• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Playing around with Alcohol Stoves

How do you like the Vargo stove? I saw several videos on those and was intrigued.

So what is the standard? Boil time of 2cups of water? Ounces of fuel per ? Some homemade ones I saw seemed far more superior to manufactured ones.

Methyl hydrate = Methanol. In Canada it is sold in the paint thinner section of the hardware store. The methyl hydrate sold by Canadian Tire is 99.9% pure methanol (as it is in all the hardware stores I have seen it). Pure methanol has less energy per unit volume than pure ethanol, but methanol is cheaper and widely available here.

Here is the link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/me...l#.VUihXPAgnHM

I have never seen denatured ethanol for sale around here, but don’t really care.

For solo canoe tripping down in the trees south of the cold and windy Barrenlands, I have converted from using a white gas stove to now using an alcohol stove. (I mostly use open fires, sometimes stick stoves, but on the rainy days I use an alky stove now). I use the Trangia burner with the Ti Clikstand, and a Primus foil wind screen. I like the wide support platform of the Clikstand, especially for my frypan. The large adjustable windscreen can work with a frypan, or wrapped tight around a small pot. The simmer ring on the Trangia simmers nicely.

As others have mentioned, alcohol stoves (a "stove" is a burner, plus pot stand, plus wind screen), require a learning curve. Three things are critical, and you can learn all about efficiency and design from one of the best alcohol stove testers on Youtube: Mr. Hiram Cook. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrHiramCook/videos
I love his videos. He’s totally dedicated to sharing objective pros and cons of alcohol stove design and boil time efficiency. He has shown that designs can differ radically for boil times and fuel consumption.

The 3 critical things are:
  • Wind screen: you must use a good windscreen because self-pressurized alcohol stoves do not have the power resist wind moving most of the heat away from the pot/pan.
  • Space above flame: Hiram through his research has determined that about 1 inch (2.5 cm) is about the optimum for how alcohol burns. Too close or too far causes efficiency to drop radically. Boil times can double or triple based on this distance. Just a quarter inch difference can decrease boil times radically. Burner design (e.g. jets, wick, open, etc), and flame diameter are all variables).
  • The pot support design can also decrease efficiency radically through heat sinking. Time to boil can double with a poorly designed pot support. Hiram has tested commercially produced pot supports that cause longer time-to-boil through heat sinking. Therefore just because a product is sold in an outdoor gear store in a nice package does not mean its actually been designed well. Its not just about contact points on the pot, its about how the burner is enclosed and how air and heat move around the burner. Some pot stands actually sink considerable heat energy into the stand and radiate it away from the pot, wasting time and fuel.

There are many other variables of course to water boil times, e.g. starting water temperature, pot/pan material and bottom surface area that affects flame spread, and ambient temperature.

Many burners do not have simmer control. If all you do is boil water, maybe you don’t need simmer. But I not only boil, but I simmer my home made dehydrated food in a pot, I fry foods which need low temperatures (like fish, eggs, pancakes), and if a stove cannot simmer, its no good for me. I like the Trangia burner for the simmer ring. I modified the simmer ring handle to add a wire grab loop for a stick, so I can grab it off the burner with a stick easier to make adjustments. With the smallest of crescent openings, the simmer is perfect once the pot/pan is brought to temperature. I have video footage on this, and will edit and post it when I get my 2014 summer trip videos all edited and out of the way.

Mr Hoop, I have some questions.

What do you think of the Chimney Jet design? Did you sell your stainless Clikstand? I looked at the Trangia Triangle as opposed to the Clikstand and opted for the Clikstand because of the little tabs to hold the windscreen, thus allowing air to flow under the screen and feed the stove. Does your Foil widescreen work the same way, that is does it sit on the clikstand tabs? I do know that you can make simmer ring for homemade stoves depending on the design but do confess none of them looked as slick and well designed as the Trangia.

