• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Paddles with offset T grip

Reaction score
The bent, Bending Branches thread got me thinking.

I notice that when I'm paddling, the blade of the paddle is not perpendicular to the center line of the boat. I'm using a paddle with a T-grip. So, I assume I'm wasting some forward power by putting a turning force on the boat. If I put the outer side of the t-grip between my index and middle finger, that squares the blade to the boat. But that's not really comfortable.

This has me thinking about paddles where the T-grip is offset, not in the same plane as the paddle blade. Is anybody using a paddle with an offset grip? When you switch sides, does turning the paddle 180 degrees in your hand make the offset work on the opposite side?

Forgive me if this has been discussed here in the past. Search didn't find it for me.

Without making a prototype, I think the offset grip would rotate the blade the wrong direction (further from centerline by the degree of the offset) when you switch sides. In order to achieve the correct offset, you'd likely have to invert it when you switch which, of course, would put the blade in your hand and the handle underwater...

J-stroke seems more efficient but your mileage may vary.

Maybe my wrist is glued on crooked! Or maybe an old age thing where my top-hand wrist doesn’t bend in the direction of the bow, as it must to square the blade.

I have heard of slalom C1 paddlers setting the T-grip at an angle to the blade. They are using a lot of short, forward power strokes with little time for steering. An angled grip would likely reduce repetitive strain injuries.

Back