• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Our Winter of Content in Canada's Western Arctic

(Note: We had set out for our winter camp on Friday, February 26. One of the main reason I wanted this winter experience was to travel through the bush in winter. This was along-anticipated day for us. The following description is a bit long, and I thought it might be too much to present. But then I thought no one has to read it completely if they don't want to. There is no exam. Feel free to skim, or simply scroll through the words to look at the images. But I will present an edited summary of the longer description in case you are interested.)

The river had opened up even more since our trip out two days ago. Once, as we stood on an outside bank, an ice jam broke free just beneath our feet to muscle its way down river, shearing off snow and 15-cm (6-inch) thick ice as it eventually came to rest 200 m (yards) down stream. In general, though, we pulled our loads easily and without worry along the edge of the frozen river. We travelled mostly without speaking, lulled by the rhythmic ‘whump, whump, whump’ of our snowshoes sinking into soft, fluffy crystals. We walked in shared silence, heading down the frozen Ross River. The boreal forest stool passively, receptively, on both banks. No bird flew, no animal moved. Nothing disturbed our winter reverie. Only a few tracks appeared sporadically in the snow to suggest that any other life existed in our private, winter palace.

Through billowing snow we followed a caribou trail down the centre of the river, once again trusting the animals’ innate sense of ice strong enough to support the herd’s weight. Half-a-kilometre (quarter mile) later, the caribou trail angled toward the left bank, and skirted along a margin of yellow-green overflow oozing out from the centre of the river. We moved forward a few steps, when Kathleen suddenly stepped into overflow. She quickly retreated to dry snow, into which she buried her feet to wick away the moisture from her mukluks and snowshoes, which momentarily froze into the dry snow.

As Kathleen knocked away the snow and frozen slush, she said her feet seemed dry. No need to change into the spare socks and mukluks that we had packed on top of the gear, where they would be easily and quickly available. We now looked for another route around the overflow. We could see that the caribou tracks veered sharply toward the willows lining the left bank. Just at the river’s edge, the ice sloped upward at an angle of 20 degrees. Below this ice ramp we clearly heard the sound of water rushing past the outside bend.

“I don’t like this,” Kathleen said. “If there’s a gap between the ice and the river, then the ice might not be strong enough to support us.”

I picked up a stick and poked several times at the angled ramp of ice. The entire sheet, perhaps only 4-5 cm thick, wavered, cracked and buckled. “This doesn’t seem like a good way to go. Perhaps the caribou came this way before the river dropped so much.”

“Well,” Kathleen said, “we can’t get to the right bank because of the overflow, and now we can’t get up onto the left bank. We seem to be boxed in. Maybe we’ll have to go back a ways.”

“I don’t know. Maybe we don’t have to go back. Let’s go have another look at the overflow. We might be able to get through there.”

We walked back to the oozing overflow in the centre of the river, bringing my stick with me. “Just stand back a little bit, Kathleen, in case I need room to jump back quickly.”

I jabbed at the overflow, and the stick effortlessly sliced through the newly-formed ice only 2 cm thick. Water bubbled up, and slid sickeningly and blackly across the previously hardened overflow. We calmly, but intently, backed up in our snowshoe tracks, which offered the only known route to safety.

We returned along our previous path 100 m back up the Ross River, where I again tested the ice. Although the stick easily pierced through the overflow, no water seeped upward. The gurgle of the river was barely audible, suggesting only a thin gap between thicker ice and flowing water.

“What do you think?” I asked.

“How would I know? You’re out there poking with the stick. What do you think?”

“Well, I think we can cross over here. That would save us a lot of backtracking. But I can’t get that image out of my mind of Charles Martin Smith falling through the ice in that movie Never Cry Wolf.

“Well, you know, if you’re at all worried, Michael, we don’t have to cross here. We can always head back even more up-river.”
“Yeah, I know. But I think it is safe to cross here. Maybe though, we should cross one-at-a-time, so as not to concentrate our weight.”

“OK. But we don’t have to cross here, if you have any doubts.”

It seemed that Kathleen had some doubts.

“I’m feeling pretty confident, Kathleen. I’ll give it a try.”

I moved cautiously, jabbing and poking at the ice every few steps. I soon stood on the right bank, the inside bend, where shallower water had frozen all the way to the riverbed. I looked back toward Kathleen, who stood calmly in the centre of the Ross River, nearly enveloped by drifting, blowing snow.

“dang, you look beautiful out there, Kathleen. Just like Julie Christie in Dr. Zhivago. I think the ice is fine. Just go slowly. Make sure you don’t jump up and down too much.”

“Not funny. Here I come. Wait there for me.” Moments later we stood side-by-side, and continued our journey down the frozen Ross River toward Ketaniatue Lake.

Suddenly the sun burst through the snowy mist. The amorphous, nearly featureless, seemingly lifeless river corridor instantly awakened, as though to spring. Small coveys of Willow Ptarmigan, pure white save for their black tails, exploded from river-side copses. Whiskey Jacks swooped coyly out from the forest, twittering pleasingly as they begged for handouts. A lone Boreal Chickadee performed acrobatically for us, flitting from tree-top to tree-top, searching for over-wintering insects that slumbered, unsuspectingly, in their cocoons.

The Ross River now flowed between ridges that sheltered us from the persistent northwest wind. By mid-afternoon, the Ross River narrowed to 20 m, (yards) and ran nearly north/south, in a direct line with the prevailing winds. Winter gusts had sculpted and hardened the ice to create a surface as smooth and firm as a suburban sidewalk. Our snowshoes clattered happily as we pulled our loads easily on the frictionless crust.

32616473918_7111c2975e_b.jpg

We arrived at our intended camp at 2:45 pm, but needed nearly 4 hours to set up the tent, organize camp, and cut wood from two nearby dead spruce trees. We cleared an area of brush, and strung our tent between two live spruce trees. The sides of the tent were pulled taut with guy ropes tied to adjacent stumps, snags and saplings. I excavated a snow basin for the wood-burning stove while Kathleen used the machete to harvest spruce boughs for our floor of green.

I then placed some of the split wood around the stove, where it would dry during the night. This wood, which absorbs heat from the stove, will also help prevent melt-back of the cooking area that could cause the stove and stove pipes to shift or collapse. I stacked the rest of the split wood outside the tent door where it would be easily accessible during the night. Finally, I started the fire, and collected snow to melt for tea and drinking water. A difficult day for me physically, but thoroughly enjoyable. I’m finally experiencing what it means to camp in a frozen, winter, northern forest.

45576042645_ba6a148aaf_b.jpg

The tent quickly warmed to +25 C (77 F). While I rested in the heat, Kathleen leisurely prepared chili and cornbread bannock for dinner on top of the wood stove. We have now been at the north end of Colville Lake for nearly one month, and have seen only the RCMP who came specifically to visit us. Kathleen remarked how fortunate we are to live and travel in a landscape that is essentially ours to enjoy in whatever way we wish.

I wrote in my diary by candlelight with the stove purring and all the chores complete. I felt completely satiated with our chili dinner; but Kathleen is passing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies my way!

45576331595_7bb6190c63_b.jpg

The temperature remained at -16 C (3 F) all last night. We allowed the fire to go out at 11:30 pm, partly out of concern about a tent fire, and partly because we had previously been warm in our wall tent in Inuvik, even when the temperature fell overnight to -26 C (-15 F). Minus 16 degrees sounded downright toasty by comparison. Nevertheless, Kathleen said she felt cold, beginning about 2:00 or 3:00 am.

I went to bed last night only reluctantly, as our tent looked so cute and charming by candlelight, with our winter gear silhouetted in the corners, and the stove keeping us warm. Even after Kathleen blew out the candles at 11:45 pm. I lay awake, enjoying the moment for another hour. The white cotton walls of our tent pass a great deal of light, such that it was still easy to see by the moonlight that periodically broke through the partial overcast.

The next day we took a short jaunt to Ketaniatue Lake today served two purposes, the first of which was to see some new country along the lake shore. Our second goal was to create a trail directly up against the right bank, just in case we can’t retrace our original path back across the river and the overflow tomorrow on Sunday.

In the afternoon we shored up the tent-stove platform with additional pieces of wood, and filled the melt back area around the stove with more snow. Stove shifting that separates the sections of pipe is a common cause of tent fires. I then resumed the tasks necessary to live comfortably through the winter night. I crossed back over the river to the right bank where this morning we had seen two, dead 4-m-tall (12-14 feet) spruce trees. I felled both, and sawed one of them into stove-sized lengths. I filled the toboggan with firewood and kindling, and returned to camp.

Kathleen stood in front of the tent, holding up our water buckets. She suggested that we try to get liquid water, rather than melting snow and slush. “After all,” she said, “there’s plenty of thin sections out there that should be easy to break through.”

Together we snowshoed happily 150 m (150 yards) along the edge of the river toward a narrow strip of discoloured snow. Here, on the outside bend, the water still ran quickly, and an insulating layer of snow kept the ice thin, even in very cold weather. Throughout the winter, the mass of ice developing in the centre of the river had been squeezing water up into this thin, weak zone of greyish slush. In a few minutes I axed a small hole, large enough for water to percolate up through the ice. We filled two water buckets with nearly ‘pure’ water that contained only a little slush.

Later that night, while Kathleen slept, I tended the fire and savoured tea. Periodically I stepped outside to a nearly completely cloudless sky. Stars filled our universe. Snow, two metres deep, reflected and diffused the pale light of the full moon throughout the surrounding, silent forest of spruce trees, which, like sentinels, stood guard over my winter sanctuary. A slight, gentle breeze wafted our smoke to the northwest. Maybe this southeast wind will bring warmer temperatures.

