• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poll: What type of vehicle is your usual canoe vehicle currently?

What is your current usual canoe vehicle?

• Car - 2 door coupe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Car - 4 door sedan

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Car - small hatchback

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Car - convertible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUV/station wagon

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Pickup truck with open bed

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Pickup truck with bed cap

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Minivan

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Full size van

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Other (what?)

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
Goal post off the trailer hitch with a couple ratchet straps to keep it from swaying (tied into the grocery bag hooks in the trunk), bungy cord across the goal post, ratchet strap through the doors in the middle, and front painter (split) ties into two tabs under the hood. Have done 8 hours at 70,+mph with no loss, damage, or evident danger.

IMAG3148.jpg

My old minivan is soon to be retired. Like everything else in our lives we are looking hard at downsizing. A small 4x4 SUV is likely in our near future. Easier on gas and easier to the access.

My old minivan is soon to be retired. Like everything else in our lives we are looking hard at downsizing. A small 4x4 SUV is likely in our near future. Easier on gas and easier to the access.
I find my Outback extremely useful and easy to load, good luck in your search.

I had an ‘05 Outback in “champagne gold opal.” Wasn’t my first choice, should have looked harder… but I sure enjoyed that car. 5-spd and turbo charged zoom zoom!

So do I. I just picked up a 2015 Forester. It's a lighter green than this one . Jasmine I think they call it.
When I was looking I wanted the darker green. It's nice just having a reliable vehicle no matter what the color.
I'll get a photo eventually.
The Subie’s are real reliable, I love mine. I like the olive drab color they have now coupled with the chocolate brown leather interior.

2008 Tacoma, 4 cyl., 5 spd., 4 WD, 194,000 miles. A.R.E. cap with Yakima rack, 78" bars. Shown here with Blue Hole Sunburst which is now for sale at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

20180610_171316.jpg

Depending on the boat(s) and how many we're taking. Have cross-bars on both the Odyssey and CR-V and J-bars for the kayaks. Have a 5'x10' utility trailer that I installed a ladder rack on and can bolt on wooden cross-bars as well and it can carry 4 kayaks/canoes plus totes of equipment on the trailer bed. Both the CR-V and Ody are setup with hitches, wiring, etc.

My name is Paul and I'm a car addict. At least it would seem that way to any onlooker. I have a purchased a vehicle (not always new) every year since 2016. Sticking with the canoe-carrying vehicles... I got rid of my 2011 Wrangler Sahara when I realized I'd only lose $2K on a 7 year-old vehicle. Replaced it with a 2012 F150 and walked away with a substantial cheque for the difference. I put a Thule Goal Post and cross bars on it. I never liked the Goal Post - I could never get it tight, always wobbled. That truck started to get electrical gremlins and I can't abide a vehicle that won't start when I turn the key. Sold it locally (with full disclosure) and replaced it with a 2020 F150 XLT (24-month lease - incredible deal). I transferred the Thule cross bars to it, but alas, never went on any trips that year. Fall 2021, with 12 months left on the lease, I did a sanity check on the payout vs market value and realized that once again I was sitting on some serious dosh. I took it and my 2019 BMW M240i xDrive to the Toyota dealer and traded them both in for a 2022 4Runner TRD Offroad (not Pro). So back to one (and very reliable if the stats hold true) vehicle. I'm waiting on a rack from Greenlane Offroad. Pics to come once the weather is no longer a threat to human life.

Two canoes on a Harbor Freight trailer works well also. Pulled that behind the Honda CRV and it's so light it doesn't slow the car at all.

Had 2004 Camry, great car but had to stop putting $ into it. Bought 2018 Forrester about 2 years ago for more ground clearance.
Here’s the Camry. Tripping to ADK St Regis with Rapidfire and Hornbeck, side trip to NH and picked up 1960’s Chestnut Chum before or ADK trip. Then went to WCHA for a few days. Little sketchy driving but made it. Pic before starting the trip. Now I’m trying to figure out the next stage of retirement in the next year or two. I want a small trailer but need different pulling vehicle. Then I’m thinking about the converted van campers but to high to get boat on top so possible trailer. I’m leaning towards the van camper/ trailer, Ford Transit. Best health to all.

Attachments

• FF133A05-BCEA-4AC1-80DC-3FE1579FA443.png
    FF133A05-BCEA-4AC1-80DC-3FE1579FA443.png
    442.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 4C10F4F1-F138-4064-84D2-3A56DB103974.png
    4C10F4F1-F138-4064-84D2-3A56DB103974.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D2F92C01-ABFA-4F2F-A908-ECE046C5ED1F.png
    D2F92C01-ABFA-4F2F-A908-ECE046C5ED1F.png
    684.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 9A47CD07-C304-4297-B80A-016788D799A3.png
    9A47CD07-C304-4297-B80A-016788D799A3.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 16
Had 2004 Camry, great car but had to stop putting $ into it. Bought 2018 Forrester about 2 years ago for more ground clearance.
Here’s the Camry. Tripping to ADK St Regis with Rapidfire and Hornbeck, side trip to NH and picked up 1960’s Chestnut Chum before or ADK trip. Then went to WCHA for a few days. Little sketchy driving but made it. Pic before starting the trip. Now I’m trying to figure out the next stage of retirement in the next year or two. I want a small trailer but need different pulling vehicle. Then I’m thinking about the converted van campers but to high to get boat on top so possible trailer. I’m leaning towards the van camper/ trailer, Ford Transit. Best health to all.
I have a '99 Suburban 4WD and a ’15 4Runner. I’m 5’7” and lifting my Pathfinder or Explorer (both rx) to the roof is a job even using the lift one end on the back and shoving it Still doing it but never easy. I have an aluminum 5x10 yard trailer and am adding a couple of bars to use it. The trailer makes life so easy and will carry camping equipment when ready. I will still use the trucks for some situations but where there is room I am going with the trailer. I have an fg independence that is much lighter but at 71 I am being more careful with lifting any of them overhead that I have used forever...

I have an Aluma trailer 4 x 8 that I have used a couple times for carrying canoes when there’s a. Inch of us paddling. The drawback is the short tongue, so my longer boats end up too far back and reduces the tongue weight so much that I worry about the trailer going unstable.

I also happened to buy a wrecked, all aluminum sled dog trailer, can’t remember the name brand. When I have a free week or two I’ll cut that trailer up and retrofit it with a longer tongue and racks for maybe six boats. I only paid $200 for the trailer, and it has at least that much scrap value in the excess aluminum.

And I’m not sure if I posted this already, but I sold my Honda Element that I had been driving for 14 years, and I picked up a wrecked 2015 crv for $6,000, real clean and low miles. Easy fix just had to weld in a piece of quarter panel, B pillar, replace a couple doors and a couple air bags.
Timing couldn’t have been better, I got 38 mpg on one of my ski day trips to VT!!

Back