• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Painting method/sequence

Reaction score
I’m wondering about technique of applying the final coat of paint to a canoe hull. Let’s assume that the hull has been properly prepared to receive its last coat. My assumption is that starting from one end, I roll and tip the sides and bottom all at once in two foot increments until I reach the other end.

Or …. Do I paint one half of the canoe to the center line and then paint the other half.

I imagine it might matter whether this boat has a keel. Let’s assume no keel is present.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

You are over thinking it. I have painted a lot of canoes with all different kinds of paint. I like enamel. It looks really good.

To be safe I always go down one side and back on the other. You end up with a small seam in the center, but who cares, it’s on the bottom. Depending on the paint/varnish, and the temperature/humidity, you may not have time to switch back and forth without ending up with brush marks. I’ve had a couple paint and varnish jobs ruined trying to do that. From now on I do 2-3’ sections, one side at a time. Also, make sure you’ve got good lighting on the sides. That’s where it counts , the bottom will take care of itself.

Mark

Back