The night grew quickly clearer, losing its insulating cover of cloud. By 10:45 the temperature had dropped to -26 C (-15 F), dropping even lower to -29 C (-20 F) at midnight. I became too sleepy to stay up any longer. I placed a pot of water on the stove, damped down the air intake, crawled into my sleeping bag next to Kathleen’s, and quickly fell asleep. The stove continued to purr until the few remaining coals flickered out. The last vestige of heat then filtered through the canvass roof to disappear, wraith-like, into the arctic night. Cold encircled our tent, where Kathleen and I were turtled down, very deep inside our sleeping bags.

44672135140_43e4e35678_b.jpg

(Sorry about the black debris in the lower right. Don't want to take the time to rescan the slide!)

Shortly after 8:00 am, a Raven sounded the wake-up alarm. Time to get going. The smoldering logs in the stove had kept the pot of water on top in liquid form, even though another pot only 50 cm away on the ground had frozen solidly to the bottom. Outside, the slightly overcast morning had warmed to -19 degrees. Kathleen happily reported that she had slept comfortably all night.

The return trip to our cabin home was gloriously beautiful, with the sun shining brightly for the first time in many days. A light mist of ice crystals fell through the clear, clean air. As the crystals settled on the surface of the snow, they sparkled like millions of individual stars. We often stopped, not only to rest, but also to enjoy and to admire the spectacle at our feet, glistening in the sunlight.

When we first travelled along this river two weeks ago, very little open water existed. We had snowshoed easily, and without concern. Now, however, the river had carved out long stretches of open water, even more than had existed only two days ago. Everything seemed to be in transition and unstable. We no longer trusted our original route, and often left the river completely to break new trail along the edge of the bank. Once, just as Kathleen had stepped off an ice shelf into the trees, the ledge gave way beneath her toboggan, and fell away into the river. Fortunately we didn’t lose any gear. Even more fortunately, we didn’t lose Kathleen.

The sun was actually warming my face when we reached the cabin in mid-afternoon, somewhat tired, but very satisfied. It felt like coming home. It also seemed as though a new portion of the winter had begun. The outside thermometer read -11 C (+12 F). I hesitate to say that spring was near, but icicles hung and dripped from the south-facing eave, and the ice in The Narrows lay decaying before us. Maybe warm weather is not too distant into our future.

We unlocked the door and removed the window shutters. Sun streamed and sparkled throughout the cabin as never before. We started the fire and settled into a tranquil evening of reading, writing, sipping tea, pumping the Coleman lantern, popping a bowl of popcorn, and playing cribbage.

32616468268_7cccc2d969_b.jpg

After breakfast, on March 3, we headed back up the cut line over the "Ridge" to break more snow trail to Ketaniatue Lake. Above Colville Lake, to our south, a spectacular parhelion encircled the sun. Bright sunlight shone down upon us as we showshoed through open stands of spruce draped with sparkling mounds of snow.

45576033355_860295d8fc_b.jpg

Even though our breath condensed into frost as we hiked, we felt completely warm.

45576175515_f1cf7e87d5_b.jpg

In slightly less than two hours we had packed an additional 1.5 km (1 mile) of trail, and finally stood on Colville Ridge, at the height of land, gazing down upon Ketaniatue Lake 120 m below 2 km (1.2 miles) to the north. The hardest, uphill section of our trail has now been completed.

Kathleen and I stood together, content with our work. We silently faced into the cold wind that streamed toward us from somewhere out over the Arctic Ocean, 500 km (300 miles) to the north. At that moment, during the depth of winter, it is very likely that Kathleen and I were the last two people on the North American continent, in a 350-km-wide (215 miles) swath between Tuktoyaktuk and Paulatuk, in all of that isolated vastness north to the polar sea. Behind us, 45 km (28 miles) to the south, fewer than 100 people lived in Colville Lake. Only 640 people lived in Fort Good Hope, the next closest community, 160 km (100 miles) to the southwest, as the Raven flies. The nearest paved road, the end of the Dempster Highway at Inuvik, was 350 km (215 miles) to the northwest. The next closest all-weather road, at Wrigley on the Mackenzie River, ended 500 km due south.

We were truly alone – alone as we can be in today’s modern world.

46489096301_2af4f95a28_b.jpg

On March 7 the temperature fell to -42 C (-43.5 F), and I began to wonder how much wood we actually had buried beneath the tarp just below the cabin.

45765622614_86be84e0f0_b.jpg

Despite the cold weather, every day brings pure exhileration of gliding along our own snowshoe trails across frozen Colville Lake. It is as though the world has been newly created, and Kathleen and I are its first and only inhabitants.

45765623904_48e61cf0e3_b.jpg

Since arriving here on January 31[SUP]st[/SUP] we have seen only 4 people, the RCMP party, for a couple of hours.We are the only people in the country and we go at will or whim wherever we want. We have traveled north along the river, on the overland route, and south up Colville Lake. Our trails in the snow mark our passing. We see no one, except for the animals. This is truly our place. There aren't many places in the world a person has such freedom.

32616467388_8fdb569494_b.jpg

To provide some regimen to our lives, we have decreed that Friday is bath day, and that Saturday is laundry day. Doing laundry without power differs considerably from doing laundry at home. Doing laundry in North Vancouver is almost like an afterthought. Put the clothes in the washer, and then go away to do some gardening for half an hour or so. When the washer stops, transfer the clothes to the dryer. Turn on the dryer and then go away to enjoy a toasted bagel for lunch. Come back in half an hour or so to put away clean, fresh clothes. Get on with the rest of your day.

Here at the cabin, without electricity or running water, laundry is the rest of our day – laundry is our whole day. And it’s not because we have so many clothes to wash. In fact, we have very few clothes to wash, as we often wear the same clothes throughout the week. The laundry usually includes only two pairs of long wool underwear, two pairs of wool socks, plus 3 to 5 pairs of ‘regular’ underwear. Without power, however, laundry poses a formidable challenge to those of us accustomed to the comforts of city life.

To begin the process, I need to bring up eight buckets of water from the lake, two at a time. Kathleen heats the buckets on the propane stove and dumps the hot water into a larger metal basin. The clothes then soak for a while, until Kathleen washes them the very old-fashioned way, by rubbing and agitating them with her hands. We don’t even have a rock to pound them with. In Vancouver, we often go to antique and second-hand stores looking for interesting furnishings. We commonly have seen old washboards sitting idly on corner shelves. We then remark, with respect, how hard it must have been to wash clothes using just a washboard. How much we wish we had a washboard now. In all the readings we have done about the ‘how-to’ and romance of isolated cabin life in the bush, no one ever mentions the mundane task of doing laundry. No one ever mentions how useful it would be to take a simple item like a washboard. No one ever mentions how much this simple washboard could improve one’s life.

After the washing is done, I need to take out eight buckets of gray water, two at a time, and dump them, about 20 metres (yards) behind the cabin, over the hillside. I can’t just toss the used water outside the door, which would be much easier for me. Water is heavy, and difficult to carry very far. Water chucked outside the door, though, would instantly turn our pathway into a winter-long sheet of ice. The pathway to the outhouse, compact and slick from constant use, is already far too slippery. The path takes us over a little rise at the corner of the cabin, where we can read the thermometer hanging on the outside wall. Heading back down the slope has been particularly risky. Kathleen and I have fallen many times – probably twenty times each. Like a gunslinger’s belt, we should be carving notches into the wall to record the carnage. It’s getting to the point where we expect to careen down the hill, and we are becoming skilled at falling gracefully. Perhaps we should have planned a better route to the outhouse, or perhaps we should line the path with spruce boughs.

After dumping the gray water, I then need to bring eight more buckets up the hill, two at time. Kathleen heats the buckets on the propane stove and dumps the hot water into the metal basin. The clothes then soak for a while, until Kathleen wrings them out the very old-fashioned way, by twisting them with her hands. Kathleen says that the item she misses most from our home in Vancouver is the washing machine. More specifically, she misses the spin cycle of the washing machine. It takes a very long time of twisting and resting, and re-twisting, and flexing of tired wrists, and twisting again to wring enough water out of the clothes so that they are ready to hang.

We remember those long ago days of the 1950s, when our parents and grandparents owned ringer-washers – washing machines with a mechanical wringer mounted on the side. One still occasionally sees these machines at second-hand stores. How simple it would have been for us to have brought an old mechanical wringer. In all the readings we have done about the ‘how-to’ and romance of isolated cabin life in the bush, no one ever mentions the mundane task of doing laundry. No one ever mentions how useful it would be to take a simple item like a mechanical wringer. No one ever mentions how much this simple wringer could improve one’s life.

After the rinsing and wringing, I take out eight buckets of gray water, two at a time, and dump them, about 20 metres (yards) behind the cabin, over the hillside. We are now ready to hang the clothes.

46489095681_dca4c3e503_b.jpg

When we first did laundry at the cabin, we hung the clothes on drying racks strung from the ceiling. This seemed logical, but was very inconvenient. First, the racks were small, and sometimes could not accommodate all of our clothes at once. Secondly, we quickly grew tired of walking into and between wet clothes for the rest of the day. So last week I packed in a path called Laundry Lane, at the end of which I strung a clothesline between two trees so that we could dry the clothes outside.

We hadread that even in the coldest temperatures, laundry would dry if the wind were blowing. The strong southeast wind from yesterday persisted, and we decided to hang our laundry outside, hoping for the magic of sublimation, whereby ice turns to a gas (vapor) without first passing through the liquid stage. Such a miracle would leave our dry clothes fluttering happily at the end of the day. I loaded up our laundry basket, grabbed my can of clothespins, and trudged out back to the clothesline. I picked up the first wool sock, which had frozen solid, and stood rigidly upright when I held it by the toe. I pinned it to the line, and reached for the next sock. It too was frozen solid. In fact, all the clothes had frozen solid.

