• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Paddle Grips

Reaction score
It was raining outside the other day, so I decided to line up my paddle collection.
I lined them up according to my favorite grips, starting on the left.
I quickly saw a pattern in what I liked best in grip shapes.
I should verify that these are all bent shaft paddles, to fit MY sit and switch paddling style. I know styles of paddles vary BIG time, but this is just what I like and use.

IMG_0901_zpsryfjihms.jpg

IMG_0911_zpszgm1twqs.jpg

It wasn't long before I realized what felt best in my hands. A rounded backside, made full contact in my palm, and rounded top makes switching hands comfortable.

When I look to buy a paddle, the grip on the left fits my bill the best !

Your thoughts are welcome !!!

Jim

Last edited:
Those palms grips, is that the right term?, sure are comfortable. For steady cruising that grip is my choice. However, when rapids enter the picture my hands are wrapped around a T grip. With the t-grip it doesn't matter which blade face you use, the grip is the same. Turning the blade to feather it is easier with the t-grip; you get a little torque on your grip turn and it becomes easier to hold the angle in place.

No Title

I don't have dedicated grip, I like variation lol. I use to use palm grip a lot when racing, but not any more. I really like an elongated version of Robin's grips, logger flatter bellow the palm so I can vary the hand position! That is wile tripping on calm to moderate water. When I'm paddling ww, I usually turn towards the "T", I like mine quite wide and "dowel" shaped! Grip are so personal, I have a friend that asked me to make her a grip for her Werner Bandit carbon, and I did,t like the feel of what I made, but sh loves it... https://www.facebook.com/2841919284...4191928415937/543266635841797/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• photo4089.jpg
    photo4089.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4093.jpg
    photo4093.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
I like the jig for shaping the blade !
To me, making a paddle uniform, is the real challenge, especially in a small shop without CNC equipment.

I found that using center lines help a lot with uniformity.... Mind you, I don't mind a bit of un-uniformity in what I make, it shows the hand made one of a kind aspect.... As for CNC, I don't want to start a debate, but that's one thing that take hand work skills away from craftsmanship. You're not a craftsman anymore, you become a programer. I like real wood working:eek:

I can see how the rounded top and the tapered ends would be more comfortable plus the wider (or longer) grip giving you a little more leverage for corrective strokes like a J-stroke.

It was raining outside the other day, so I decided to line up my paddle collection.
I lined them up according to my favorite grips, starting on the left.

IMG_0901_zpsryfjihms.jpg

IMG_0911_zpszgm1twqs.jpg

How do you know which you like best, Jim, when you haven't yet used two of 'em? ;)

I had a couple straight Bending Branches paddles with asymmetrical grips. Got rid of them, 'cause I also do a lot of palm rolls. Sawyer makes a nice plump "pear" grip that really feels good in my hand. I didn't like it at first, but it has really grown on me. My Kettlewell has a grip like those of Robin's (both sides!) and for some reason that slimmer design works just as well for me on the ottertail.

I'm going to have a ZRE bent here in a few days, I think - so it will be iinteresting to see how I get along with such asymmetry.

This is something we think not enough paddle makers spend enough time on! We love making cool grips! Sometimes dangerous making those tiny cuts tho. Some of these are still in process.

How do you know which you like best, Jim, when you haven't yet used two of 'em? ;)

Grass Hopper, one does not need to see a rose to smell it's presents ! ;) Good eye ! The tags gave it away.

True ! I haven't used two, they were purchased recently, but I did a little arm chair paddling, and didn't even knock over any lamps !
Beings the two in question have unfinished grips, I'm awfully tempted to slightly reshape them.

This is something we think not enough paddle makers spend enough time on! We love making cool grips! Sometimes dangerous making those tiny cuts tho. Some of these are still in process.

WOW ! Those are some elaborate grips !
I bet if I blindfolded you could pick out the one you like the best !

You know, those paddles are far too nice to actually use. They would definitely never see water in this household.

I can see how the rounded top and the tapered ends would be more comfortable plus the wider (or longer) grip giving you a little more leverage for corrective strokes like a J-stroke.
Not undertanding.... the variable grip is useful for the Northwoods Stroke.. But I do not understand how the grip influences the J stroke which is a very short quick stroke best performed by weak ladies.

Back