• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Painter, Lining Rope Lengths

Reaction score
What do you like for these ropes? Anyone use just a long lining rope for double duty? I'm a 12' x 25' guy, but that could change. Seems like I never have enough to get the job done easy. I'm thinking of reforming to a 15' x 30' persuasion.

I haven't truly lined or tracked anything in more than 20 years, basically since I gave up regular whitewater running. Therefore, I wouldn't outfit a daily touring canoe with long lining ropes. My painters are about 15' bow and 12' stern of floating 1/4" poly rescue rope. If I go on an extended trip, I take a small rescue rope bag with 50' of line, which clips onto the back of my old Stolquist PFD (or pack) and which can be used for additional lining length if necessary.

I'm a square, I use the same length bow and stern, usually about 18' (three armspans, +/-). I also like the floating polypro, although I believe mine are 3/8", thick enough that I can pull hard without hand discomfort.

There's an optimization with length -- utility increases, but so does the tendency to tangle. I had a 30' for a while but it got on my nerves so I eventually cut it down. I also had a 14' pole, and a 66" beavertail. I guess I'm learning to appreciate moderation.

I like my painters to be at least 1 metre longer than the boat so that both ropes can be held at all times when lining. I carry a throw bag (75 foot) if I really need a long rope but as a solo paddler I do not like to use it for that purpose, I have used it in 2 man lining when the topography (high cliff/bank) requires it.

Lining big high volume rapids can be very risky, failing to maintain tension on bow and stern at all times can lead to disaster, the longer the ropes the more likely it can happen.

On the other hand, lining small rapids because they are too shallow to paddle is one situation where longer ropes can be useful and not a hazard

I use 10 or 11MM braided floating rope. I really hate the 5 or 6mm non-floating rope some of my friends use, chews up my gloves and my hands!

This is a timely thread as I'm still mulling what lengths of lining line to use on two canoes. My thoughts are to put a loop of line through the lining tube in the hull tied with a double fisherman's knot and attach the actual lining line with a carabiner when needed. I'm a bit up in the air as to the length of the loop and wondering if I'm over thinking it. I don't want it long enough to act as a bridle or to ever get stuck between rocks but want it large enough to grasp if I need to drag the canoe up a bank or onto the beach without my hand getting crushed.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Here's a pair of pictures of a 4" loop of accessory cord followed by pictures of a 5" loop. When I make up my (alleged) mind I'll use 3/8" or 7/16" line for the loop to be kinder to my aging hands.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

And a 5" loop.

As far as lengths for lining/painters I'm contemplating something around 25-30' as both canoes are in the 16' range. If anything really long is needed in camp or on the water I have a rescue throw-bag with 75' of 3/8" floating line and a smaller wearable throw-bag with 70' of 5/16" Spectra cord.

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards to all,

Lance

I have dedicated lining rigs, I line like in the old days from under the boat( best way imo) I have rope of the same length but they are a bit short @ I think 20’. My next set will be 25’ each and different colours now and stern to help keep the tangle to a minimum!!

I haven't truly lined or tracked anything in more than 20 years, basically since I gave up regular whitewater running. Therefore, I wouldn't outfit a daily touring canoe with long lining ropes. My painters are about 15' bow and 12' stern of floating 1/4" poly rescue rope. If I go on an extended trip, I take a small rescue rope bag with 50' of line, which clips onto the back of my old Stolquist PFD (or pack) and which can be used for additional lining length if necessary.

Much the same as Glenn. I haven’t lined a canoe in a long time; if I am wading a canoe through the shallows I am close beside the hull holding one or both painter lines, and do not need the length. I use either 1/4 or 5/16 dia floating rescue rope as painter lines, and have several sets cut to different lengths, stored in marked bags.

That Blue Water rescue rope is expensive, so I don’t leave the painters on the boats in outside storage. With several different length painters I can grab the pair that seems best suited for the trip, although I typically use the same ropes each time.

Er, the same different ropes on different canoes. I use those painters as bow and stern tie downs on the truck roof racks. The bow line, which has further to travel to the under bumper tow rings, is always longer, usually the length of the boat +/-, the stern line is a bit shorter.

On longer canoes I don’t need as much rope for bow tie down, shorter boats need more. A bow tie down rope that is 6 feet longer than needed is a PITA, and at risk of the bitter end coming loose and flapping under a tire. I’ve seen that action, and the aftermath, a couple times with friends too long/poorly tied bow lines. I do not want that for my boats, or cab roof, or in one instance windshield.

If I need to switch out painters at the put in that is easily done, but, since I’m not lining those two ropes usually stay on the canoe on the water and on the ride back home, where they come back off.

I always have a throw bag, even on “flatwater” day trips. Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. I believe throwing line (heaving line) is a requirement in Canada.

On a multi-day trip I have some extra line along in any case.

A little longer than the boat. I like yacht braid because it coils easily and has good hand. It does not float but that is okay. 3/8 or 1/2 feels about right. I like bright colors. My current lines are blue and white and easy to see even in muddy water in the desert. It takes good footwear to line boats. No knots or loops allowed. Coiling lines is somewhat dangerous. Never get your hand caught in a loop. It is a habit from working with horses.

Back