• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Old Town Sarnac 15.4 Frontiersman

G

I recently bought an Old Town square back poly canoe that has 3 molded in seats. There are no thwarts or yoke. It's 118 lbs and 44 inches wide. Is there a way to add a carrying yoke?

Thanks, Dan...

Are you sure you want to put this up on your shoulders? How about using a cart? I'm not sure if any yokes can span 44". With 3 seats, it sounds like you've got lots of room for outings with the kids/grandkids.

Ah......Dan, I'm having a mental vision of gangs of egyptian laborers pulling those huge blocks of stone to the pyramids. There may well be a way to attach a yoke but who would you find to put under it?
Seriously, as we age we really need to be careful not to damage ourselves (spine, joints etc.) and trying to carry such a load looks like a recipe for disaster. I think the best plan would be to get some kind of cart made for boats and use that. I'd be sure to pick a sturdy one at that!
Maybe what might help would be if you could look at several canoe manufacturer web sites and see what canoes for camping now look like?

Best Wishes, Rob

I just realized danr1853 is from Minnesota... everyone I ever met from that state was about 7', 300lbs, so maybe he can portage that beast, even at age 60. :D

seriously, I'd look at getting a portage cart.

I’d just assumed you were bigger, stronger, younger and handsomer than me. Everyone else is. I’ve strained my back a number of times by moving awkwardly, but rarely from heavy lifting. Try this : http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddl...18-932/wheeleez-tuff-tire-canoekayak-cart.jsp

Like Oldie says, you could probably make one yourself. I’d also suggest a team effort when you wrestle this QE2 to and from the water. I hope you fill this boat with memories Dan; and kids, and fish…
Take care.
Brad

Dan, I'm think'n that maybe a good use for this craft would be as a fishing boat and when you needed to move it using a cart. For much of what the folks here do involves portages of various distances where such a load would be beyond normal human endurance. More over, often carts are not allowed on the trails, I'm not sure of all the reasoning behind that. Maybe the trails are just too poor for wheels.

I'm sorry one of your first posts is getting so much discouraging response but none of us want to see a nice guy get hurt. Check out the trip reports and notice the photos of the canoes used; this is one of those cases where form follows function.

Best Wishes, Rob

There is no such thing as a discouraging response. Only practical advice from folks who have more experience than I do. I have a couple of carts that we use to tow our kayaks behind a bicycle. No doubt it would be much easier to use that when transporting the canoe from my car to the lake shore. I love the description of the QE2. It's kinda true.

Hmmm, perhaps I've bitten off more than I can chew. 118 lbs is alot, especially considering the massive size of the thing. Well thanks for all the input, that's why I posted in the first place.

Dan...

Back