• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Newbie Solo Paddler

Reaction score
Hi! As the title states, I am a solo canoe newbie. I just (last Thursday) purchased a new Northstar Northwind Solo, and haven’t had it on the water yet. It’s snowing.

Right after college, 30+ years ago, I did some tandem canoe racing for a year or so, when I moved to a tiny town in Northern Wisconsin. I had a coworker looking for a partner, so we’d train at lunchtime or after work, and race on the weekends. Since that time I have only canoed a few times, including one trip to the Boundary Waters with friends. More recently, we got into kayaking, but have found that our now almost 2 year old German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd mix is a little too rowdy and a little too big to ride in Hubby’s kayak, and definitely does not fit in mine. So I started thinking about canoeing as a better option, solo (because said husband doesn’t appreciate being hupped from the stern), and then something super light, for when I’m by myself, ……. I ended up going with Blacklite, aluminum trim.

We live in the UP of Michigan, and are both retired. Lots of water of various types around here, but will likely stay off Lake Superior with this boat. Small lakes, rivers, etc. Also, my family has a cabin downstate on the Au Sable River, so I will use this boat there quite a bit. Sometimes with the dog, sometimes alone. No immediate plans for real tripping, but we shall see where this all goes.

I’ve been lurking here for months, learning lots of good stuff! I hesitated to join, just because a) I didn’t even have a canoe, and b) I’m not sure if I will do any real tripping or not. But I have questions!!! One of which I’ll be posting shortly.

Thanks!
Jan

Welcome! I spent several years just in a tandem but was intrigued by the solo idea, so rented one and set off for 5 day trek in the Q. Loved it. Since acquired a second solo. Have only daytripped past year but definitely plan to overnight again.

Welcome to the joy of solo paddling. Bit of a learning curve, but completely worth the effort to endure. Welcome to the site.

I’ve been lurking here for months, learning lots of good stuff! I hesitated to join, just because a) I didn’t even have a canoe, and b) I’m not sure if I will do any real tripping or not. But I have questions!!!

Jan, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Emerging from lurkerdom, even for a canoe newbie, is always of interest to established members as well as to the many other lurkers we have. If you write and post pictures about your new canoe adventures, successes, mistakes, joys and difficulties, you will providing educational benefit to some, entertainment to others, and nostalgia for some of us who are too old to trip much anymore. Perhaps you also will discover that you are one of the persons who enjoys some in-depth exchanges—more so than is possible on social media—with a friendly community of like minded folks.

As a simple example, within a year you will be someone with personal experience with a Northstar Northwind Solo, who can then give some guidance to some other person who is struggling with a decision about that particular canoe. Many of our most active members are older and not likely to be buying any new canoes. So, an infusion of new members, with new canoes, and new experiences can only enhance, preserve and continue our canoe community for future generations.

That was all sort of high-falutin' (though I believe it all), so now go out and enjoy your new toy when Mother Nature warms UP a bit!

Welcome Jan, we really like visiting the UP. This is a great place to discuss and learn about canoeing. I personally have a Northstar Trillium pack canoe in Blacklite with E6 trim.

Welcome. Solo canoeing is great. I wish for you lots of adventures.

Welcome to the campfire, pull up a stump.
I bought solo canoe last fall so I expect to do some solo paddling this summer.
Jim

Welcome! I'm also a long-time paddler, who after 5 yrs of mostly soloing a tandem with a 65lb mutt, finally broke down and got a Northstar Phoenix last fall. Been out in it a dozen times or so (2-3x with the dog) and I'm loving the performance, especially in wind. But, I did go in tue drink once while getting in. It was a moment of lazy inattention! The solo learning curve is fun - enjoy that new boat and it's freedom (especially freedom from the pain of lifting a heavier boat!)

Back