• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Playing with Kydex Again

Reaction score
Since I had reasonable success with Kydex on one of the last rebuilds I really wanted a new deck plate for the Bell Rob Roy, my go to boat. I used the first wooden deck I built as a plug but was lazy and didn't add 3/4" pieces on the sides going vertical to help form the Kydex. I figure when I go to place it on the Bell I can heat it a bit to make it work. As usual there is not a plan just a roaming thought fueled by a can of liquid courage! Now here is an observation about this material and I am trying to keep the Carbon Fiber look clean is that when the heat hits it it takes on a shine on those heated parts, which my camera can't capture, so once installed I'll spend a few minutes heating the entire thing to keep that look consistent. The more I work with this stuff the more I like it. Once I get it on the Bell I'll post some more pics.
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0731.JPG Views:	0 Size:	201.2 KB ID:	124629 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0735.JPG Views:	0 Size:	205.9 KB ID:	124630 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0737.JPG Views:	0 Size:	276.2 KB ID:	124631 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0737.JPG Views:	0 Size:	276.2 KB ID:	124631

Looks like an interesting material. I need to figure out an application for it.

I'd be tempted to put the whole assembly in the oven and see how the kydex "flows" when the entire piece is brought up to temperature.

Last edited:
Back