• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Poling instruction books - heads up.

Reaction score
I have noticed lately that what few books on canoe poling are available on Amazon have been demanding insane collector prices. I can't believe that the poling craze has exploded to create such demand - it must be book-collector driven. I'm assuming that all these books are out of print.

Anyway - I took a peek today and noticed that there are a couple used copies of Harry Rock's Basic Essentials of Canoe Poling priced under $20. $20 seems a little high still (IIRC, I paid about $8 several years ago - and no...my copy ain't for sale!), but I will say it's worth it if you want to learn the modern poling technique and don't have people nearby to teach you.

$165 for a new copy of Garrett Conover's Beyond the Paddle! Crikey!

So - out of curiosity, I also looked on the ACA website to see if they have any of Harry's more recent works in stock (they didn't, last I looked). Surprise! Seven copies of his Canoe Poling book and ten copies of his video. At normal prices. The video is worth having, even if you have the book, IMO.

Links for both near the bottom...
http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Canoe_Poling

I have a copy of Harry's book for sale. To cover postage (US) I have to charge $15. The book is barely used.

I have used a pole to move my canoe as I crossed Green Swamp here in Florida. That method worked really well there. I was surprised to find that as I moved from shallower to deeper areas I was able to 'paddle' with the pole. It worked standing and also sitting as a double ended paddle. It was much more efficient than I expected. I tried this out of frustration at having to switch from pole to paddle to pole as the water depth changed. Also, a pole can move a canoe through dense vegetation, both on and above the waterline, that would quickly stop a boat propelled by paddle. Obviously this method is only good for near still water or for general maneuvering in a slow current downstream. Just wanted to throw this out there to let you guys know that a pole is very versatile and can be used in situations other than pushing upstream.

You're right about some of these out of print books selling for insane prices Steve.

I've had luck finding out-of-print canoe books at relatively reasonable prices using Better World Books. They tend to have decent quality library books taken out of circulation. Got my copy of Harry Rock's book and the Conover book there years ago at very reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I have used a pole to move my canoe as I crossed Green Swamp here in Florida. That method worked really well there. I was surprised to find that as I moved from shallower to deeper areas I was able to 'paddle' with the pole. It worked standing and also sitting as a double ended paddle. It was much more efficient than I expected. I tried this out of frustration at having to switch from pole to paddle to pole as the water depth changed. Also, a pole can move a canoe through dense vegetation, both on and above the waterline, that would quickly stop a boat propelled by paddle. Obviously this method is only good for near still water or for general maneuvering in a slow current downstream. Just wanted to throw this out there to let you guys know that a pole is very versatile and can be used in situations other than pushing upstream.

Brian, you discovered on your own what I had to learn through reading. Now my problem is that the pole is so versatile, that my progress in learning to paddle properly suffers. ;)

Back