• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Plains States Tripping?

G

Anyone paddled the plains states, like Nebraska?

Good question. I have not, other than some break-up-a-drive day paddles on small lakes and impoundments along the way, needing a short respite to avoid traffic, or in the upcoming Rockies passes, weather and putting on tire chains.

Some recommendation of western plains States (Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma) tripping, or at least overnight canoe camping possibilities, would be an excellent way to layover when cross country traveling west of the Mississippi, and even do a quickie shake-down run with gear and partners.

Well whadda ya know, Nebraska may have more to offer than I thought. I had heard of trips on the Niobrara, but the other Nebraska State Water Trails might merit further investigation if they offer paddle in and camp midway possibilities.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/watertrails/

I am glad to see Nebraska doing the State River Trail thing. That effort at paddler attraction can be a little economic engine, for attracting both for in and out of State paddlers.

The major paddling destinations, States like Maine, NY, Florida, Michigan and etc don’t need to put out much additional effort. Information and guidebooks are plentiful, and paddlers are already travelling to get to those well known delights.

But the drive-through States (or, though I’d prefer to drive, “fly-over” States) are well served to be paddler friendly. North Carolina does it as well as any State on the east coast, with paddle-in parks and abundant no-permit-required “Wildlife Boating Access” points along most paddle-able rivers.

Kansas? I dunno, it’s Kansas. (Deliberately taunting some Jayhawker to provide a good multi-day trip in Kansas) Maybe the Kaw, or the Arkansas?

Kansas? If I keep driving west I’ll be in Colorado. Well crap, eastern Colorado still looks a lot like Kansas.

Oklahoma? Meh, I might as well be in Kansas sans oil derricks, and if I keep going I can be in New Mexico or Texas this evening. (Okie taunting; please go all Missouri and Show Me where)

A western plains trip could be different fun heading out, or heading home with extra time, but as a passing through outa-towner a shuttle service would be necessary on river trips, and with cross-country gear in the truck non-sketchy parking would be comforting.

There must be some decent couple-day trips on the western plains that fit that passer-by bill.

Remember only the water belongs to the State of Nebraska. The riverbeds and all adjacent lands are the property of the landowner through which the water flows. Appreciate the privilege of using the waterway. Respect and be mindful of landowners and their property. Nebraska state statutes give users permission to portage around fences and other obstructions; however, you are responsible for any damage to the property. You must have landowner permission to picnic or camp.

I think many of the plains states are this way making it a pain to even do an overnight.

Remember only the water belongs to the State of Nebraska. The riverbeds and all adjacent lands are the property of the landowner through which the water flows. Appreciate the privilege of using the waterway. Respect and be mindful of landowners and their property. Nebraska state statutes give users permission to portage around fences and other obstructions; however, you are responsible for any damage to the property. You must have landowner permission to picnic or camp.

I think many of the plains states are this way making it a pain to even do an overnight.

I noted that cautionary paragraph in the link to Nebraska Water Trails. The Public Trust Doctrine in the plains States is based on interpretations dating from when they entered the union, which doesn’t help, nor does a dearth of public lands along riparian areas.

76 miles of the Niobrara is designated as a National Scenic River and is managed by the National Park Service, although I do not know if camping is permitted other than at Smith Falls State Park. Paddle-in or overnight camping is not permitted even in the 5 miles stretch through the Fort Niobrara Wilderness Area.

I also note that there are outfitters with canoe and tube rentals, shuttle services and private campsite, so the Niobrara may be a zoo in season.

My last sailboat, a true blue-water capable cruiser despite being only 31 feet long, came from Iowa. I was the third owner. I'm not sure what lake in Iowa, but I learned from the guy I bought it from that a doctor was the original owner and he sold it to buy a bigger one! I can't imagine anywhere in Iowa where a blue-water cruising sailboat could be used as its designer intended...but it may well be that the flatness and lack of trees lead to significant and sustained winds. My concern with tripping on any lake out west is the wind. Heading out just to paddle around for the day would be okay, but any multi-day trip including a lake has the potential for becoming seriously wind bound.

My last sailboat, a true blue-water capable cruiser despite being only 31 feet long, came from Iowa. I was the third owner. I'm not sure what lake in Iowa, but I learned from the guy I bought it from that a doctor was the original owner and he sold it to buy a bigger one! I can't imagine anywhere in Iowa where a blue-water cruising sailboat could be used as its designer intended...but it may well be that the flatness and lack of trees lead to significant and sustained winds. My concern with tripping on any lake out west is the wind. Heading out just to paddle around for the day would be okay, but any multi-day trip including a lake has the potential for becoming seriously wind bound.

Good chance it came from Lake Okoboji, about 15 miles west of me. Not a very big lake in the grand scheme of things but a very pretty lake. Lots of wealthy vacation homes on the lake and a strong sailing community. I believe they have a weekly regatta in the summers. I don't know sailing but know some people who do and there are a couple big names in the sailing community over there. Despite being a beautiful lake it's overrun by large cabin cruiser and speed boats. Seems silly to need a boat that goes 70mph on a lake that's 5 miles long. Mostly people seem to like showing off.

There are a some reservoirs down by Des Moines (Saylorville, Rathbun and Coralville) that likely host sail boats as well.

Alan

...but it may well be that the flatness and lack of trees lead to significant and sustained winds. My concern with tripping on any lake out west is the wind. Heading out just to paddle around for the day would be okay, but any multi-day trip including a lake has the potential for becoming seriously wind bound.

That is a good point. Having driven across the plains with the steering wheel cockled 20 degrees to one side for hours to maintain a lane was often a day long suckfest; I really don’t need to be doing that with a paddle.

A plains lake with paddle-in campsites would seem ideal for a brief no-shuttle stopover (of which there may be none), except for when have to I force open the truck door against the wind, creating a swirling vortex of maps and papers in the cab.

And blown away outside the cab; don’t leave loose cash in the console, you’ll never catch it as it swirls around the rest stop facilities, but the failed recovery efforts will be comical to watch.

I’m not totally sure which states you’re looking at, but... I think you could do what you wanted in South Dakota, on the Missouri, and while it’s not exactly next to Illinois, the White Cliffs section of the Missouri River in Montana is surrounded by hills or flats, not mountains. Land Between the Lakes is probably considered “The South,” but it’s only a hop, skip and a jump from the southern end of Illinois.. Michigan has some nice places, though probably crowded, in the lower peninsula, and the upper peninsula has more. Probably not what you were thinking about, but...

Back