Now, as you might suspect, pinning clothes to a line requires dexterity. Pinning clothes can not be done while wearing bulky mitts. Pinning clothes to a line requires fingers – fingers that quickly become numb and useless when exposed to wind and to frozen underwear, even at a relatively warm -6 C (+21 F). After a few minutes I retreated to the cabin to thaw my fingers. Eventually though, after a few trips out to pin, and a few trips back to thaw, all the clothes were hanging from the line. I sat down at the table to enjoy a mug of tea. The laundry seems to be under control.

Unfortunately the wind died a few hours after pinning our clothes to the line. Even nine hours later, all laundry except the pillow cases remained stiff as that proverbial board. Maybe we’ll have better success next time. Any way, laundry day was now over. In all the readings we had done about the “how to” and romance of isolated cabin life in the bush, no one ever mentioned how difficult laundry day would be. Then again, no one ever cautioned us against urinating in the outhouse, either.

44672194790_5a1fd9f16d_b.jpg

On March 19, It now seems that perhaps we won’t need to cut much more wood. Today brought a strong southwest wind (30 km/hour; 20 miles/hour), and afternoon temperatures of minus 12 C (+10 F). We sit comfortably warm in the cabin as much as a metre (three feet) away from the stove. The ice above the narrows is slumping in a large semi-circle nearly from shore-to-shore. The days are getting longer. The sun is definitely warm. The weather report on CBC indicates plus temperatures (above 32 F) for many of the southern NWT places such as Hay River, Fort Smith. Even the western Arctic Coast temperatures are getting up in the minus teens (five or so F). It is almost 5:00 p.m., but the sun is still high in the sky.

I thought you said that was going to be a long-winded entry? I was reading and then suddenly, unexpectedly, it was over just as I smiled at the warm 5:00 pm sun shining high overhead.

Alan

I thought you said that was going to be a long-winded entry? I was reading and then suddenly, unexpectedly, it was over just as I smiled at the warm 5:00 pm sun shining high overhead.

Alan

Alan,

i was was referring to my entry about going down the Ross River to our intended camp. In today's world, I just assume that people don't really want to read a lot of words. Old-time Russian novelists would be hard pressed in the days of Twitter.

That stove in the cabin is the one we refer to as the "Hippie Killer", and can still be bought from Great West Metals in Manitoba. https://www.greatwestmetal.ca/collections/air-tight-heaters/products/air-tight-heater

You have had a very fortunate life to find a partner for your excellent adventures. I'm pretty sure if I proposed a similar endeavour, I would be on marriage number four.

Why do you call it the Hippie Killer, Mem? Perhaps because it didn't make a lot of heat? In the spring we had some visits by native people from the town of Colville Lake. They often used cast-off fuel drums to fashion wood stoves. Stocked them chuck full of wood. Their cabins were truly toasty hot. On one visit, a gentleman looked at our stove, and asked, somewhat rhetorically, "So. You stay warm last winter?"

Alan,

i was was referring to my entry about going down the Ross River to our intended camp. In today's world, I just assume that people don't really want to read a lot of words. Old-time Russian novelists would be hard pressed in the days of Twitter.

Da!! Lots of words! Lots of pictures! Khorosho!!

I think they were called hippie killers when "back to the land" hippies bought them and put them in there plastic/tarp shelters, that inevitably burned down. Our school club used them in the 60's in their winter tents...they had a propensity to burn holes through them after a year or two, but for the price, they couldn't be beat. Did you experience the strange "burping" of the lid sometimes? I threw out about seven of them last year that were beyond salvaging.

The following description is a bit long, and I thought it might be too much to present.
Not too long at all IMO. You are a good storyteller as well as having some truly mesmerizing subject matter. I am really enjoying reading this (even after a 14 hr workday when I should be sleeping!). Carry on.

Saturday, March 20. Last night Bern confirmed that Margaret, Robert and Jo-Ellen were still intending to visit today; but we didn’t want to get too excited. We’ve been disappointed twice before. We ate a casual breakfast and cleaned the cabin. Only occasionally did we look out the window, up Colville Lake. If they come, they come. If they don’t, so what? Our hopes have been dashed before. We were prepared to spend the day alone.

Despite our feigned nonchalance, however, Kathleen and I actually felt like two children eagerly waiting for Christmas morning. When will our parents come to call us to the tree? It seems like we’ve been waiting all day for that knock on the bedroom door. And then, just when we were starting to lose hope, the roar of ski-doos shattered the morning stillness. Our cabin instantly filled with guests and excitement. Santa Margaret handed Kathleen a gift box of bacon and eggs, bread, coffee, onions, apples and oranges. Wow! Fresh food! Just what we wanted! Santa Margaret then presented me my neck scarf that I had loaned to Ron in February – the neck scarf that Kathleen had given to me last Christmas. We sat down at the kitchen table to tea, while Kathleen served a first course of stir-fried caribou on rice that she had prepared last night. The aroma of percolating coffee and sizzling bacon filled the cabin. Great food, fantastic company, and marvellous conversation. Without doubt the most enjoyable meal of the winter so far.

Eventually though, Kathleen and I began to think about our unopened letters still sitting on the counter, beneath the metaphorical Christmas tree. These were our best presents. We longed to rip them open, and to discover the surprises inside. We could hardly wait. Margaret, Robert and Jo-Ellen left in mid-afternoon. We prepared a fresh pot of tea, and settled in to our chairs to open our letters. We tried to be calm and deliberate, but all the letters were read voraciously in a few minutes. After waiting nearly four weeks for Margaret, Robert and Jo-Ellen to visit, it was all over. Our house was empty and so very quiet. Just like Christmas night when all the presents have been opened and all the guests have gone home. Kathleen and I felt keyed up and deflated at the same time. It was a very unexpected emotion from two people who had been reveling in our isolation.

Today marked the first day of spring – the vernal equinox – and it actually felt like spring. Last night was clear, and the temperature this morning was a chilly -27 C (-17 F). Yet the sun now has so much strength that the day quickly warmed, peaking at -5 C (+23 F) at 5:00 pm. From now on, the sun will spend most of its day above the horizon. The hourly difference between night and day will increase very rapidly, with an additional hour of daylight per week. I doubt if we’ll experience any temperatures colder than this morning’s -27degrees. Within a week, the mercury should not dip below -20 C (-4 F). That’s my prediction, based on no local experience or knowledge whatsoever.

Tomorrow we leave for our second winter camping trip. We plan to set up in that picturesque little river valley that enters Colville Lake at the Teepee Site.

44672193340_864437a08f_b.jpg

Sunday, March 21. We are sitting in the wall tent, where I write in my journal by candlelight at 9:00 pm. The temperature remains at -7 degrees, after reaching zero at 4:00 pm. Such balmy weather creates problems for winter travellers. Soon after leaving the cabin, I quickly overheated, and had to remove my toque and face warmer, despite the strong head wind. More importantly and seriously, our mukluks, liners, mitts and gauntlets all became wet from perspiration and melting snow. Wet clothing means cold hands and feet. Everything is now hanging from a drying line stretched across the centre roofline of the tent. It’s a bit crowded, but our clothing will easily dry by morning. A very domestic, restful scene as I sit in front of the stove, with a plentiful supply of wood within an easy arm’s reach.

I love the wall tent, and the process of selecting a site, setting up, and gathering wood and water for the evening. This process required nearly four hours though – much too demanding and time consuming to make any real distance during a day. Even taking down the tent, and packing the sled and toboggan, requires nearly three hours.

This means that we would spend almost 7 hours engaged in camp work every day, which has serious implications if we were to actually drag the tent to Colville Lake. If our morning were to start at 6:00 am, we wouldn’t leave camp until 9:00 am. To be comfortably set up before dark means that we would need to reach our intended camp by 3:00 pm. This leaves only five hours of travel, with one hour for rest stops and lunch. I doubt that we could pull our gear through deep, unbroken snow any faster than 2 km/hour (1.2 miles). This means that our maximum distance during a day would be 10 km (6 miles).

The distance to town, around the perimeter of Colville Lake, is approximately 50 km (30 miles), which would take us five days. It would also take us five days to return home. I assume we would spend at least four days in town, if for no other reason than to make the very difficult trip worthwhile. This means we would be away from our cabin for two weeks. I’m beginning to think that we should certainly abandon the idea of dragging our winter gear to town.

We travelled only about 3 km (1.8 miles) today, and I’m quite tired. Not worn out. Not fatigued. But quite tired. I worked very hard dragging the sled, and couldn’t keep up with Kathleen, who easily sauntered along with the plastic toboggan. Sometimes the sled pulled very easily, as though it wasn’t even there. At other times the sled seemed like it was stuck in sand – I could barely budge it, even when I leaned into the tow lines with all my weight. These Jekyll and Hyde episodes occurred in about equal proportions, and often lasted only 30 to 40 seconds. All so very frustrating, particularly when I had no idea when or where each of the sled’s personalities would next appear. Today’s dragging through snow was so much more difficult than last month’s camping trip when we dragged on ice down the Ross River.

So it appears we will certainly take Ron’s advice to travel to the town of Colville Lake ‘light’ with our backpacking tent and summer gear. Our current plans are to leave for town on March 31st. If the weather remains this warm, we should have no trouble sleeping out for a night or two on the lake, even without a wood stove.

45765648974_5299c29c31_b.jpg

The next morning, I woke late, at 9:00 am, feeling quite rested after yesterday’s struggle with my recalcitrant sled. While Kathleen continued to dawdle in her sleeping bag, I slowly cooked our breakfast bannock on the wood stove. I am not too humble to report that it was one of my best bannocks ever. A beautiful golden brown. Cripsy on the outside, and moist in the middle.

