• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Please help me make my first canoe decision!!!

No Title

some pics

Attachments

• photo621.jpg
    photo621.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo622.jpg
    photo622.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo623.jpg
    photo623.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 0
Excellent, always wanted a Tripper but never found one available in my price range when money was tight. Looks good up on the ride, good luck and take some pics of you and the family out there paddling and share.

Congratulations, jp1985. There is a reason the 17 foot Tripper has been in the Old Town catalog since the 1970's. It is a solid and good performing tandem canoe for everything from day trips with the kids and dogs to month long wilderness trips in the arctic.

Just as a car-topping suggestion, I'd slide all four of those blocks forward on the roof so that the "Old Town" logo is right in the center of them, so as to even out the end overhangs. It's not good to have more canoe overhang in the front than the back. That will make the canoe the most susceptible to wind yaw. Most people like to have equal overhang in front and back. I like a little less overhang in front and more in back, again to lessen wind yaw.

With the foam blocks, you can even wrap long cam buckle straps over the canoe and right through your open front and back doors. Tighten the straps and then close the doors on them. That will prevent the canoe from ever flying off.

(Oldie Moldy, people under 40 don't read books, and people under 18 don't know what they are. Shhhh, don't tell anyone I said that.)

Thanks for the advice/suggestions on moving it around on the top better i will def try them. I had bought a nice set of ratchets for taking it home with. They were supposed to be idiot proof but i ended up causing them to all jam, so the guy i bought it from gave me the rope to use.
Is trhe best way to use those straps like you suggested? that seems pretty easy for the sides :).

Well Jordan, That sure looks like you got a nice canoe! I always thought that green looked very good on a canoe. The condition may be just a tad, I mean just a little bit, ever so slightly....... rough. There seems to be some small problem with the gunnels and maybe those thwarts could use a little attention.
But if that's you in the blue parka at least you've got one good seat! ;)

I do know and must confess that in days of yore, (very yore) I was prone to grasping the bull by the horns and jump right in there and let experience be my guide. The trouble all too often was experience proved a rough guide and I wound up with things scraped up, bent and broken, on me and whatever I was trying to do.

But in the process I've discovered I can learn right smartly if enough pain is offered as a stimulus.
I suspect that's what's behind the nearly irresistible urge most of us old ones have to give advice to the younger set, not so much that we want to help but rather to avoid that remembered pain, even if it's somebody else suffering. Maybe, that's the attraction for me about books, you have to know that the author of some how-to-do-it book, isn't going to tell all twenty-seven ways he screwed up. Nope! He'll hide all of his mistakes and only let us see, what in the end, worked.
Now it may be an age thing, as Glenn so humorously says above, but more and more I find myself attracted to that twenty-eighth way, and am very willing to skip over all those more painful steps.

But whatever path you chose, keep us in the loop!

Congratulations on your new (yellow) canoe!!

Best wishes, Rob

Yeah i thought it would be funny to put that in there. A person locally was actually trying to sell it for 100$!!!! I took a pic of his ad so i could laugh at it when ever i need a laugh.

Took the tripper out today solo. None of the family wanted to go today and i wanted to try it out soo bad.
It wasn't that hard to solo, and it handled remarkably well. I sat in the middle of it.
I tried fishing from it solo but that wasn't very fun since i don't have an anchor attach meant and i tried it off the end, but it still did not work so well. I think fishing would be better with a second person to help steer.
I was able to car load and unload it myself it was a pain but do able.
Will post some pics later.

Where is the applause meter? Its a decent hull but when you get old you may wish with every advancing year that it came in Kevlar..! Did you end load it onto your car.. That takes a lot of the weight off you.

WhooRayyy....Jordan! Congratulations of getting your canoe wet for the first of very many times!! You might want to go over to U-Tube and look for how to do the "J" stroke.
For a quick and simple anchor get one of those mesh bags like onions or potatoes come in and place some rocks in it and tie it off with some light line. When your done fishing dump out the rocks and save the bag.

Most of us when we're paddling a canoe like yours, paddle from the forward seat but facing aft. What that means is that about one third of the canoe is behind you and about two thirds in front. You've got a choice between kneeling with your fanny resting on the edge of the seat or sitting on the seat itself. Many find that kneeling is a whole lot more stable, with your weight lower and the knees spread apart.
Even with the weight of my dog I find that the bow is too high to paddle well, so I have a five gallon water container that I place in the bow. Fill it and dump it out right there at the lake.

I don't think I've told you anything too wrong, but if Yellow Canoe tells you anything I'd really listen and take it to heart.

Best Wishes, Rob

I need to shut up OM. The site is not all about me.. There is a lot to be said about Messing Around in Boats. You learn a bit from self exploration. People tend to seek advice when things don't go as planned..

of course I forgot to remember if the Tripper you got had molded seats. It hurts to plant your arse backwards in them. Paddling a canoe backward from a bow seat has the same mechanics as pushing a shopping cart from the front..the fixed wheels farthest away.The swively wheels closest. It works as an estimate of canoe placement.

