• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Old Town Pack

Reaction score
My bank account is still hurting from the Wenonah I picked up last month. But my Craigslist alert told me a canoe of interest was for sale in my area, so I high tailed it over to the other end of town to find what was a museum quality Old Town Pack for $400.

Close inspection revealed that the boat had been used likely only once, and on flat water without any rocks to speak of. Canoeist likely entered and exited the boat wet as it doesn't even look like it'd been dragged on or off the shore. The seller told me a story of how he'd bought this for his son back in the 90's as a gift. The son never got around to picking it up, and kept procrastinating. Life went on, Dad wanted the boat out of his garden shed... and so now it's in mine.

Truly the only thing "wrong" with it is that the seat lacing hadn't been maintained, so I'm quite sure it would readily cave in the first time anyone put their butt on it.

There's no more room in the shed so the Old Town Next and the Dagger Axis 12.0 will be going up for sale soon.

I picked this boat up primarily for my kids to have something small and lightweight to bring along if they want to go paddling with me on a day trip. We're coming to the time of year here in the Carolinas where the daytime temperatures climb down from the 80's and 90's to something far more pleasant and conducive to hanging around all day on and near the water.

Attachments

• photo7807.jpg
    photo7807.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 1
Your pack looks like it has the rear set seat some have. I have relocated 2 pack seats further forward which increased stability and paddling ease. this requires a new longer seat or a modification to widen the original. I don't know why they put it so far back. One owner was going to sell theirs because they dumped a lot.

I was thinking about it... I have a new-in-box kneeling thwart from Ed's Canoe that I recently procured for my OT Camper 16. I'm thinking instead of removing the seat entirely from the Pack, replacing it with the kneeling thwart further forward, and noodling on some sort of removable floor-level seating where I can strap the backrest to the kneeling thwart if I'm not feeling like kneeling or just need to change things up.

I'm not going after it. If anyone else is thinking of grabbing it, please go for it.

REALLY? Are you 100% confident you will be able to live with the decision to pass on this opportunity? I recollect you expressing remorse over missed opportunities of your youth and you are ready to look this opportunity in the eye today and pass?

We are to learn the lessons of our past so that we can avoid repeating them.

Good Luck sleeping soundly tonight. (tongue in cheek emoji here)

Hahaha well while I was off spending $$ I didn't have on a boat I didn't need, my daughter was taking my dog to a dog show. And he did well. And he got invited to an out of town dog show, which is going to cost me as much as this Old Town Pack, maybe more, so something had to give.

My scruffy little canoe buddy cleans up well. Who knew?

l70Atfr.jpg

Nice pooch! I like my pack. I put in a new seat about 6" forward and 2" lower on mine. It's great on small twisty water. Nice find!

That sounds like a good setup. I was looking at it last night with my daughter. I think the original plan is good, installing the kneeling thwart in the Camper. Once the broken seat is mitigated, I'll relocate it. Daughter pointed out that having some foot braces installed would be appreciated. So add that to the project list, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to rethink the kneeling thwart in the Camper. The lack of secondary stability in that boat makes soloing from that position problematic. I found it easier to just turn the boat around to paddle it from the bow seat and put ballast in the other end to trim it. Save the kneeling thwart for something more "Omer-friendly".

Last edited:
PACK canoe... 12' long, solo small water canoe
except it's not really. It's not a pack canoe designed for sit on the floor double blading

There are two boats in the conversation. We all know the Camper and the Pack aren't the same.
Not worth twisted britches

Back