• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paddling a solo canoe with a Greenland style paddle?

I paddle 99.9% always single blade only. Using fast power pitch strokes, I stay on one side for as long as I like, up to 20 minutes or so before switching sides for varitety and muscle tone in my extra high installed seat PB Rapidfire. However, (unfortunately, IMO) when I paddle my Rapidfire in the Adirondack 90 mile race, a double blade is required by the rules in the solo-rec race class that the Rapidfire must compete in. I do have a deck cover that I purchased with my RF for rainy days. One race year I paddled next to another RF friend, paddled by at the time by a PB employee who did not have a cover on his Rapidfire. We are both high angle paddlers for speed and power during the race. When we reached the end of Long Lake, after paddling 11 miles from the day's start, he had to stop to empty many gallons of accumulated drips while I continued on with a dry canoe.

I have a Greenland paddle cut from a spruce 2x4. It's light and flexible, making a very good low strain paddle. I use it in both my double paddle canoe (28"w, 11"d) and my Canadian canoe (35"w, 12.5"d) while sitting in the bottom. I have other double and single paddles for various uses. I have no trouble paddling seated in the bottom of a canoe, but maybe partly because I'm very tall. The Greenland has drip rings carved into it, but still drips into the boat some. In cold weather I put a cloth over my lap.

Back