• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

One Moving Part: The Forest Service Ax Manual.

As someone who has been a lifetime user of the axe, I think this is a valuable resource. Thanks for posting. My current favorite axe is the Grandfors Bruk Sandinavian forest axe, to which I have added four inches to the handle & a bigger knob. This axe was made for soft woods of the northern forest, the only hardwood around me is white birch, alder, aspen, cottonwood and willow. None of these are very hard.

Kayak Ken - Thanks for posting that link. I've seen it before but had lost track of it. I have two new shelter caretakers I'm working with now and they are interested in learning how to properly use a forester's axe for some of the field work they'll be doing. I'm going to forward the link to them as I think it would be valuable for their education. I'm going to look it over again myself because it never hurts to refresh your knowledge.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

My current favorite axe is the Grandfors Bruk Sandinavian forest axe, to which I have added four inches to the handle & a bigger knob.

I used to have one of those. I bet it's nice with a different handle. Only thing I didn't like was that the handle felt like too much of an oval to me and when chopping hard the tip of the oval put a lot of pressure on the inside of my fingers. Not like a blister, more like a bruise. Always meant to re-handle it but found someone who wanted it more than I did instead.

Alan

Back