• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

​PFD For Dogs?

Reaction score
I am curious if anybody here trips with their canine. I have had it in my mind to try one of my dogs in the canoe. The male is generally game for whatever I am doing and loves the water.

Yesterday I was taking a recreational paddle on a local river and my wife decided to surprise me with the dogs on the dyke trail that runs along one side of the river. Needless to say my dogs went nuts when they figured out I was in the canoe. I know the male would have jumped into the water and swam out to me had the wife let go of the leash. I paddled to within talking distance and we hatched a plan to meet about a half-mile up stream so I could stretch my legs and play with the dogs for a bit.

After we spent some time together on land, it was time for me to resume my paddle. I was surprised when the male just jumped right into the canoe with me with his tail wagging as hard as he could manage it. The slippery floor of the canoe seemed to bother him though, and he was a bit concerned when I pushed off a few feet for a test float. He stayed put until I landed again and gave him back to the wife.

So, knowing he is a willing participant paddling with "Dad", I am going to follow through with my plan of getting him a PFD and training him to ride in the canoe with me. I did not want to take him on that particular river without a PFD because of wacky currents and strong wind. Had he gone over the side I may not have been able to easily get back to him quickly enough.

So, the big question ...

Are there any preferred or recommended brands / styles of PFD for canines, and what tips if any can you guys give regarding training the pooch to come tripping with me.

He is small, under 20lbs, but is always eager to do whatever with me. He hikes, runs along with the bicycle, rides in the bike trailer, camps etc. He is super smart and as I've said, up for whatever I'm doing.

May-24-2015-2_zpsjlroxby6.jpg

That's great. Paddling with your dog is the best. I can't remember the last time I canoed without Sadie. Adds another dimension to paddling when you can watch the dog react to things in the bow. They'll see and smell things that you would otherwise miss.

The slippery floor is a big one. Foam pads on the floor will do the trick. Those lock together foam pads that are meant to cover your work area or kids' play area are nice.

If your dog is happy about going in the canoe with you that's probably the biggest hurdle. Small size is a benefit since it doesn't matter so much if the dog is standing, sitting, or putting its feet on the gunwales. Maybe you want to build some sort of platform the dog could sit/lay on. Dogs like to be able to see over the edge. If they can't see when they sit down they're likely to stay standing.

Canoe obedience training depends on the owner and dog. Sadie's place is in front of the thwart and that's where I expect her to stay. I also have a pretty strict "no petting" policy in the canoe. I don't want her thinking she can sneak back and bug me for attention. Nor do I want her to run between my legs if we're ever in a dicey situation and she gets scared. Although I have started letting her sit in front of my when we run larger rapids. She doesn't like getting splashed by the water that comes over the bow and taking an extra 30 pounds out of the bow can make a big difference in how we get through waves. She's small enough that she doesn't interfere with my paddling.

One of the most important things is that the dog knows when to get in and out of the canoe. Sadie hates running rapids and sometimes when we do we're right up against the shoreline. She'd love to jump out but she knows if I tell her to stay in the canoe that she has to stay. It's also good when the dog quickly jumps out when you tell them to. Sometimes there's tricky a landing or current when things need to happen very quickly. Having the dog quickly pop out of the canoe when told to "get out" can be a big help.

A well behaved dog in the canoe is a beautiful thing. My favorite memory of a 30 day solo canoe trip in Canada last was wading upstream in a rapid through waist deep water. I was a little worried about the strong current and about stepping into a deep hole. I told Sadie to get out of the canoe at the beginning to lighten the bow and she scrambled up a tall and nearly vertical rock wall and was soon out of sight although I could hear her collar tinkling now and again. Every once in a while she'd poke her head over the edge to see where I was at. When I finally got to the top of the rapid there wasn't a good place for her to come down; and looking farther upstream it wasn't much better. I called to her and she came about half way until she couldn't go any farther. I was afraid she might panic and end up falling the last 10 feet or so. It looked like it might be a little easier about 40' farther upstream so I told her to go back up and miraculously she did. She anxiously watched me from a rock perch as I paddled a little ways upstream. Then I called to her and she disappeared from her perch only to reappear directly overhead and then wove her way from rock to rock until she was a couple feet above the canoe before jumping into the bow. I can't explain it but it was a really special feeling, like we were really working as a team.