Let me add too that I think the entire Trangia set-up with the stand pots and everything else looks like an incredible slick set up. Completely nesting and a complete unit. I am super happy with my Optimus Nova plus but it doesn't pack well. I always fear crushing it and bending a piece that sticks out.

Last edited:
Heyyy ahh Hoop, I have access to a 45 gallon drum of denatured alchohol if you wanted to try some out. We will be driving through Thunder Bay this summer and could likely drop some off for you. I could score you 5 gallons.

Christy

That Turm Sport stove look interesting.... I wonder where one could find one!!

Picked both of them out of the dump 10+ years ago and have yet to fire either of them.

Ebay?

Mr Hoop, I have some questions.

What do you think of the Chimney Jet design? Did you sell your stainless Clikstand? I looked at the Trangia Triangle as opposed to the Clikstand and opted for the Clikstand because of the little tabs to hold the windscreen, thus allowing air to flow under the screen and feed the stove. Does your Foil widescreen work the same way, that is does it sit on the clikstand tabs? I do know that you can make simmer ring for homemade stoves depending on the design but do confess none of them looked as slick and well designed as the Trangia.

Let me add too that I think the entire Trangia set-up with the stand pots and everything else looks like an incredible slick set up. Completely nesting and a complete unit. I am super happy with my Optimus Nova plus but it doesn't pack well. I always fear crushing it and bending a piece that sticks out.

Hi RL. I watched the video on the chimney jet design, which is the first time I had seen that, so I cannot comment knowledgably about it. It did not look like it can simmer with any sort of adapter? I hope the maker of those sends one to Hiram Cook to test! The video showed 400 ml boiling in 3.5 minutes. Hiram's standard test is 2 US cups, which is 473 ml. Hiram also uses a start temp of 60F, and records his ambient temp as well. The chimney jet video did not state what the starting water temp was? Adding 73 ml might take it closer to 4 minutes. Hiram has achieved boils with various stove combos close to 4 minutes. Many good stoves are closer to 5-6 minutes in his standard tests. A Trangia burner in the right stove set up can achieve boils in about 4 minutes, and my rough non-standardized home tests on my Trangia and Clickstand and Ti pots, without knowing starting water temp (cold water out of the tap), achieve about 6 minutes boil with 2 cups or 500 ml. I am not concerned about the 2 extra minutes from the best time possible. I think a minute or two difference is also based on pot bottom size and shape, and metal material. The pots I use now are Ti, and they are probably not as fast boiling as the anodized aluminum kettle used on the chimney jet video.

Another issue is durability and packability. That chimney jet looks kinda fragile? It is made of an aluminum drink can. If it got banged or stepped on, or crushed against other stuff in a pack that is dropped on a portage, would it still work? The Trangia is a good hunk of brass that can take abuse.

I have not sold my SS Clikstand yet. I sort of forgot. I need to post up that sale. On my Ti Clickstand I still use its Ti windscreen for my small "tall" pots, and its very convenient and super light (21 g on my scale). However I find myself using the ground based (sits on the ground) Primus foil windscreen (61 g) more now since I carry it anyways for using my frypan on the Clickstand because of the extra girth needed, so no need for me to carry two windscreens anymore. You leave one side open and there is plenty of air that can come in through the gap. On a backpacking trip where I do not have a frypan, I would stick with the original Ti windscreen for sure.

I have not used the full Trangia pot system with windscreen. It is of course used and loved all over the world. However my pot set must be able to be used on open fire, and my pots must have bail handles (for hauling water up steep banks, and hanging pots off sticks over a fire, etc), and deep dish lids with handles that also serve as dishes to eat out of, or fry with. My fry pan must have a fold out permanent handle for using on a fire grate or on logs/coals with gloved hands and sticks. Pot grippers and pots and pans without permanent handles are not for me. Therefore my style of tripping is not conducive to using the full Trangia pot and windscreen design, and I found the Clickstand plus windscreen serves the pot/pan support function nicely with a low weight and packs super compact. However if I did not use fire and used only a stove, I would for sure purchase the full Trangia kit in the solo hard anodized series (27 HA series), see link: http://www.trangia.se/english/5615.27_series_ul_ha.html

There is a gas burner accessory for using the Trangia wind screen system with either white gas or isobutane, so its very versatile. Maybe a tad heavy for backpacking, but fine for canoe tripping.

