddly enough, I never take peanut butter in the bush. That stuff is magic to critters...its asking for trouble just having it in camp.

It as all the oil removed so doesn't make very good PB spread, imagine adding water to flour to make a thick batter.

Great for cooking though! We use it mostly to make a satay sauce for noodles.

Powdered peanut butter? Is nothing sacred? We used to get tubes of peanut butter in the ration packs that we kept inside our shirt to keep them warm and pliable. Single serving size.
Oddly enough, I never take peanut butter in the bush. That stuff is magic to critters...its asking for trouble just having it in camp.

Always have lots of it and never ever had a problem... There is a lot of stuff way worst than PB I think!!

It as all the oil removed so doesn't make very good PB spread, imagine adding water to flour to make a thick batter.

Great for cooking though! We use it mostly to make a satay sauce for noodles.

I thought it would appeal to the instant coffee drinker..... Doesn't need to taste good, just need to look like the real thing... hahahaha

Most of the fat is removed so that takes away the appeal for me. That's the big reason I carry PB in the first place....plus it tastes good.

Alan

I need my fix of peanut butter in a white bread sandwich every once in awhile. But that's seldom. About as often as a hotdog, and goodness knows that doesn't come along very often. (Thankfully she says.) I can't imagine a fake peanut butter sandwich, much less a desiccated hotdog. Oh wait, yes I can. I tried a Tofurkey and actually loved it, although it tasted more like mushrooms than turkey. A trade-off of funky chicken for fungi? Tryptophan for tofu? Hmm, let me think about it. Not sure about a powdered peanut butter product; it can take a powder. Ha. But if it tastes good, who knows? Might be worth the reduced fat and artery clogging. But only if it's chunky. Smooth is for wimps. (lol)

Most of the fat is removed so that takes away the appeal for me. That's the big reason I carry PB in the first place....plus it tastes good.

Alan

Yes, I agree. Even if I get lots of fat from other foods, and I'm really not sure about the taste, I didn't tried it yet... I will report back once I try some!!

A peanut butter trip report. Priceless.

Oh, I just thought of a new thread. Peanut butter is a sticky subject isn't it?

Last edited:
I use peanut butter powder as a protein source, usually in my hot cereal. It's a lot less costly in No. 10 cans from people like Honeyville Farms, in the US. I usually carry some peanut butter singles for snacks.

I might well starve if I didn’t have peanut butter on a trip. It is part of my usually fast easy lunch, either pre-made and baggied at the ready, or stopped ashore and smeared on some flatbread or bagel.

But only if it's chunky. Smooth is for wimps. (lol)

Always chunky at home, but in the field I prefer smooth for easier spreadability, and make it custom chunky with the addition of some nuts or gorp. If I really need a fat and calories boost, peanut butter and sharp cheese.

My peanut butter powder experiment began and ended today. I tried it on some hot buttered toast and then sauteed some in butter to pour on a toasted bagel. I tried a couple bananas with the powder - one with a chocolate dip and one without. Spread a piece of toast with raspberry jam and sprinkled it with the magic PB dust. Its a peanut flavor but not a peanut butter flavor.

Useful for cooking I imagine but I have no need for that. Gave it to a friend who makes smoothies most every day.

I'm stickin' with my sweet creamy peanut butter :)

Disclaimer: As taste is very subjective, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I got some of the chocolate flavoured powder as well. My son really liked it, me so-so. We found it worked nicely as a sort of icing on baked goods. We experimented with steam baking some cupcakes and the powdered pb made the deserts taste extra good. For cleanup, he would dip pieces of pita like a sort of hummus and clear the mixing bowl.

On a 5 day canoe trip with my scout troop, one of the other leaders found a source for powdered jelly for our peanut butter sandwiches(a staple). It was what they use for the jelly in jelly doughnuts. To this day I can't stand to eat a jelly doughnut with that stuff in it!

Back