Sadie has a PFD that she only wears in larger rapids. Thankfully the store had two or three brands so I brought her in to try them on. Small fit best in one brand and medium fit best in another. We chose the one that fit best of all. I think its best to try them on in person if possible.

Good luck with your new paddling partner!

20150608_007 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Maybe you want to build some sort of platform the dog could sit/lay on. Dogs like to be able to see over the edge. If they can't see when they sit down they're likely to stay standing.

Good point there. I'll have to cobble something together for him.

Canoe obedience training depends on the owner and dog. Sadie's place is in front of the thwart and that's where I expect her to stay. I also have a pretty strict "no petting" policy in the canoe. I don't want her thinking she can sneak back and bug me for attention. Nor do I want her to run between my legs if we're ever in a dicey situation and she gets scared. Although I have started letting her sit in front of my when we run larger rapids. She doesn't like getting splashed by the water that comes over the bow and taking an extra 30 pounds out of the bow can make a big difference in how we get through waves. She's small enough that she doesn't interfere with my paddling.

More great feedback! My dogs both run to me if they feel threatened, uneasy, scared etc. Rapids might freak him out a little, but I'll give hime lots of time to get comfortable riding with me before I make him do anything too wet :)

One of the most important things is that the dog knows when to get in and out of the canoe. Sadie hates running rapids and sometimes when we do we're right up against the shoreline. She'd love to jump out but she knows if I tell her to stay in the canoe that she has to stay. It's also good when the dog quickly jumps out when you tell them to. Sometimes there's tricky a landing or current when things need to happen very quickly. Having the dog quickly pop out of the canoe when told to "get out" can be a big help.

I agree for sure. We have our dogs trained to enter and exit the vehicles on demand and to head to the side and wait until traffic passes, wait at corners etc. He should take to the "get in" and "get out" commands for the canoe easily enough.... I hope.

A well behaved dog in the canoe is a beautiful thing. My favorite memory of a 30 day solo canoe trip in Canada last was wading upstream in a rapid through waist deep water. I was a little worried about the strong current and about stepping into a deep hole. I told Sadie to get out of the canoe at the beginning to lighten the bow and she scrambled up a tall and nearly vertical rock wall and was soon out of sight although I could hear her collar tinkling now and again. Every once in a while she'd poke her head over the edge to see where I was at. When I finally got to the top of the rapid there wasn't a good place for her to come down; and looking farther upstream it wasn't much better. I called to her and she came about half way until she couldn't go any farther. I was afraid she might panic and end up falling the last 10 feet or so. It looked like it might be a little easier about 40' farther upstream so I told her to go back up and miraculously she did. She anxiously watched me from a rock perch as I paddled a little ways upstream. Then I called to her and she disappeared from her perch only to reappear directly overhead and then wove her way from rock to rock until she was a couple feet above the canoe before jumping into the bow. I can't explain it but it was a really special feeling, like we were really working as a team.

That's awesome, she sounds like a great dog! It's nice when they tune in to us and get into that pack mentality. My guys aren't quite 2 yrs old yet but they are already very tight with us.

Sadie has a PFD that she only wears in larger rapids. Thankfully the store had two or three brands so I brought her in to try them on. Small fit best in one brand and medium fit best in another. We chose the one that fit best of all. I think its best to try them on in person if possible.

Good luck with your new paddling partner!

Thank you! I really appreciate the time you took to provide your thoughtful, and experienced feedback. If anything else pops into your head I'd love to hear it.

More great feedback! My dogs both run to me if they feel threatened, uneasy, scared etc. Rapids might freak him out a little, but I'll give hime lots of time to get comfortable riding with me before I make him do anything too wet :)

You've got a big advantage with a dog that's so small. Even if the dog would run to your feet if it got scared it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. An 80 pound lab jumping over the thwart and sitting in your lap while you try to navigate rapids would be another story.

Sounds like you've got a well couple well trained dogs. I don't think you'll have much problem with them in the canoe.

Alan

I've never taking a dog in a canoe, but have in a small sailboat. She always wore a PFD. Standard Poodles are water dogs, but with all the hair, that can weigh them down making swimming harder. Also getting them back in the boat is easier with a PFD on. Just my two cents.

