• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Pfd

I just saw an ad for the Onyx MoveVent PFD. Looks interesting! I would guess it's designed for kayaking, but appears slim enough for canoeing. Front of one model looks smooth, with a zipper in the front.
Ron

The best PFD I've ever had is a Seda. It's the old kind with vertical channels that hold blocks of flotation material. It has a heavy-duty zipper and a belt, along with two chest pockets. It's very comfy and ventilates better than smooth-surfaced models like Extrasport. When my red one wears out I'll shift to the yellow one. I have a third one, a large-size yellow one that fits nicely over a jacket.

Of course, they aren't made any more.
And no, they aren't for sale.

I'd be wary of so much mesh as in the Onyx. Rip that mesh and your buckle attachment is useless in helping you keep the PFD down to help keep your head up.

PFDs need to be tried on. One does not fit all. Think about the rigors and requirements of your ecosystem and plan accordingly. Don't start with price. A PFD is an investment.

I totally agree; I'm not going to buy any PFD without trying it on. And I'm not going to order one without the ability to return it if it does not fit. I did want to point out that the Onyx MoveVent looked more interesting than most of the others that are locally available in fishing/hunting stores.
The REI stores around me are, just recently, swapping floor set-ups from skiing to water sports. I hope to soon see what PFDs are offered.

Back