• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Our 2016 Family BWCA trip from Entry Point 14 Little Indian Sioux

Reaction score
The BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) is the kind of magical place that casts a spell over visitors, drawing them back. Our family first visited the BWCA three years ago. We now return each year for our fix of loons, lakes, and love of the wilderness. Each year we add a day or two, and leave feeling that we could have used a bit more time.

DSC07183.JPG
Little Beartrack Lake​
On this trip we put on more miles than our previous trips. We worked hard to get further from the entry point, and were rewarded with some spectacular views and having a few lakes all to ourselves midweek.

DSC07141.JPG

Little Indian Sioux River​
We learned our family is capable of doing more than we thought, and we also learned we over-packed the food barrel and made a plan to do better next year. The trip was good for our family. I couldn't have asked for better, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask for more.
DSC07261.JPG

Loon Lake​

If you'd like to read more trip details and check out more photos you can catch some details at http://mamasbasecamp.blogspot.com/2016/09/boundary-waters-2016-little-indian.html

Nothing better! I currently on my last night of a short trip laying in my hammock watching the lightning waiting for the rain to roll in. Looking forward to reading you whole trip log when I get home.

Thanks, can't wait to read report. On my list to go there next year. Great way to start the work week, me day dreaming about another trip! Hmm, and only app 185 more school days until next summer vacation!

Great trip report Mama! I've done that same route and a variation with my dog (Spring and Fall). Little Beartrack is one of my favorite camping spots.

Cheers,

Barry

Great report and pics !
​ Tried to find entry date, guessing before school started in the Fall ?
Looking for a Fall solo trip, and wondering about water levels.
Jim

Got home from my trip last night and had a chance to check out your full report today, great report and great pics - thanks. I need to get a report put together on my trip. Interesting that your found so much trash on your trip, that is too bad. We commented on our trip how few times any of the 4 of us have fund much trash left behind and that would include 150+ trips I have taken n the BWCA.

Great report and pics !
​ Tried to find entry date, guessing before school started in the Fall ?
Looking for a Fall solo trip, and wondering about water levels.
Jim

Hi Jim & All, Glad to meet a few others who love the BWCA as much as we do! The entry date was August 21st. Last year mid August the water levels seemed pretty low, no signs of the water being "low" this year. But of course this is just subjective observation. Sorry I don't have anything quantitative on water levels for you. Maybe someone else on the forum can comment with something more precise? Mama

Hi Jim & All, Glad to meet a few others who love the BWCA as much as we do! The entry date was August 21st. Last year mid August the water levels seemed pretty low, no signs of the water being "low" this year. But of course this is just subjective observation. Sorry I don't have anything quantitative on water levels for you. Maybe someone else on the forum can comment with something more precise? Mama

Based on about 75 times entering at Lake One over the last 50 years I would say the water there was pretty low. I have seen it lower but only once or twice. That only means though that the water in the Kawishiwi river drainage is low and may not apply to other parts of the BWCA. I have on the same trip been in lakes that were low and a couple of portages later they weren't so much, depends on where the water comes and goes and how much rain may have fallen in an area. Fall tends to see lower water too.

Great report! Looks like the site on Little Beartrack has been cleaned up quite a bit; had lunch there several yrs ago, and there was barely enough room for that! The space between your tent and fire grate, I think was full of toppled trees. But I remember the view from that site being really spectacular. Enjoyed your photots.

Back