• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Old Town Penobscot 15

Reaction score
I picked up an Old Town Penobscot 15 solo canoe but there doesn't seen to be a lot of info on this boat other than that Old Town made a limited production of these canoes in the late 90's. Anyone have anything on it?

There aren't many of them around, even up here where Old Town boats are the state flower. A couple of the local canoe racers have them, and they seem to do well. I believe the original outfitting is two slim thwarts and a sliding wooden cane seat. I was actually looking for one of those (without success) the summer I bought my royalex Wilderness. Congrats on scoring one!

I owned a 15' Penobscot some years ago. From old photos, I see its first trip was in 1995, so it must have been available by the mid-90s. Mine was in Royalite with aluminum gunnels. It listed at 49 lbs, max beam 29", a fairly deep boat at 14" midships. It would carry a good load. It cruised well, and fairly quickly, but turned not so quickly. I thought my friend's 16' Penobscot was more manoeuvrable, since being beamier its stems would lift more when it was leaned. Initial stability was a little twitchy empty, but it firmed up when loaded. No sign of oil canning, empty or loaded. I think they also made a composite version, at 15'6" (with sharper stems) called the Northern Light, but I never saw one of those.

As goonstroke commented, it came equipped with a sliding seat/yoke combination. The back crosspiece of the seat was shaped like a yoke. To portage, the seat was slid all the way forward, and the canoe portaged stern first. I didn't find this useful - the seat frame interfered with carrying a pack with the canoe, and the yoke sat deeper in the boat than a standard yoke supported on the gunnels. I replaced it with a conventional seat and yoke.

That Penobscot served me well on a number of 2 week plus northern trips. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours.

-wjmc

I've seen one or two come up for sale around the Twin Cities in the last few years. I had this thread bookmarked, which I presume you've already found:

Back