Although the temperature had fallen overnight to -17 C (+1.5 F), our clothes had completely dried in the warmth of the tent. Our mukluks and mitts were once again supple and functional. For a day-trip, we headed farther up the frozen stream, not only to explore new territory, but also to find water, as we once again confirmed that melting snow is very unsatisfactory and inefficient. I don’t know why we even bother with melting snow. Finding water should be one of our first tasks when reaching a new camp. We rounded a narrow bend where the stream coursed through a 1.5-m-wide (4.5 feet) channel. Like robins hunting for worms on a suburban lawn, we cocked our heads and could faintly hear the current flowing beneath the ice. I chopped away, and in a few minutes reached yellowish ice that indicated previous overflow. This was encouraging. I continued to flail away with my axe, and after 10 minutes had excavated a hole15 cm (6 inches) deep and 25 cm (10 inches) wide. Still no sign of water, though, and the sound of the current remained faint. This was hard work, and not much better than melting snow. We needed to find an easier source of water.

We continued showshoeing up the drainage, and in a few minutes reached the stream’s headwater lake. Animal tracks led to an open section of water where the ice had slumped in as the water level had been dropping over winter. This was exactly the same situation that had been occurring at the outlet of Colville Lake, in The Narrows opposite our cabin. We were beginning to see patterns and predictability in our winter landscape. I carefully approached the slump hole, testing the ice with my axe handle as I went. I struck a hollow-sounding section two metres (6 feet) before the open water, and easily chopped through 2.5 cm (1 inch) of fragile ice. We filled our two water pails, capped them with snow to prevent spillage, loaded them into the toboggan, and dragged our precious liquid prize back to camp.

After lunch I bucked up two more trees, which would give us more than enough wood for tonight’s fire and tomorrow morning’s breakfast. I always tend to overestimate During the afternoon we explored a side creek entering our little river valley. As we poked our way up the creek, Ravens seemed to be taking heightened interest in what we were doing. Increasingly, one or two Ravens would swoop toward us, calling out repeatedly, as though extending a greeting. Eventually we stood at the base of a knoll at the head of the frozen creek. At the top of the knoll stood a single tree – the largest spruce tree we had yet seen. Old, gnarled and multi-forked, this ancient, venerable tree truly dominated its surroundings. Near the top of this tree perched the most impressive and grandest Ravens’ nest I have ever seen. From this vantage the Ravens commanded the best view of the valley. Surely they had seen us coming. We now understood that the Ravens had not been greeting us – had not been welcoming us. Rather they had been trying to discourage our advance into their territory. The Ravens were now silent. We could see them in their nest, staring at us, wondering what we would do next. Perhaps they were getting ready to lay their eggs, or were even guarding their eggs. We left as unobtrusively as we could.

At 4:00 pm, for the first time since our arrival on January 31st, the temperature reached slightly above zero C– not quite to one degree, but certainly above freezing. These conditions were rather unpleasant, though. Not warm enough to sit outside soaking up the rays and lounging in our lawn chairs. Yet so wet that our mukluks froze into the snowshoe lamp wick bindings when the temperature dropped back below freezing.

t snowed overnight, but remained warm. Minus four C (+25 F) at 7:00 am. We relaxed throughout most of the morning – cooking bannock and sipping tea in the wall tent. We broke camp slowly, and started for home at 11:30, heading into a strong northeast wind beneath an overcast sky.

So far I had been dragging the sled with the two tails of the towlines attached directly to the tips of the sled’s runners. This is known as the ‘two-point-hitch.’ The instructions that came with my sled suggested that a ‘packeteers hitch’ tied to the middle of the sled is less tiresome, and significantly reduces shoulder strain. I thought I would give it a try, and had re-tied the towlines before leaving camp. As also suggested in the instructions, however, this ‘one-point-hitch’ proved very troublesome on winding, uneven trails in the bush. At every turn, the sled merrily continued straight in its current direction to bury itself in the deep powder next to the trail. If the trail sloped slightly to one side or the other, the sled simply slipped off, once again to bury itself in deep powder. In my brief experience, attaching the tails directly to each runner provides vastly superior directional control. When we reached the straight pull on Colville Lake a little after one o’clock, I was again very tired. We’re definitely not going to drag 50 km (30 miles) through unpacked snow to town.

Back at the cabin, Kathleen and I were stunned to see that the pond in The Narrows had grown into a veritable lake during our absence. The river flowed free for approximately 200 m (200 yards), and much of the ice above the outlet was rotten. Snow dripped from trees to form large icicles. The water at the pier was completely open. I shouldn’t ever have to axe through ice again before dipping my bucket. Spring seems to be approaching rapidly now.

On March 24, the winter, or at least the extreme cold of winter, most certainly feels over. The afternoon temperature reached -3 C (+27 F), and the ‘lake’ in The Narrows continues to expand.

Again today, as I headed east across the bay toward Woodlot Way, the snow around me settled in a stomach-churning ‘whump.’ I instantly skedaddled to shore. I don’t know if one can truly skedaddle on snowshoes, but I unquestionably felt like I was skedaddling. In fact, it might be the first time in my life that I have skedaddled, which my dictionary defines as ‘to flee in panic.’ Yep, no doubt about it. Irrespective of footwear or relative speed, I was skedaddling the heck on outta there.

We don’t really know what causes the snow to settle so quickly and uniformly, but we suspect that weaker layers beneath more recent snowfalls are simply giving way. Much like an avalanche in place. Mere settling of a snow layer does not necessarily imply danger or thin ice, but we now felt uncomfortable making this crossing. In the afternoon I completed a new snow trail, known as Upper Cabin Crescent, through the bush, from our cabin to what we called Woodlot Way. If the warm weather continues, and if the ice comes away from the shore, our current route across the lake might become inaccessible.

By the time I returned to the cabin, my mukluks had once again iced up and frozen into the lamp wick bindings. I had to step out of my mukluks in my stocking feet. It’s probably time to change footwear, so I spent the hour before dinner making new lamp wick bindings for our Sorel boots. I’m not looking forward to wearing them. They weigh a metric tonne compared to our moosehide-and-canvass mukluks. But at least they won’t ice up or freeze into the bindings.

During our evening radio conversation Bern supported our opinion that the weather should only become warmer from now on. “The worst of winter is over.” He likewise agreed that we should be warm enough if we have to camp out on Colville Lake when we go to town with our summer tent. “You won’t need a wood stove.”

Bern also extended an invitation from Jo-Ellen and Robert to join them for Easter dinner. School will be closed for Easter holidays, and they would love to entertain us. This sounds good. (Note: Easter in 1999 was April 4).

45765625014_bfe639a989_b.jpg

We put in about 20 km (12 miles) of snowshoe trails over the winter. The lower red-dotted line is Woodlot Way. The upper red-dotted line leads to Ketaniatue Lake. We can return to the cabin along the black-dotted line along the Ross River. We also put in a new trail through the bush to our second winter camp.

On March 25, we spent the day getting ready for spring. Our primary task was to create an alternative access to our winter camp of two days ago. We’re worried that our usual route to this valley might soon become impassable. Our recent experiences with the snow settling on Colville Lake might mean that the ice is coming away from the shore. We’re also concerned that warmer weather might thaw the frozen stream that leads to the camp. Either of these possibilities means that we can’t reach the camp. And we must be able to reach the camp for two reasons. First of all, it’s our favourite valley, and we hope to enjoy leisurely picnics, dinners and campfires there when the weather actually does become warmer. Secondly, and most importantly, we left a lot of wood there. No reason to let my wood go to waste. I worked hard for the wood. It's my wood. And I’m going to use it.

46489097001_444e049c01_b.jpg

So, after breakfast we put in three km (2 miles) of new snow trail. We began from Woodlot Way, crossed over a low spot at the south end of Colville Ridge, and then followed a cut line that ran southeast almost directly to the camp. My wood was still neatly stacked, exactly where we had left it. I look forward to burning it.

Back at the cabin we continued our spring preparations. Bern’s instructions indicated that periodically we needed to clean the wood-burning stove. We had been postponing this task, which seemed difficult. First we would have to remove the screws that connected the stove to the stovepipe. Then we would need to remove the leg screws and legs while I held the stove so that it wouldn’t fall. Kathleen would then have to slide out the platform upon which the stove sat, while I lowered the stove carefully to the cabin floor. Then we would have to take the stove outside to brush and scrape out the creosote that had been accumulating all winter. Then we would have to put everything back together again. This seemed all so very challenging, particularly because we would have to go without heat for several hours before and during the procedure.

Today seemed like a good day, though. The fire had been out since morning, and the afternoon temperature was warm, at -6 C (+21 F). It was time to clean the stove. Like many tasks in life, thinking about the job was much more difficult than the job itself, which took only about 30 minutes. We were both pleased that the smoke still went up the stovepipe when everything was back together again.

Today was mostly darkly overcast, with a constant, strong wind from the northwest. The wind battered the ice in The Narrows, and pushed warm water out and over the surface of the ice. Open water at the outlet of Colville Lake continued to grow as spring approaches.

On March 26, the northwest wind has now dominated our home for 36 hours, keeping temperatures lower than those to which we had come to expect in the past four to five days. The -19 C (-2 F) last night was the lowest temperature since last Sunday. Today’s high of -16 C (+3 F) was our lowest high since March 10. These temperatures, combined with the wind (30 km/hr; 20 miles/hr according to the CBC), forced us back into our parkas and face warmers when outside for extended periods.

45765627364_14b4564db3_b.jpg

The open water at the outlet of Colville Lake continues to expand, primarily in response to buffeting by the wind. Ominously though, I needed to chop through thin ice below the pier to obtain drinking water. Maybe spring is not really coming yet.

On March 27, The wind continues, and the weather becomes increasingly colder. At 7:00 am, the temperature equalled only -25 C (-13 F) the coldest morning temperature since last Saturday. On the positive side though, this temperature is not so cold considering that we’ve endured two days of wind surging down mostly from the north. A month ago, continuous north winds would have brought substantially colder temperatures. This suggests to us that we might be enduring the last hurrah of winter, which could be expelled altogether by the next weather system reaching up to us from the south. We hope so. It is now only four days before we intend to leave for town. We need warmer weather to make the journey comfortable.