One thing that you have to be aware with PFD's on dog, especially dogs with a good coat, is over heating. Just be sure that you monitor them often. Soaking the PFD in the water periodically on a hot summer day is a must!

No Title

For several years I have taken my 11 pound (12 when wet) toy Australian Shepherd Sadie (too) upon solo canoe adventures around home and in the BWCA. She really enjoys going "camping" and can hardly wait to get her pfd on and go along as the bow rider. Historically I have used a tandem canoe and she hops right up on the stern, now bow, seat. When I am packing she will sometimes ride the duluth pack forward of me in the canoe.

As I am currently building a solo canoe, in my mind's eye I have crafted a canvas sling perch to be mounted a couple of feet behind the bow deck. Also, I recently heard that a temporary umbrella would be good to shade her in the heat of the summer. Not a bad idea and something I will consider.

On portages I put her on her leash for the first crossing and then, if nobody is on the trail I will let her off leash. Typically well mannered, she sometimes gets spooked and howls as a rooster, by new people especially if they have big floppy hats and sunglasses on. And, some people just don't like dogs, so it is better to be respectful than sorry.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of a pdf is the ability to drag the dog back into the boat using the handle. A real convenience when my napping hound slips off the pack into the water! Bright yellow, the pdf also helps me keep an eye on Sadie in camp. A small dog, she can become easily misplaced. The added jacket provides a bit of insulation in the cooler shoulder months. Thus far she has yet to complain.

Size matters and there is a pretty good selection on the market. Sadie likes, and looks styling, in the Ruffwear and it will likely last her lifetime. A great investment.

Attachments

• photo4317.jpg
    photo4317.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
I've never taking a dog in a canoe, but have in a small sailboat. She always wore a PFD. Standard Poodles are water dogs, but with all the hair, that can weigh them down making swimming harder. Also getting them back in the boat is easier with a PFD on. Just my two cents.

Makes sense to me. As a typical empty-nester, my dogs are like my new kids and I am very protective. One of my main concerns would be getting them back in the boat should they decide to take a shortcut to shore. Sailing is one of my great passions in life too.

One thing that you have to be aware with PFD's on dog, especially dogs with a good coat, is over heating. Just be sure that you monitor them often. Soaking the PFD in the water periodically on a hot summer day is a must!

Very good tip there. My male is a hairy bugger, and every spring we have to rake all his undercoat out as he does not shed it properly. Heat is always a concern with him. We have a small kiddie pool at home that he likes to cool off in on warmer days, so it's fortunate that he loves the water. I have also been putting thought into some kind of shade system for the canoe for the really hot days - not so much for myself but for the canine passenger(s).

For several years I have taken my 11 pound (12 when wet) toy Australian Shepherd Sadie (too) upon solo canoe adventures around home and in the BWCA. She really enjoys going "camping" and can hardly wait to get her pfd on and go along as the bow rider. Historically I have used a tandem canoe and she hops right up on the stern, now bow, seat. When I am packing she will sometimes ride the duluth pack forward of me in the canoe.

As I am currently building a solo canoe, in my mind's eye I have crafted a canvas sling perch to be mounted a couple of feet behind the bow deck. Also, I recently heard that a temporary umbrella would be good to shade her in the heat of the summer. Not a bad idea and something I will consider.

On portages I put her on her leash for the first crossing and then, if nobody is on the trail I will let her off leash. Typically well mannered, she sometimes gets spooked and howls as a rooster, by new people especially if they have big floppy hats and sunglasses on. And, some people just don't like dogs, so it is better to be respectful than sorry.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of a pdf is the ability to drag the dog back into the boat using the handle. A real convenience when my napping hound slips off the pack into the water! Bright yellow, the pdf also helps me keep an eye on Sadie in camp. A small dog, she can become easily misplaced. The added jacket provides a bit of insulation in the cooler shoulder months. Thus far she has yet to complain.

Size matters and there is a pretty good selection on the market. Sadie likes, and looks styling, in the Ruffwear and it will likely last her lifetime. A great investment.

That's awesome! They are great little dogs - all the intelligence and stamina of the full-size Aussies in a much smaller package. Yours look very similar to our female - a red/blue merle.

