• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poland Pond, North Maine Woods

Reaction score
I spent the last five days at a small lake in the "North Maine Woods" called Poland Pond with my little wall tent and wood stove. It's a really nice destination, a slow meandering stream leads from Poland Pond to some larger lakes downstream. I paddled upstream to Poland Pond.
Up until this past couple of weeks it’s been a very dry few months here in Maine and many of the lakes in the area are low, giving them a “reservoir” look. Actually, many of the lakes are damed and are reservoirs. Poland Pond, being smaller had probably recovered from the recent rain and looked very natural, a really pretty lake.
There is one campsite on an island on Poland Pond, it's a primitive campsite by North Maine Woods standards so it requires a fire permit.
The Chestnut Cruiser I recently finished restoring performed well, especially when going upstream where the current increased.
5BA7F530-7087-4234-BB5D-D8F824922CAA.jpeg

7FFF3F6C-44F9-480F-98B0-CE2D35B6C5E8.jpeg,

D0BDCA87-821D-4494-A0A3-9B8891431E48.jpeg

Nice report and pics Robin. I love the look of your new canoe. It looks like it handled your gear well - how did do with that load going up current. Doe this canoe offer more "glide" than say your Chum or Pal?

Bob.

Love the color of your canoe & the red shirt on the male model in front of your wall tent. Reminds me of the pictures of the Ely Echo outdoors editor/author Bob "Jackpine" Cary.
Any fish caught or grouse harvested?
Looks & sounds like a great trip.

Last edited:
Nice report and pics Robin. I love the look of your new canoe. It looks like it handled your gear well - how did do with that load going up current. Doe this canoe offer more "glide" than say your Chum or Pal?

Ditto, Robin, and I too have some comparative questions about your new canoe creation -- in particular, it's stability compared to a Chestnut Pal, Chum and Prospector.

Nice trip report and photos Robin. Looks like a great spot! I am jealous too, I didn't get out once this fall (my favorite season) because of work and medical problems. I am still holding out hope to fit in one last trip to the ADKs before it becomes true winter camping.

Last edited:
I thought the pic of the put-in you post on Fb looked a lot like Poland Pond, but I didn't think there was enough room on that rock for your tent. Have they found a place for a new thunderbox yet?

Photo #1 should be on every man's calendar. This trip should be in every man's dreams. (Canoe tripping women are most definitely included.)
Thanks Robin.

Thanks Jim, it's been fun checking out different areas of northern Maine, the last trip was the best. Now about that north Maine "wind", ugh!

Bob B., I was able to paddle up some strong current while maintaining complete control of the canoe, twice, fully loaded and empty. Not sure about the glide, and at first I noticed a big difference between my 15' Chum and the 16' Cruiser, but once I spent some time in the Cruiser I felt it could be my new favorite canoe, I'm very happy with it. I did notice when the wind kicked up the high bow needed to be kept under control, but I love the look of that bow so much I yelled "that's all you got" to the wind every time! You will like this canoe.

Thanks BB, the clothes make the man. I thought that shirt might get me some looks in the logging town of Millinocket but no dice. Fishing is done and the virus kept me from getting a Maine drivers licence till recently, then they told me it will be a couple of weeks in the mail, no hunting license. I saw lots of guys cruising the roads for grouse, not my style.

Glenn, Very stable, I brought a 3/8's wrench with some longer spacers in the event I found the seat too high but the canoe is very steady, I leaned it a lot and felt comfortable. I'm curious how it would go with 2 paddlers, probably move right along.

Thanks TB, appreciate that.

Sweeper, You know the area, no, the thunder box left a lot to be desired. But the island was nice, a little tough for my weak legs getting all the gear up top but worth it.

Oddy, Thanks my friend.

RickR Thank You, very much appreciated. I sometimes overdue it with my opinions on old vs new but it's all good. Thanks

Nice trip Robin. I am totally jealous, I didnt get out for an overnight even this year unless you count truck camping. Before I knew it winter was here and living outside was too hard for old ladies.

I like the cruiser....how does it compare to your Pal? I have a low end Pete Champlain here waiting love that looks like it could be a good paddler. Very similar to a Pal.

Thanks Otto. Some more pics,

Big old cow moose,
010.JPG
Whenever it stopped raining I split some wood and stacked it near the wood stove. One of my favorite items, an old Snow and Nealley Hudson Bay axe.
043.JPG
A good book to read by the wood stove on a rainy day.
050.JPG

Love the Tamarack this time of year
024.JPG
Good eats
089.JPG

110.JPG

Attachments

• 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    721.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    594.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 089.JPG
    089.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 13
  • 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 16
Nice trip Robin.

I like the cruiser....how does it compare to your Pal?.

I like the narrowness of the Cruiser compared to the Pal, and the high ends too.

Thanks Al, wish I could still lift a heavy canoe like you can.

Now I am really intrigued. Did you put in at Round Pond and paddle up to Poland Pond or is there a put in off Ledge Rd? Perusing Google Maps!

Now I am really intrigued. Did you put in at Round Pond and paddle up to Poland Pond or is there a put in off Ledge Rd? Perusing Google Maps!

Heading northbound on Ledge Rd, just before the bridge over the stream coming out of Poland Pond/ into Round Pond, there is a driveway on the left that is maybe 150-200 yards to a put in just above the quick water of the stream. I think you can line up the quick water from Round Pond, Sweeper knows this as he has been into Poland Pond from Round Pond. Just before Poland Pond proper, at an obvious narrows, there is quick water that I was able to paddle up, hopefully, it will be passable at high water next week.
put in for Poland Pond
1650986906079.png

Last edited:
According to Ray at Loon Lodge the dam is now broken and the trip up to the pond is now a bit of a struggle.

Thanks for sharing Robin, looks like a wonderful place to get lost for a few days. Love to food cooking on your stove. Yummy!
I imagine the night time stars are wonderful. That’s something I really appreciate when I get the chance.

Nice to see that you are enjoying the northern part of Maine. Did you have to travel very far? That canoe is a beauty. Love to have one of them, but at my age, my body is begging for carbon. Take care.

G.

Back