44672182040_f4f8cd383c_b.jpg

On March 28, Winter seems to have returned. The temperature plunged to -32 C (-26 F) last night, and the predicted high for today is only -16. C (+3 F).The thaw of the past week is now reversing. Bern had told us that Colville Lake would be passable by ski-doo until late May. Yesterday we were skeptical, but today we are believers. Approximately 1/3 of the open, flowing water in The Narrows has refrozen. The wind remained strong from the north today, and Kathleen and I no longer use words like ‘spring approaches.’ We hope for a south wind. We hope for warm weather for our trip to town in three days.

We spent the afternoon putting in snow trail to Ketaniatue Lake along the right bank of the Ross River, which has become impassable in many places because of open water. Sections of this trail, which we call Riverside Drive, were already in place from previous times that we were forced to relocate from the river. We plan eventually to link up Riverside Drive with the Connector at Ketaniatue Lake, which will give us a 12-km (10.5 mile) circle route for warmer days that surely cannot be too far off.

46437713242_e07c6c4c62_b.jpg

On March 29, I stepped outside at 7:00 am and my nostrils momentarily stuck together. Uh oh. Must be colder than -35 C (-31 F). I walked to the corner of the cabin and peered at the thermometer. Double uh oh. Minus 41 C (-42 F). I glanced toward The Narrows, where the ‘lake’ of two days ago had shrunk to the ‘pond’ that existed when we left for our winter camp on March 21st. And we thought winter was over. Silly us.

44672179870_78d1880ce3_b.jpg

After lunch we again snowshoed along the river toward Ketaniatue Lake. An island of ice surrounding a mid-channel rock had grown to three times its size of yesterday, and the 0.75-km 0.4 miles) open channel had narrowed to no more than 1 m (1 yard) wide. Winter has reasserted its grip; but I still believe that ‘the season that follows winter’ (I don’t use words like ‘spring’) might be no more than one or two weeks away. We have decided to delay our trip to town by several days, as we wait for warmer weather.

We completed another 1 km (0.6 miles) of snow trail through the bush along "Riverside Drive," but still have nearly three km (1.6 miles) to go before reaching Ketaniatue Lake.

On March 30, It was -43 C (-45 F) at 7:00 am. In the cabin, the temperature at sleeping height registered only -12 C (+10 F). The open water in The Narrows has shrunk to a mere sliver only 50 m (50 yards) long, and the ‘water hole’ beneath the pier was covered in ice 2 cm (almost an inch) thick. The north wind, however, has finally relented, and we welcomed the calm day. On our walk we were only mildly surprised to see that the 0.75-km (0.4 mile) open section of river had clogged with ice at the halfway point. The lower section of open water, however, still flowed very quickly towards its ice-covered terminus at the bottom of the drop.

Whenever it’s -40 degrees or lower, I begin to feel as though I need more wood. Certainly we have been burning significantly more wood during the last few days of cold weather. Our current stack of wood on the porch will last only two more days, until April First. Back on March 19, I estimated that the stack would last at least 17 days, until April 4. I predicted the stack would last until April 7 if we were to have gone winter camping. This means that we will have consumed the current stack of wood six days faster than originally estimated. This is not good. We burned the wood six days faster than expected over only an 11-day period. This is definitely not good – it’s definitely very bad. We’ll be heading to the wood lot tomorrow.

We expect to begin our canoe descent down the Anderson River on approximately June 20. If we continue to burn wood at the rate of the last two weeks, we will need to re-stack seven more times. Even with our original estimate of 17 days to burn the stack, we would have needed to re-stack five more times. Perhaps the best we can hope for now is to re-stack only four more times, assuming the weather does eventually warm up. We still don’t know how much wood actually lies buried beneath the snow under the orange tarp. One can’t really tell when the wood is spread out and invisible. We won’t know for sure until we actually stack and burn it. I doubt very much though, if more than four re-stacks are available. We need more wood.

46437712252_37ebc9ff85_b.jpg

On March 31, I stepped outside to walk along Privy Path at 5:00 am. The light already showed faintly but unmistakably above the eastern horizon. The thermometer read -40 degrees (same in C & F). I rose for the day at 7:00 am, thinking only of wood, focusing only on my need for more wood. The thermometer still read -40 degrees, and the open water in The Narrows had shrunk to the size of a backyard fishpond. It was relatively large for a backyard fish pond, at 10 m (10 yards) by 50 m (50 yards), but substantially reduced from the lake that existed only a few days ago. I gotta get more wood.

The morning was calm and very pleasant, with ideal working conditions. A man could work hard without sweating or overheating. I began by searching in the snow behind the cabin to see if there was any more ‘extra’ wood. During times of famine or shortage, a person naturally returns to where one last found precious commodities, whether those necessities are food or wood. After an hour of digging in the snow, I uncovered much more wood than I ever hoped would still be available – about 5 days’ supply, even at the consumption rate of the last few days of very cold weather. This was a significant bonanza, as exciting as finding buried pirate treasure. We were both very happy about it.

While we worked away in the snow, we also saw a pair of Pine Grosbeaks extracting seeds from spruce cones. This was our first sighting of Pine Grosbeaks this winter, even though they are often residents, and migrate south primarily in years of low cone production. Perhaps they too were searching harder and wider for treasure hidden within the frozen forest. Or maybe, just maybe, they were returning from the South, anticipating the advance of warmer weather.

After lunch, Kathleen and I headed out to Woodlot Way, where I felled one tree, and bucked up about one third of it into 25-cm (10 inch) rounds approximately 15 to 20 cm (5-6 inches) in diameter. Just these seven rounds filled our toboggan. We now had enough wood to feed our stove at bedtime for two or three nights, which is necessary now that the temperatures are dropping to -40 degrees. While I worked, Kathleen packed snow trails to three more suitable trees.

I’m becoming optimistic that we might have enough wood now. One tree is already down waiting to be bucked up, with three more standing dead trees ready to be felled. Also, a strong southeast wind today produced afternoon temperatures all the way up to -12 C (+10 F). We are comfortably warm in the cabin, even with the stove damped nearly completely down, and only two rounds of wood burning at any time.

At 9:00 pm, the outside temperature was still at -19 C (-2 F), and the ice above The Narrows was rotting in a large semi-circle nearly from shore-to-shore. During our radio conversation, Bern said that the unusually cold weather of the past five days should not return. And Bern knows about these things. And finally, there was the sighting of the Pine Grosbeaks. Their appearance just might be more than mere coincidence. Warm weather might actually be on the way. Perhaps we’ll go to town next week.

46437711512_1ae022d465_b.jpg

The new month of April ushered in a warmer weather system. Last night never turned any colder than the 10:00 pm temperature of -20C (-4 F). The southeast wind blew strongly all day, sweeping warmth up from the south, to raise the 4:00 pm temperature to -5 C (+23 F). It’s likely that tonight will remain close to only single digits of frost. If so, we could have travelled to town. Nonetheless, we are happy with our decision to postpone the trip until the days are calmer, and the nights prove themselves to be consistently warmer.

We again snowshoed along the river, which looked so beautiful and felt so exhilarating. We stood on the bank where two broad bends swung first west and then back east, watching the river flowing swiftly between banks of ice, as it swept past us on its way to Liverpool Bay on the Arctic Coast. I long to be on the river, paddling north. Now that the days are so long, with a hint of coming warmth, I’m beginning to feel a tad restless. I’m ready to wander, to saunter. I’m ready to stoop over a flower of spring, to feel the gentle summer sun on my face, to hear the midnight laughter of a yodeling loon. I long to be paddling on a wild river as it flows, week after week, toward a mystical world beyond the distant horizon.I’m ready for all these sensual pleasures for which I have journeyed so far – and for which I have waited so patiently.

The Hare Indians (native to this region) referred to April as Raxo[SUP]n[/SUP]radesa, which means ‘the month of very bad snow blindness.’ I’m expecting a lot of sun in the coming days and weeks.

31549370827_bde84431a9_b.jpg

After breakfast on April 3, we headed up Woodlot Way toward Ketaniatue Lake. It was a glorious morning, with only a slight breeze and a blazing sun. Perhaps the month of Raxo[SUP]n[/SUP]radesa has finally arrived. We reached Ketaniatue Lake in late morning, and turned south, back up the Ross River, packing in new snow trail along the right bank. We soon stood on the shore opposite our campsite of February 26 through 28. Even after five weeks, our old trails were still quite visible.

One-and-one-half km (1 mile) later we looked over the bank to see our tracks of yesterday heading north, down the Ross River. Our 12-km 7.5 miles) snowshoe loop was now complete. We felt like railroad tycoons of the 19th century, whose iron tracks reaching out from the east and west coasts had finally linked the continent together. It was all so very exciting. We sat down for lunch in a grove of trees that we christened as the Golden Spike Café. We ‘ordered’ a can of sardines, which had only partly re-frozen since we left the cabin three hours ago.

Our two trails had joined on a low flat immediately adjacent to the river, which would obviously flood the Golden Spike Café in spring. Most of the trees were surrounded by ice that had formed from overflow during freeze-up last fall. Not a good place to locate either a café or a snowshoe trail. We re-routed the trail to the low ridge above the flat, and headed home. We felt very satisfied with our work, knowing that we now have nearly 20 km of snow trails that should keep us entertained on day trips for the duration of winter.

We also felt satisfied with our physical conditioning. We spent seven hours snowshoeing today, and travelled approximately 14 km (8.5 miles). Five (three) of them were uphill, and nearly two (1.2) involved breaking and packing new trail. At no point did we ever feel tired – a pretty successful day for us. We feel ready to travel the 40 km (25 miles) to town. All we need is warm weather.