Try that on senior day at the supermarket. It's kinda fun! You will fer sure break up any gabfest in Aisle 3.

A possible word of caution – I have replace the gunwales on a couple of similar vintage Old Town’s that had those white plastic gunwales.

I don’t know if it was the age or how much UV they had taken or something with the white plastic itself, but those gunwales were brittle and had shattered under a hard impact.

Maybe have a care with just how tight you crank the ratchet straps and try not to drop it hard on the racks.

I’m not trying to scare or disappoint you in your purchase, just noting something I have observed.

No Title

I forgot to thank you all for the advice/and input in my post above.

I had just gotten home and was rushing around trying to catch up on some house hold things.

So again thank you all.

Yellow I wish i had the money to afford one with Kevlar believe me i would've bought that over Rolodex if i could have.
But i think i got a steal for 350. A lot of the canoes around here that are up for sale are Coleman ram x in used condition for 350!

Car topping and unloading it that was a pain, and i am sure i will feel it in the morning.

The gunwales seem to be in good condition so far i checked for that when i looked it over to be doubly safe.

I have heard of the onion bag anchor they seem cheap and easy to use. I got a steal of a deal on a mushroom anchor(5 dollars :) hooray Craigslist) the guy was no longer needing so i used that today, but it wasn't enjoyable i think it would be better if i got an anchor attachment for it.
I also filled a 5 gallon bucket of water and put it up for weight and put it upfront and encase i caught something :).

Yeah the older tripper has the molded seats, but i have these really cool lightweight seats that adjust \per each person. I really enjoyed using them even when i sat in the middle.

Jordan

*edit* I just noticed in one of the pictures it looks like a major crack in the side of the canoe. Just wanted to mention its not a crack its some stupid pond frond i caught.

Attachments

• photo626.JPG
    photo626.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo627.JPG
    photo627.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo628.JPG
    photo628.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo629.JPG
    photo629.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo630.JPG
    photo630.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 0
I told him i would take the tripper at 375. Just waiting to hear back from him. And yes if anything goes wrong i am blaming you Memaquay;)!!

I blame Memaquay for everything that goes wrong, and he's like 800 miles away. Bugs, weather, diarrhea, you name it, it's his fault. He's got big shoulders, he can take it. Dave

Congratulations on your acquisition. You'll get better at car topping it with time - we all do. Books and videos can help a lot to show you the right way to do things... and then you go out and try and convince your brain and body to do just that. Then you return home and review the books and videos... ;)

Professional instruction is undoubtedly the quickest and best way to learn the strokes properly - I could sure use some myself - but the books, videos and lots of water time will get you going pretty darned good if you take it seriously.

I remember when i was learnin' the J stroke - this was long before videos were part of our vocabulary. Studied the books and went out paddlin. I was tracking my boat fairly well but it was the ugliest and noisiest J stroke you ever saw and I was workin' too hard maintaining it. Went this way seemingly forever. Finally one early morning on a small quiet pond I was just having a nice relaxed paddle about and watching the wildlife wake up. Suddenly I realized I was J strokin' my boat smoothly and quietly. Couldn't believe it but I had arrived, Ichabod was paddlin' his canoe in a graceful and peaceful manner. That was about 35 years ago.

Their are basic stroke mechanics that have to be adhered to but everyone's structural physiology is rather singular and behaves differently from one another. Learn the rules of the stroke and then let your body implement them to suit.

I am but an intermediate skilled paddler with no qualifications to give advice thus the grain of salt must be considered. My comments are relevant to my self education in the pursuit of pleasure canoeing.

Enjoy your boat!

Nice canoe! I have two and I love them. You will get better at car topping. The sea foam interior is classic. Got to love it. Your boat looks to be in remarkable condition. Probably would have sold for around $600 up this way.

I really liked what Holmes375 said in #55 above. That business about how you start out trying to do each step of a stroke, thinking about it and one day it all seems to fall into place and somehow your body digested all of it and produces a smooth stroke. Well said.

Yellow Canoe, I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, I didn't mean to, it's just that when you describe some paddling technique, I'm able to understand what you're saying and grasp it. That kind of teaching using only words, is pretty hard to do and if you ever stopped I'd feel really bad.

Best Wishes, Rob

I really liked what Holmes375 said in #55 above. That business about how you start out trying to do each step of a stroke, thinking about it and one day it all seems to fall into place and somehow your body digested all of it and produces a smooth stroke. Well said.

Best Wishes, Rob

The thinking is the hard part. Not that people are incapable or dumb at all. But when you are learning something new your mind has to get involved.. And you have to give it time to work through the steps. Later you can do a stroke without thinking about it at all. Its often termed "muscle memory

Instruction is a good investment but if the only resource you have is a book.. learn from that as best you can and study with a friend. Then go out on the water , have the friend on shore with the book and in a position to give you feed back on if you are doing as the book shows. Often what you think you're doing is not quite what you are actually doing.

It's a lot of fun when a struggling student has a "Hail Mary Lighbulb ON" moment. Often it comes at the start of the day. At the end of the day the bulb has a tendency to turn off as the students fall in the water.:D

Back