I think you made a good choice with the Clikstand. The area inside is wide enough to extend the simmer ring in a full range. I also bought the wire insert adapter for the Evernew Ti burner (or you could make one easy), and I know the Trangia simmer ring can work on the Evernew, which makes for a lighter option. I have not used the Trangia triangle so don't know what kind of range it has, but its not in Ti, and I have concluded that I am old enough now to deserve Ti gear! (Time for me to buy a Ti woodstove for winter hot tenting!). Having looked at The Esbit triangle on videos, it looks rather small to allow full range of movement for the simmer ring, although I have not used it. That simmer capability for me is essential for my cooking.

No Title

Here is my fancee feest variant made from a Venom bottle and Al Bud bottle. You can see the creosote sorta oozes all over it from my pots. It's a pretty high column stove, I can cook something in one pot, take that off and boil water for drinks on one fill up, problem is sometimes the stove sticks to my pot b/c of the creosote.

Attachments

• photo2117.jpg
    photo2117.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
red langford Denatured Alcohol exists only for tax/regulatory purposes. Drinkable ethanol (Corn Liquor & similar, but also includes beer and wine) is often taxed differently from alcohols intended as solvents or fuels. (You probably knew this.) To prevent people from "re-purposing" the industrial stuff, various toxins are added. Exact formulations vary, but the general idea is to make distillation back to a drinkable form more expensive than simply paying the excise tax in the first place.

Since methanol is a common denaturant, you will sometimes see denatured alcohol under the name "Methylated Spirits" For burning purposes, its properties can be considered exactly the same as "White Lighting" or whatever the local equivalent is. :)

HOOP : Interesting post, there is another guy who made a similar Chimney Jet boil 2 cups in 2.5 minutes. Blew my mind. Yes, looks fragile. I never thought about the other considerations for the pots and whatnot. I am not a fire cooking guy really so never considered it. I was going to ask you about your Clikstand before I bought this one but forgot to be honest. Another interesting option I looked at was the Pathfinder cook set. They use a stainless nalgene type bottle and have used a fish jaw spreader as a bail handle for cooking over the fire. Ingenious idea. You see the product here http://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/trail-pro-cook-set/ There are lots of neat video reviews on these as well.

redoleary : That's a whole lot of creosote, what is causing that? Insufficient burn on the Alcohol? Using a lesser alcohol like a 70% Isopropyl?

The creosote is from burning pine on my twig stove or campfires, not from the alcohol stove, the stove just melts it I guess?

Wish that I had found little spirit stoves before I got into tents, boats and other pricey gear... looking forward to playing around this summer with the two that I have and thinking about more...and more days in the woods and lakes to USE them!

Last edited:
Wish I'd remembered to bring ANY stove along on my last outing. Fortunately wood still burns and I still remember how to light it.

Ouch, that's a big "d'oh" moment. I left the entire kitchen bag on the very first portage once. It was going to be a weekend trip so by the time we went back to get it the trip was over.

I switched over to alcohol 5 years ago for almost all solo and tandem trips and haven't looked back! Reasonably efficient, controllable with the right burner, and quiet, quiet, quiet!

I have tried homemade ones out of Hineiken cans, soda cans, cat food cans, etc, and always come back to my Trengia burner. Either in a homemade rig for solo, or a Trangia cook kit for more than me.

Light weight solo I dehydrate my own meals and it boils water fast enough, and with a friend or no portages I like to "cook" and the simmer ring lets me do that.

I have a "stove thing" and own over two dozen, but I always end up with my Trangia!

I would like to try an alcohol stove at some point, but Christine got a deal (free) on 32 gallons of Coleman fuel so she has a lifetime supply for our stoves.

Back