Today’s highest temperature reached -8C (+17.5 F). Last night remained cold, however, dipping to -21 C (-6 F). The mercury this evening at 9:00 pm has already fallen to -20 C (-4 F). Not warm enough to go to town with our summer gear.

45576133095_4b0529ff37_b.jpg

On April 4, at the outlets of lakes and ponds, we finally hear the water stirring beneath snowy blankets. After dinner, we snowshoed along the river, to where it squeezed around narrow bends confined between steep ridges. Together, at 9:00 pm, we watched the water flowing swiftly between banks of chambered ice. Superlatives would only underestimate the beauty of the landscape. The sun hung low over the ridge, sending shimmering shafts of light skipping across the black, opaque water. The sun’s oblique, alpen glow filtered through the open forest of White Spruce, whose red inner bark radiated warmly in the protracted evening twilight. Even the rickrack on Kathleen’s wind suit glimmered with light as the subdued rays swirled around her face. Beside us, the black water welled up from beneath catacombs of ice, finally released into the evening sunlight. The current bubbled and rushed past us, laughing like exuberant school children just released for their summer holidays. I wonder what it would be like to be the river itself. Northern rivers are always reborn – always young – always alive.

45576174555_495a3e6864_b.jpg

We spent another relaxing day. We rose late, at 9:15, to lounge by the fire, lingering over a bannock breakfast while sipping tea. We puttered about the cabin and camp. I filled the Coleman lantern with white gas, and sawed slices of frozen caribou for Kathleen to prepare stew for dinner. After our 7:00 pm conversation with Bern, we again showshoed out to the river, which was now running over and through parts of the bank ice. I don’t mean to sound rash, but once again I believe that it was appropriate to use phrases like ‘spring is approaching.’

Once again, we talked about going to town. This afternoon I cleared out a flat spot in the snow next to the storage cabin, and put up our summer tent. I want to test whether or not I can sleep comfortably at current temperatures. Last night’s low was -24 C (-11 F), and it’s already -12 C (+10 F) at 10:30 pm. In only a few minutes I will be leaving the warmth of the wood burning stove to head out to the tent where I will spend the night. Kathleen says she prefers to stay in the cabin. She’s happy enough for me to conduct the test by myself. She says she’s willing to accept any test results that I report to her tomorrow morning.

“Do you want me to lock the door, Michael, so you can’t get back in? You certainly want this to be a fair, complete and accurate test, don’t you?”

I’m sure she was joking. At least I think she was joking. Even if the door were locked, Kathleen would certainly let me back in if I knocked on the door. She would, wouldn’t she?

“Better leave the door unlocked, Kathleen, just in case. I wouldn’t want you to have to get up just to let me in.”

That night, the temperature fell to only -14 C (+7 F) overnight, beneath a cloudy, snowy sky. It would have been a fairly warm night for sleeping out on the ice, on our way to Colville Lake. And although I slept well in the tent, I didn’t feel as warm and toasty as I had expected. I woke at about 6:00 am, but forced myself to wait until a little after 8:00 before sneaking back into the cabin. I had to wait until the experiment was truly over. Also, no need to give the impression that I had been a little on the cold side of comfort. Back inside, I enjoyed lighting the stove, and lifting Kathleen down to the floor when the temperature reached +18 degrees.

I submitted my report during breakfast.

“When I first entered the tent, I lit the candle lantern, laid out my sleeping bag, blew up the thermarest air mattress, and prepared myself for the evening. All this release of body heat, plus the heat of the candle, warmed the tent in only a few minutes to zero (32 F). That was a full 12 degrees C warmer than the ambient temperature. I have to admit, though, Kathleen, that after only a few minutes in the bag, I was not all that warm, even though I was wearing my long underwear, and my fleece touque on my head. I spent much of the night buried way down in my bag, even though the temperature never got any colder than -10 C (+14 F) in the tent. I was a bit surprised. I think I felt just as cold as the night we spent out at Ron and Suzanne’s when the temperature was -34 C (-29 F) in their wall tent. I think I was cold last night because of being so close to the chill coming up from the ground. At Ron and Suzanne’s we were on a bunk, above a wood floor, probably one-and-a-half metres above the snow. It might be a little warmer, from additional body heat, when you join me in the tent, but it probably wouldn’t make much difference if the cold is coming from below. I think that maybe we should take some wool blankets to put below our air mattresses. That would give us more insulation from the ice, and we should sleep more comfortably. So I learned something from spending last night outside. Still, I thought I would be warmer.”

Kathleen just nodded, took a sip of tea, and said, “I was pretty warm in the cabin all night.”

45576162955_900b8be151_b.jpg

During our walk along Riverside Drive after dinner, we were excited to see the river running through, over and under the shore ice. With the sun above the horizon for approximately 14 hours/day (7:00 am to 9:00 pm), the ice must surely soon disappear entirely from The Narrows and from all running sections of the river.

The evening was warm, completely calm and absolutely clear. We lingered on the banks of the river until the twilight began to fade at 10:30 pm – a thoroughly satisfying evening. Rather than trying to describe the scene, I will resort to mere platitude and simple superlative.

“It is not possible for an evening, or a location, to be any more beautiful than that which we have experienced tonight.”

We returned to the cabin very slowly. Both of us were wishing that this moment could continue forever.

31549416667_7283949f84_b.jpg

On April 7, the north wind has returned. After three successive days when the temperature soared above -5 C (+23 F) today’s high reached only -12 C (+10 F). Although that is substantially warmer than the -40 degrees we experienced only one week ago, we both felt like staying home, sitting near the heat of the fire. Now that spring seems so near, we long to ramble outside without parkas – without mitts. We grow a little weary of winter, but not because of winter itself. We are enjoying the winter, but right now the promise of spring offers so much more freedom and comfort.

We are restless for spring. As prisoners become restless when the date of release approaches, and as a ship’s passengers become restless when the distant shore finally appears on the horizon, so too are Kathleen and I becoming a bit restless now that spring seems so near. We love our cabin and our life here. But we are restless for Spring.

46437787222_fedec120f6_b.jpg

Today, April 8, is Kathleen’s birthday! When we left Vancouver last January 1st it never occurred to me that I should have brought a present with me. Now I have nothing to give her, and nowhere to purchase a gift. I should have done a better job at thinking ahead. Still, April 8 is Kathleen’s special day, and I need to provide her with a special northern celebration.

I began by pulling out her chair and seating her at the table for a bannock breakfast that I prepared while she sipped her tea. I then surprised her with a match box, inside of which was a folded piece of paper with the following words:

“I so very much treasure walking with you on our own snowshoe trails – through our own spruce forest. I'm fortunate to have the time, the health and the partner, all of which are necessary for me to enjoy this winter of solace and solitude. My only regret is that all I have to give to you on your 47th birthday is my gratitude for making this all possible.”

Kathleen read the improvised birthday card, and began to cry. So far I’m doing pretty well. But wait. There’s more to come. Much more. We’re going out for dinner at Winter Camp II. It’s a lovely spot, and I have plenty of wood there for preparing the meal. As we won’t be taking the wood stove or the wall tent, our loads will be comparatively light. Even so, we still required a lot of winter ‘stuff,’ as the temperature at mid-morning equaled only -16 degrees.

So just before noon we loaded up the toboggan and sled with parkas, water buckets, saw, axe, cameras, tarp, ropes, cooking utensils and food. We headed up Woodlot Way, turned right onto Winter Camp Walk, and reached the "restaurant," three km (2 miles) away, in only 90 minutes. The sun was shining brightly, the temperature had risen to -10 C (+14 F), and my wood was still neatly stacked.

For our ‘outdoor terrace table’ I made a lean-to shelter with the tarp tied between four trees. I attached two corners on one side of the tarp low to the snow surface, while the opposite side slanted upward to be tied at a height of approximately 1.5 m (4.5 feet). I placed the sled in the rear of the shelter to serve as our condiment table, and dragged in a log for our chair. Kathleen sat down, and spotted a snowshoe hare hopping casually through the restaurant. Despite hare tracks appearing frequently and everywhere, this was the first one we had seen this winter. Wearing its winter coat of white, it looked very much like a small mound of snow with a pair of eyes and black-tipped ears. It momentarily stopped, frozen by our presence, and then silently bounded away.

44672271640_502966d63f_b.jpg

I now began to prepare the fire, which I located directly in front of the tarp, hoping that the shelter would retain some of the fire’s heat. It was, after all, still only -10 C (+14 F), a little too chilly for just lounging about on one’s birthday. The snow was more than a metre (three feet) deep, and I didn’t really feel like digging down to ground level. I had prepared a quick-cook meal of pasta and tea. I shouldn’t need very much fire. I decided to make a wide platform of thick logs, crisscrossed to form a bottom layer 10 to 15 cm deep (4-6 inches). I then made my cooking fire on top of this layer, added a grate, and put the pasta pot and tea kettle on top.

My plan contained two major assumptions: first, that the heat of the fire would go up, and quickly cook the pasta and boil the tea water; and second, that the thick, wide bottom layer of wood would support the cooking fire, while also insulating the snow below. The dinner would be done before the snow began to melt.

46489160961_901e2e2c99_b.jpg

This was an excellent plan, except for one minor drawback. The plan didn’t work. Within minutes, perhaps even the very moment I started the fire, the entire structure began to settle into the snow. The hole quickly became deeper and wider. As I watched my pasta pot and tea kettle sink farther from reach, I wished that we had brought a long-handled stirring spoon. It was also now very difficult to add more wood to the fire, and the meal took much longer to prepare than I had planned. The fire did provide some heat in the tarp shelter though, and Kathleen enjoyed her birthday dinner. Or so she said. And I believe her. She did comment, however, that she had never before dragged food and pots six km (3.7 miles) round trip to her own birthday dinner. I took this as a hint that she would like to do it again some time.

