• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Paddle Bag

Reaction score
I thought some folks might be interested in this paddle bag arrangement we came up with. At home it is a storage bag for our two paddles and the spare. It is also nice for travel. During a trip it works very well on the portage and on the water. On the water, it stores the spare and my wife's trekking poles when not in use on the portage. The bag and gear fits on the side of the packs in the canoe. On the portage, we pull out the trekking poles and put in the other two paddles. It is then clipped to the rearmost front seat cross rail and the sliding rail of the stern foot rest. There are 1/8" shock cord loops on each end that attach to the snaphooks. It works well for us: it keeps our hands free on the portages and the canoe stays balance when carrying.
The bag is 500 denier Cordura, #9 YKK Zipper, 420 denier nylon packcloth dividers for the paddles.

Attachments

• photo3072.jpg
    photo3072.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3073.jpg
    photo3073.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3074.jpg
    photo3074.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3075.jpg
    photo3075.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3076.jpg
    photo3076.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3077.jpg
    photo3077.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks well thought out and constructed. Memaquay will certainly be interested as he's picked up a couple paddle bags after moving to carbon fiber.

I'm jealous of all you guys sewing your own gear and am thinking of giving it a shot this winter.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Looks well thought out and constructed. Memaquay will certainly be interested as he's picked up a couple paddle bags after moving to carbon fiber.

I'm jealous of all you guys sewing your own gear and am thinking of giving it a shot this winter.

I use a couple of different paddle bags, but I’m not cunning enough to DIY my own.

For protecting individual paddles I use Remington gun socks.

http://www.ruralking.com/remington-...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CKuQheHuocgCFYgUHwodWwcN_A

$6, cord lock drawstring closure and stretchable enough to fit even the widest blade.

For family trips where I need to haul a half dozen paddles out of the gear room and protect them in an overloaded vehicle I use a padded ski bag. That was a $20 end of season clearance item from Sierra Trading Post. It will hold 6 or 8 paddles, a couple of sails and other misc linear stuff.

Like this, but a double:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sw...g=ski-and-snowboard-bags~d~90/&colorFamily=01

I needed the length of the ski bag for double blades and sails, but single stick paddlers could use a shorter snow board bag.

For protecting individual paddles I use Remington gun socks.

Thats really interesting! After years of never owning a paddle sock, I received two of them on the same day this summer, and I now use both for gun socks!

We always used a snowboard bag for flying from the UK to Canada each summer. I added reinforcement with two pieces of 4mm ply on either side plus extra foam. That was in the days when the airlines would allow a decent amount of baggage!

On trips we just tie the paddles together with bungees. They often come in useful for testing the depth of the water or mud on the portage.

I've been using an old xc ski bag, I can put all the paddle for us 3 in it. It really help protecting them, keeping them together, wile shuttling fro one place to the other in the truck. We don't usually cary a paddle bag on trips. I like the bungie idea during the trip, I might start that!!

Back