• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paddling 1000 consecutive miles to cure diabetes Tennessee & Tombigbee rivers

G

Hey guys, my name is Pete

I'm new to canoetripping, i just wanted to introduce myself and share my trip with anyone interested.
My roommate and I are canoeing from fontana lake - smokey mountain national park to mobile alabama, the gulf of mexico in effort to raise money for the american diabetes association. Myself and Nolan's fathers are both type 1 diabetics and we created this trip challenge to honor the challenges they face on a daily basis just to remain alive. Im reaching out to other paddlers to share tips, suggestions, and input on this trip. I really just want to raise awareness and share my adventure with others.

I'm also arranging groups of other paddlers to join us for sections of our trip (a day paddle, or weekend groups) Not only is it going to be awesome meeting so many people with similar inspirations and passions, but it will also increase the expansion of our cause. If you want to be a part of this paddle, i welcome you aboard with open arms. So far we have one group meeting up for the beginning of the route, along the little tennessee river.

Let me know what you guys think. Comments encouraged, inspiration is welcome.

If you want to read more about the trip/challenge and our cause check out our website for the details: www.paddletocurediabetes.com

Thanks, and be well
View attachment 491Us and our fathers

Pete was up front with me during the vetting process so I checked out his website and read up on it. I told him he was welcome here and would no doubt get alot of interest and support.
Good Luck Pete and I hope all goes well.

Pete,

I'm used to paddling through wilderness with no one around for days on end in the North. I suspect that you and Nolan will have a pretty eclectic mix of environments to paddle through. I haven't paddled in the South since the 70's. Will you have a way to update your site on your progress and adventures along the way? With only a few weeks to go, I'm sure you've got it all mapped out, but hope that you could travel light if you have a way to frequently resupply along your route. What is your longest portage distance expected? Is the Penobscot in the picture the boat you will use? If so I suggest you go as ultra lite as possible, its a good boat but probably easy to overload on a trip like the one you guys are embarking on.

I look forward to some updates and it will be interesting to hear how some of your gear holds up over the course of the trip. Good Luck to you guys.

Cheers,
Barry

Barry,
Thanks for your comments :)
To update my blog I am going to be doing everything from my iphone, and anything complex will be done by my friend back home. I have a portable USB solar cell in a waterproof case that is stitched to the back of my PFD for recharging. The longest portage is the calderwood dam, approx 3 miles ascending somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 ft - its going to suck. I'm still refining my gear and packing as we speak. I trying to pack everything in 3 60 gallon waterproof sacks. The Penobscot is the triple layered poly so its about 85lbs, pretty heavy for portaging. I have the entire trip mapped out, including every dam, town, distance between towns, portage locations, and possible camp sites. That way i know how many approximate days worth of food, water, supplies to restock on.

A lot of this i know i will learn as i go and talk to locals. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from all sources to prep this journey. All in all I'm not wealthy enough to have the lightest canoe and best gear, but ive been training with what i have, knowing my gear inside and out, to be physically and psychologically prepared. I'm trying to make sure nothing i have be a mystery on the trip so all i have to focus on is my environment and the elements. Ive hiked through alaska, hitchhiked and motorcycled 42 states, lived in a car on the beach, travelled 5000 miles by moped. My new challenge awaits on these waters. woohoo

If you have any other suggestions, tips or comments, im all ears. Thanks for your time and care :)

~Pete

Thought I would bump this thread. These guys are doing a pretty good job of updating their blog (post #1) for this trip. Meeting some interesting people and some pretty good writing to boot. Its a far cry from the paddle trips I typically do and fun to read. Keep it up guys.

Barry

Back