In the late afternoon we returned home via the little frozen river that winds down to Colville Lake at the Teepee Site. Out on the lake, we came across a ski-doo trail. We removed our snowshoes and easily pulled our loads along the nicely-packed trail. With the one-point packeteers hitch, my sled dragged very comfortably, with excellent control. We both hope that we’re able to travel to town most of the way without using snowshoes.

Halfway between the Teepee Site and home, the sun burst upon us, and bathed Colville Lake in those oblique rays that occur only in the far north. Although I look forward to spring, this simple beauty of winter, with its quiet, collage of sun-dazzled snow white, forest green and sky blue is unsurpassed. I am thrilled, on nearly a daily basis, to be surrounded by so much beauty.

Back on March 31st we had approximately eight days of wood on the porch, which, today, April 9 is once again empty. I spent the morning re-stacking, and now have a porch supply that should last 15 days at recent consumption rates. I estimate that only two more full stacks are available beneath the tarp, which gives us an inventory of 45 days, not counting the two trees that we have already earmarked for falling. Assuming we leave the cabin on June 20th, 72 days remain, for a shortfall of 27 days. If we go to Colville Lake for a total of 10 days, the shortfall decreases to only 17 days. And, as we repeatedly tell each other, our rate of wood consumption will certainly decrease as spring brings warmer temperatures. Last night, though the mercury fell to -31 C (-24 F).

Despite last night’s very low temperatures, I do feel genuinely optimistic that warming trends are on their way. I collected today’s stack of wood from around and beneath the picnic table, which is finally poking out from beneath the snow. I’m thinking barbecue, and I want to be ready!

On April 10, I concluded that we seem to have reached a new phase of winter weather, as the sun now brings almost instant warmth. Beginning last Sunday, the daily afternoon high temperature, at approximately 5:00 pm, reached -3, -2, -4 , -12 , -10 and -4 degrees C (+27, +28, +25, +10, +14, and +25 F). Today’s afternoon high also reached -4 C (+25 F), and we strolled outside with our insulated tea mugs, excitedly pointing out new spots of bare ground and exposed rock, however small. We sat on the porch bench, facing the southwestern sun, feeling warm, even without moving. Kathleen fed a Whiskey Jack that swooped in to take bits of food directly from her hand.

During our radio conversation, Bern indicated that James and Sharon, a Dene couple from town, were camping on what he called the ‘Big Island’ six km (3.7 miles) to the south. “They plan to visit you sometime during the weekend.”

They hadn’t come yet, and we didn’t think that they would come after 7:00 pm, so we went for our evening showshoe stroll along Riverside Drive. As we were returning along Upper Cabin Crescent about 8:30 we heard the sound of a ski-doo. It must be James and Sharon! Running as best that we could on snowshoes, we arrived 10 minutes later. Ski-doo tracks ran up the bank, over to the storage cabin, and then back down to the lake. Exhaust still hung in the air. The camp was empty. dang, we missed them. Both of us were very disappointed.

There is reason for optimism, though. Throughout the day we maintained the cabin at a comfortable +20 C (+68 F), and barely dented our woodpile. And James and Sharon might come tomorrow. We might be able to mail our letters.

April 11 produced a gloriously brisk (-24 C; -11 F), sunny morning, with a persistent breeze from the southeast. Two otters, just downstream from the cabin, slid enthusiastically from a snow bank into the open water of The Narrows. They immediately clambered up the slope to tumble in again. I tell you with all honesty that if given a choice I would gladly be reincarnated as a river otter! No existence could possibly be better. Otters are always playing – always enjoying life. Otters are not immobilized by winter. Otters do not wait impatiently for spring. Yes. If only I had been born a river otter. Then, like otters, I could live – luxuriantly and easily – year-round – along any of Canada’s isolated river sanctuaries.

In hope that James and Sharon would return today, we postponed our intended roundtrip to Ketaniatue Lake over the Connector and then back up Riverside Drive. Instead, we spent the morning doing laundry and writing letters. Around 4:00 pm we heard ski-doos, but no one came. For the second day in a row we were disappointed, not only because we wished to send our mail, but also because we would have enjoyed meeting local people.

The afternoon brought cloud, southeast winds and a high of -2 C (+28 F). Out on the laundry line my heavy, wool undershirt flaps casually in the breeze, even though icicles hang from its waist and wrists. We look forward to seeing if the night remains warmer.

31549410537_2b91e4e71a_b.jpg

In the morning of April 12, we loaded the sled with spare clothes, lunches, water, mail, tripod and camera, and began dragging 6 km (3.7 miles) south to the Tent Camp on the Big Island. We had gone there several times before to use the outhouse, but had never dragged a full load, and had never expected to see people. This time we hoped to find James and Sharon, and we also wanted more practice at hauling our gear. The day was sunny, bright and -13 C (+8 F). I felt euphoric.

Kathleen and I reached the Tent Camp in one hour and 50 minutes, arriving just before noon. The camp, except for two wall tents, was empty. There will be no mail delivery today.

45576143915_152b953118_b.jpg

From the southern tip of the Big Island (top right) We lingered for an hour, staring across Colville Lake, an ice-covered expanse up to 25 km (15 miles) wide, and 34 km (21 miles) across to town (bottom centre). A skidoo trail led straight across.

32616547898_df8b46e52b_b.jpg

We returned to the cabin in two hours and five minutes, for a total of nearly four hours to cover the 12-km (7.5 miles) roundtrip.

Today’s outing proved to be very easy, as we simply followed a well-packed ski-doo trail, without any need for snowshoes. We are considering ‘making a break’ for town on Thursday, to be there in time to call Kathleen’s mother Terry, whose birthday is on Saturday. Our pace today of approximately 3 km (1.8 miles/hour suggests that we could reach Colville Lake in less than 14 hours. Even if we have to, or should I say GET to, spend one night camping out on the lake, we should easily make town by Friday afternoon. We are willing to accept being cold in our tent in exchange for the adventure.

During our radio conversation I told Bern that we were planning to leave for town on Thursday, and should be there on Friday.

“It’s a long way, Michael. Margaret would be happy to ski-doo out and give you a ride to town.”

“I know she would, Bern, and I appreciate the offer. But we want to travel across the ice ourselves. It should be interesting.”

The next day we puttered about in the morning, preparing for our Thursday journey to town. We would need to take a stove of some sort, and fuel for cooking dinner and breakfast, and for melting snow, if we spend a night out on the ice. On our summer canoe trips we always take two small stoves that run on white gas. Our primary stove can burn at a very low flame, which is great for simmering. Our second stove does not have a simmer control. It is either on or off, but serves as a backup should the first stove fail. In fact, neither stove has ever failed. They are reliable and efficient in summer, but I have had no previous experience with using them in cold weather.

So after breakfast, I set both white gas stoves outside to let them cool down to the outside temperature of -10 degrees. Last night’s low dipped only to -12 degrees. This is very encouraging for going to town. After 30 minutes I pumped the primary stove 20 times, which usually produces more than enough pressure. I lit a match and opened up the fuel jet, but no gas escaped. I closed the fuel jet and pumped 40 more times. Still no gas escaped. I then tried to pre-warm the stove by holding it in my hands. I again pumped 40 times and opened up the fuel jet. The stove simply sputtered weakly, but produced no flame. This was disappointing.

Perhaps my primary stove was just not working. Maybe it’s broken. I took it inside to let it warm up. I pumped 20 times, lit a match, and opened the fuel jet. Gas sputtered upward and instantly burst into flame. Just like it always does. OK, maybe the stove was just rusty after sitting idle since last summer. Maybe it would work now. I took it back outside, and set it in the sun for 30 minutes. I pumped 40 times, lit a match, and opened the jets. No gas. No flame. dang.

I then followed the same procedure with our back up stove, which worked inside the cabin, but not outside in the cold. Our only other choice was to use Bern’s spare two-burner propane stove that we had seen in the storage cabin. First, though, we needed to determine if Bern’s spare propane stove worked at the current outside temperature. I retrieved the stove, set it in the snow, and screwed in a small propane cylinder. Even after waiting 30 minutes the stove lighted instantly. I guess we’ll be taking Bern’s stove to town.

After lunch we snowshoed along Riverside Drive. The open water continues to expand rapidly beneath a sun that blazed high in the sky. It seemed like summer had arrived, completely bypassing spring. We were way too hot, even in our light layers of wool. My forehead began to sweat, and I removed my toque. The temperature must be close to zero (32 F). Maybe it’s even above freezing. That would be exciting. We looked forward to getting back to the cabin, to read our thermometer. We arrived home just before 5:00 pm, almost racing against each other to be the first to read out the temperature. But no, how could this be? The temperature was still much below freezing, at -7C (+19 F). If minus seven feels so hot, then how would we deal with temperatures above freezing, particularly if we will be pulling heavy loads to town? Let’s hope the temperature doesn’t warm up too much in the next few days.

On April 14, it finally happened. A positive reading! Even though this morning’s temperature was only -23 C (-9 F), we reached +3 C (37 F) at 5:00 pm. A strong wind blows from the southeast, bringing with it a thin cloud cover, which should help retain some of the heat over night.

We are definitely heading to town tomorrow morning. To get an early start, we have set the alarm for 6:00 am, although I doubt I will need it. I'm quite excited, like a child on Christmas Eve. It’s reassuring to know that I can still feel this kind of excitement at nearly 52 years of age. I’m not so old after all. Tomorrow evening we'll be camped, out on the ice, in the middle of the lake. If the afternoon sun makes mush of the snow, we might camp early, and then drag on the crust that should re-form over night. Imagine the thrill of pulling my sled, in the twilight of an Arctic Spring night, beneath the dancing Northern Lights! The Northern Lights have already danced for us five times this month – we see them on most clear nights.

Over and above the grand adventure of bivouacking on the frozen lake, I’m also eager to be in town, which is quite ironic. Usually Kathleen and I retreat to the wilderness to escape people and cities. Now we’re leaving the wilderness for the sights, sounds and amenities of a town, albeit one of only 80 to 100 people. It should be interesting.We don’t yet know where we’ll be staying. That should also be interesting.