Does yours get bored in the canoe at all? This is also something I have been wondering about with ours. My male is very much a high energy dog and needs to be run at least twice a day for an hour or so or he can be a bit of a butt-head. I figured I would have to make land every hour or so and let him move around a bit. He sticks to me like velcro so I don't worry too much about him running off, but I do have a 20' tie-off that I carry in case I need to keep him contained temporarily.

Sadie has yet to be bored in the BWCA as she is almost always on alert, unless it is late on a lazy warm day and the pack is just too comfortable. Once in camp she will get her "fly-bys" out of her system then find a spot to curl up and call her own. That is of course unless it is bed time. Then she hangs at the tent and gives me the sleepy eye look, "Is it time yet?" This year I plan to bring a frisbee along on my outings to play catch as last year my girl poked herself pretty good chasing around with a stick in her mouth.

I failed to mention you have a handsome dog. They have unique personalities and lots of energy. Sadie is good little dog, but suffered a horrible storm/flood when she was a pup and doesn't care much for the thunder or fire works. No fear of moose though.

Definitely a vest with a handle on it. My 35 lb. buddy jumped out once and it made it a lot easier getting him back in. I've used it to lift him into my pack canoe on muddy banks also. It keeps him and my boat cleaner. Plus it would make it easy to dip your handsome (and I mean handsome!) little fella in to cool him off if he is good with you doing that. A buddy of mine dips his Pomeranian like that and he (the dog) loves it.

I'll second watching it in hot weather. It's easy for a dog to overheat wearing a vest. I have to admit when it hits the 80's, if we're paddling calm water and staying near the shore I don't make him wear it. I think it's just too hot for him.

I use the piece-together foam pads for a good no-slip base for mine. I cut out a spot for a water bowl to sit in the foam. I use one of these "spill-proof" bowls in the car, then place it in the boat for him too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GULX04?psc=1 Works great!

Last edited:
More great tips! Very much appreciated!

Yes, Rikki is a handsome young fellow - Papas' little chick magnet :cool:

Once we were walking through a park with him and I noticed a group of young women walking a short distance from us. I said to my wife..."watch this". I launched his ball so that it landed near the girls, and then I sent Rikki after it. Needless to say there was a loud chorus of "aaahhhh" and "OMG he's so cute" from the girls, and they did their best to try and coax him in for some sillies and giggles. Rikki wasn't having it, but it was a truly funny stunt. My wife got a good laugh out of it too, but warned me most sternly not to use the dog to pick up girls :rolleyes:

I am fortunate that my wife shares my sense of humor, or I may well be strung up in the forest somewhere by now. I don't actually stray, but I do enjoy a good laugh.

We have on some rivers, but have seen enough bad scenes in whitewater we generally don't. Boat dumps (or dog falls out) in long Class III-IV rapid dog tries to swim for shore, but can't get up the bank for rocks or brush, keeps trying, keeps gets swept, gets exhausted, then cold, then hangs up on a rock or strainer, still struggling, more exhausted, Dog Dies and owners sit on bank and cry because they have a hard time even recovering the body. I've seen this scene play out on several MT rivers, very sad. One time on the lower Madison River and it's just a long Class I-II riffle, dog ended up stuck in a small strainer in an outside bend, water too deep to wade and they couldn't get to the strainer though the brush after the got landed.

Our German Shepard has an NRS PFD and yep she wears it like we wear our ours, didn't have a pic on my computer with her in it, but here she is loafing around somewhere in MT :- )
IMG_1206.JPG

My two dogs are just under 25lbs each and wear NRS small PFDs. They have spent quite a bit of time on Class I-II water and the PFDs have held up well. They do have a sturdy handle which I agree is essential. I have yet to accidentally dump them in the water, but they have swum short distances in the PFDs and the jackets seem to function properly.

http://www.nrs.com/product/2140/nrs-cfd-dog-life-jacket

My two dogs are just under 25lbs each and wear NRS small PFDs. They have spent quite a bit of time on Class I-II water and the PFDs have held up well. They do have a sturdy handle which I agree is essential. I have yet to accidentally dump them in the water, but they have swum short distances in the PFDs and the jackets seem to function properly.

http://www.nrs.com/product/2140/nrs-cfd-dog-life-jacket

Awesome, thanks for the link and feedback. Much appreciated.

Back