• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

polyurethane hull repair question

G

im new so forgive me if this is a stupid question. just bought a wenonah northfork that doesnt need repair but yould like to smooth things up a bit if you know what i mean. what material will actually adhear to polyurethane. would petex work or is something else used?

Think you mean polyethylene[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I[/FONT] which has a reputation for being very hard to repair. On the flip side, it is very hard to damage as well. I have a poly boat that has many scratched and dings on it. I'm not sure there is any way you could smooth it out, but you might be able to apply something like 303 and make it shiny again.
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-Aerospace-Protectant-8oz/dp/B00023AZJG

Wenonah Northfork

Wenonah Northfork

im new so forgive me if this is a stupid question. just bought a wenonah northfork that doesnt need repair but yould like to smooth things up a bit if you know what i mean. what material will actually adhear to polyurethane. would petex work or is something else used?

The Wenonah Northfork was actually a rotomolded polyethylene hull. I believe it was Wenonah’s first entry into rotomolded poly hulls. And perhaps their last as it was not produced for long.

G/flex epoxy will adhere to polyethylene is you prep the hull properly.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy-adhesion-data/

I’m not sure what you mean by “smooth things up a bit”. If the hull has scrapes and scratches I’d just leave them alone unless they are especially deep. Trying to resurface an entire poly hull bottom would be a PITA, and the Northfork already weighs close to 90 lbs.

The Northfork needed some arch in the bottom; the long flat bottom tended to develop permanent concavities and oil canned when paddling. If that’s what you mean by “smooth things out” you could try adding some vertical stand-offs from the yoke and seats to the bottom.

The Wenonah Northfork was actually a rotomolded polyethylene hull. I believe it was Wenonah’s first entry into rotomolded poly hulls. And perhaps their last as it was not produced for long.

G/flex epoxy will adhere to polyethylene is you prep the hull properly.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy-adhesion-data/

I’m not sure what you mean by “smooth things up a bit”. If the hull has scrapes and scratches I’d just leave them alone unless they are especially deep. Trying to resurface an entire poly hull bottom would be a PITA, and the Northfork already weighs close to 90 lbs.

The Northfork needed some arch in the bottom; the long flat bottom tended to develop permanent concavities and oil canned when paddling. If that’s what you mean by “smooth things out” you could try adding some vertical stand-offs from the yoke and seats to the bottom.

i meant polyethylene. lol. im not too worried about the center but on the bow and stern. where you would beach it. cant think of the proper name. theres some scrapes there and would just like to reinforce it a bit in those 2 locations. i know wenonah makes skid plates but not sure if i can even put them on that hull.

I don't know if this is true but I read a John Winters design article that stated those scratches can more than double your coefficient of friction in the water i.e. your boat will be slower. There may be some merit in refreshing a boats surface below the waterline.

I don't know if this is true but I read a John Winters design article that stated those scratches can more than double your coefficient of friction in the water i.e. your boat will be slower. There may be some merit in refreshing a boats surface below the waterline.

makes sence to me. does anyone know if petex would work? if you dont know, its the stuff that they use to fill gouges on snow skis...

makes sence to me. does anyone know if petex would work? if you dont know, its the stuff that they use to fill gouges on snow skis...

For most recreational paddlers this loss of speed is not a big deal. The Northfork is a big wide boat good for fishing etc.

If you insist on lots of work for minimal gain in speed, an exacto knife and rasp is in your future. You have a rotomolded boat.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/co...care_and_repair/Polyethylene_Repair_Guide.pdf

I don't think P tex will do a thing. But go ahead, polarize the hull and drip away. If it sticks fine but evening it out may be harder than resurfacing skis.. getting a thin film I would think be a trick.

If it falls off, you know that didn't work.

For most recreational paddlers this loss of speed is not a big deal. The Northfork is a big wide boat good for fishing etc.

If you insist on lots of work for minimal gain in speed, an exacto knife and rasp is in your future. You have a rotomolded boat.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/co...care_and_repair/Polyethylene_Repair_Guide.pdf

I don't think P tex will do a thing. But go ahead, polarize the hull and drip away. If it sticks fine but evening it out may be harder than resurfacing skis.. getting a thin film I would think be a trick.

If it falls off, you know that didn't work.

i know they make smaller and faster canoes, im not out looking to dragrace or win any medals. i got it for hunting, fishing and camping as well as having a day out with the family.

"Our polyethylene Northfork is the most durable boat we make. It's made for people who demand ruggedness - fisherman and sportsmen, camps and outfitters, and people who paddle rocky waters and don't want to worry about damage."

I doubt you need to worry about the scratches either. Apparently these things are supposed to be tanks.

Skid Plates on Poly

Skid Plates on Poly

i meant polyethylene. lol. im not too worried about the center but on the bow and stern. where you would beach it. cant think of the proper name. theres some scrapes there and would just like to reinforce it a bit in those 2 locations. i know wenonah makes skid plates but not sure if i can even put them on that hull.

If you want to add skid plates to the stems I’d suggest using either G\flex resin and Dynel cloth, or using KeelEazy

The G\flex and Dynel method is more work, but if done properly you can size and shape a skid plate to fit the wear areas. You would need to alcohol wipe the area, mask and tape off the hull to catch any drips or dribbles, flame treat the area where the skid plate will be adhered (run the blue tongue of a torch across the area), coat it with G\flex, lay a cut to size and shape piece of Dynel in place atop the G\flex and topcoat it with more G\flex.

Adding graphite powder to the G\flex mix will make the skid plates somewhat “slippery” and very black. A well stocked outfitter might have G\flex and Dynel, or you can order those materials. Depending on the size of the skid plates and quantity of material the cost could range from $30 to $100.

KeelEazy, as the name implies, is easier to install and all you need is the appropriately sized Keeleazy strips and a heat gun.

http://www.keeleazy.com/

Back