The afternoon sun has made slush of the snow in front of the cabin. The chips from the winter chopping and splitting of wood have emerged from hiding, and much of the ground in front of our cabin is now bare of snow. This means I’ll have to load the sled and toboggan tomorrow morning about 20 m (yards) out along Lower Cabin Crescent, so that we have enough snow on which to drag our gear all the way down to the lake. This will add additional time to get everything organized and ready to go. But the melting snow also means that spring continues to advance.

During our radio conversation Bern repeated Margaret’s invitation to take us to town by ski-doo.

“Thanks again, Bern, but I want to drag to town. I want to experience being out on the ice.”

“OK, but it’s a lot of work.”

“Well, that’s what I want.”

“Go ahead, then.”

Just after midnight, the Northern Lights pulsed across the heavens, arching upward from the town of Colville Lake. This is a good omen – like the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

32616546918_6d7b79a008_b.jpg

I woke before the alarm sounded, and climbed down the ladder to start the morning fire and boil the tea water. The temperature outside was -20 C (-4 F). Sleeping out on the lake would have been chilly, but not overly uncomfortable. During breakfast, the CBC news indicated that a warming trend was coming up from the south on the strong southeast winds that had been blowing constantly for the past 24 hours. Everything seems to be falling into place. This will be a fantastic trip.

Even though we weren’t taking the wall tent or wood stove, we still needed a lot of gear, including food, water, summer tent, sleeping bags, spare clothes for travelling, clothes for town, propane stove, propane cylinders, wool blankets, cameras, tripod, toiletries, and of course, our mail. I even packed the heavy ice chisel, just in case we couldn’t find enough snow to melt for drinking water and for cooking. We piled our snowshoes on top of the load, and were ready to head out.

We lowered the sled and toboggan by rope down the hill below the storage cabin, and stood on the ice at 8:30 in beautiful conditions. The morning had turned calm and warm, at -16 C (+3 F), a very good temperature for dragging heavy loads. We had decided not to wear our mukluks, as we were worried that they might not stand up to the strain, particularly because we would be dragging on ice, packed hard by the ski-doos, as opposed to dragging on soft snow. Instead, we wore our very heavy Sorels. They seemed huge, but they should provide very good traction, and would provide excellent ankle support, much like hiking boots.

And so we were off to town! We leaned into our towlines, and reached the Tent Camp on the Big Island in only one hour and 40 minutes. A ski-doo was parked outside one of the wall tents, whose flap was tied shut.

We called out “Hello, is anyone there?”

“Just a minute,” came the answer.

The flap opened, and a young native man, about 30 years old, peered out at us. We had apparently disturbed his sleep.

“I’m Mike, and this is my wife Kathleen. We’ve been staying at North End (which is what Bern called the Outpost), and we’re on our way to town. Should be good travelling conditions today.”

“Yeah, should be pretty good.”

We had obviously surprised him. He certainly hadn’t been expecting company or visitors. Although he was friendly, he didn’t invite us in for tea – a bit disappointing. It would have been nice to chat with our new neighbour, and to have an indoor tea break.

44672236640_5c66b8fd77_b.jpg

We said goodbye, and let our loads slide down the brow of the island, and stood before the great expanse of Colville Lake. It was like descending the east slope of the Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta to stare across the infinite Canadian Prairie. Only 34 km (21 miles) to go. We rested and snacked at the edge of the ice, and could feel the southeast wind rising from beyond the lake. Time to get going again. So far we have averaged more than three km/hr (1.8 miles/hr), and I still felt very strong. I began to think that we might even reach town today. Even if we didn’t camp on the lake, I could still get a picture of Kathleen having dinner on the ice, seated in her lawn chair.

We stopped for lunch just under two hours later. We were still travelling at a good rate, and likely covered another 6 km (3.7 miles). Only 28 km (17 miles) to go. We didn’t feel tired yet. We leaned into our towlines and continued heading south, into a wind that was becoming increasingly stronger.

Over the next three hours we stopped to rest four times. We were beginning to tire, but were still moving at a good pace. We had probably covered 22 km (13.5 miles), leaving only 18 km 11.5 miles) to town. Over half way there. We were beginning to have problems, though. The southeast wind had been building strength all afternoon. At our third rest stop, Kathleen pulled her parka out of its stuff sack, which the wind immediately ripped from her hands, and sent it sliding across the ice. We gave chase, but the stuff sack picked up speed, eventually took flight, and finally sailed away into the sunshine, far across the lake. Darnn. Well, we always carry spare stuff sacks, but I hate to lose equipment because of inattention or carelessness.

We again headed up the ski-doo trail. The wind blew directly into our faces, and Kathleen was having difficulty controlling her toboggan, which was repeatedly blown off course by the strong gusts. Instead of sliding easily over packed snow along the ski-doo trail, we were now often dragging laboriously through and over deep drifts of snow flying in from the south. This was not going nearly so well.

We continued to struggle forward, hoping the wind would leave us alone. By 6:45 after 10 hours on the trail, we had finally had enough. We didn’t feel like stopping to put up a tent in the wind, but we were quite tired, and needed to rest and to replenish our energy with a good meal. We stepped out of our towlines, and began to unload the sled and toboggan.

Kathleen stood up and said, “Oh no, Michael, I think I’ve lost my Watson gloves!”

“Are you sure? How could that be? Weren’t you wearing them?”

“No, my hands were too hot. I was just wearing my knitted gloves. I had my Watson gloves pinned to my sash. The pin must have come lose. They’re gone.”
This was bad news. The Watson ‘gloves’ were, in fact, supple gauntlets, lined with thinsulate, that we had purchased from the Watson Glove Company in Vancouver. They were actually mitts, and were very warm and durable. We wore them constantly, except when working with our hands, or when we were too warm. Kathleen was wearing her ‘spare’ gauntlets, but they were not nearly as warm as the Watson gloves. We needed the Watson gloves in cold weather.

“When’s the last time you saw them, Kathleen? Are you sure you didn’t drop them just now around camp?

“No, they’re not here. I don’t know for sure when I had them last. I might have put them on while we were resting at our last stop.”

“I’ll go back and look for them. They must be just right along the ski-doo trail.”

“Don’t go too far. The storm’s starting to really pick up.”

“I won’t. I’ll help you get the tent set up, and then I’ll go back along the trail.”

We piled our sled, toboggan and gear in a semi-circle, and set up the tent in the lee. We pounded the tent stakes into the ice, and they seemed to be holding against the wind. I wish this wind would leave us alone.

46489138431_47d59b317d_b.jpg

“OK, Kathleen, I’m gonna go look for the Watson gloves. I won’t be gone too long. I’ll go back along the ski-doo trail at most 15 minutes, so I’ll be back in no more than 30 minutes.”

“You don’t need to go. I have spare gauntlets.”

“But your Watson gloves are better. You need them.”

I headed back up the trail, pushed along by the relentless wind. Five minutes and still no gloves. I hurried along as fast as I could. Ten minutes and still no gloves. The snow was now very thick and blowing hard across the surface of the lake. I turned to look back. Only an hour ago, we could see completely across the lake. Now I could see nothing but snow, which was settling into and filling the ski-doo trail. What the heck’s the matter with me? What am I doing out here in a blizzard? I can’t see the trail. I can’t see the shore. I could easily become too disoriented to find Kathleen and our camp. I gotta get back.

I hurried back, reminding myself to remain calm. Only stretches of the ski-doo trail remained, but they were enough for me to find my way, and I eventually saw the tent appear in the snowy gloom. I was happy, and somewhat fortunate, that my foolishness hadn’t been more costly.

Kathleen sat hunched over the propane stove, and looked up as I came into camp, which she had completely organized in my absence. She had already inflated the thermarest mattresses and laid out the sleeping bags in the tent. She had already melted snow for water, and was now ready to spoon out some stir-fried caribou for dinner. She looked completely content and in control, all alone, out on the ice, in the middle of the lake, with the wind and the snow blasting around her. She’s quite a woman and a true adventurer. I’m very lucky to have her as my wife.

“I didn’t find the gloves, Kathleen.”

“That’s OK. I don’t have to have them. I have spare gauntlets, and it’s not cold anyway. The temperature is plus three degrees (37 F)”

The warm temperature was a mixed blessing, as all our clothing became instantly wet when the wind-driven snow melted. We quickly ate our dinner and crawled into the tent, feeling exhausted and worried. I wish the wind would leave us alone.

The wind did not grant my wish, but continued to assault our little tent. At 10:15 pm we peered out through the vestibule to a scene of driving, blinding white, which surrounded our exposed position. All of our gear had been buried beneath snow. We stepped outside to urinate, and could barely stand up. By midnight I truly feared for the stability of the tent, which shuddered, and bowed inward with increasingly strong blasts of unrelenting wind that drove snow through the nylon fly and walls into our small, vulnerable haven. Every few minutes I had to kick away the snow that piled up against the tent door, which sagged heavily beneath the weight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTERMISSION (Gotta go walk the dog.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
What Mem said. Can't wait to find out if you made it through alive!

Alan

I can't believe we have over 900 members here and not one is willing to go on over to Mike and Kath's to walk their dog. Tick tock people.
Rover won't walk himself ya know.

Last edited:
Thanks Mem. Our dog Shadow enjoyed his walk. And, as you might suspect, Alan, we did survive, although our travails were not over. And you are right, Doug, our adventure still includes four weeks down the Anderson River. And Odyssey, there is no one near Preeceville. We are very isolated. No one to come over to help us with our dog.

We have walked the dog. Had a pre-supper glass of wine. Had supper. Had more wine. Will try to post again tomorrow. Although we have to go to town (Preeceville, not Colville.) We are out of wine!

Back