• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Old Town Next?

If I were just starting out on a budget I would consider an Next and find a handy man.

Well, rather than disparage poly-boats, I believe if it gets folks out on the water and enjoying nature all the better. For the vast majority of us that can ill afford to bash our $3000 boats against the rocks, they also serve as sacrificial lambs. I agree about PB boats, their laminates and infusion process is superb, Hemlock cannot produce as stiff a hull without additional weight hand-laminating. The Kestrel had too much flex for my tastes. Were you at WPSCA this year?

No I was in a wheel chair. Awaiting joint replacement. WPASCR is a great event but for me it involves 16 hours of driving one way and for a two day event four days on the road does not make sense anymore. Maybe next year if I can combine it with going on a cross country trip

My disparagement of poly boats comes from my point of view. I was not born a boat snob. I am nearly 75 and been canoeing for almost 60 years. I have owned some 50 boats and yes some poly. Rock bashing is not a fond hobby of mine but Whitesell canoes are very good at whitewater. They are not plastic.

Last edited:
No I was in a wheel chair. Awaiting joint replacement. WPASCR is a great event but for me it involves 16 hours of driving one way and for a two day event four days on the road does not make sense anymore. Maybe next year if I can combine it with going on a cross country trip

My disparagement of poly boats comes from my point of view. I was not born a boat snob. I am nearly 75 and been canoeing for almost 60 years. I have owned some 50 boats and yes some poly. Rock bashing is not a fond hobby of mine but Whitesell canoes are very good at whitewater. They are not plastic.

Oh my God, you are Kayamedic on P-Net!

Last thoughts on the Next: Might keep it another year, but don't want to wear out the screws switching seats back and forth. Came up with a compromise, leaving the bulky seat sliders in place and mounting a conventional seat at a raised height on top of the rails. Can now switch back and forth under a minute. I can go fishing with the stock Barcolounger seat (maybe I can get a tow out) or take a lengthy paddle with the high conventional seat (and actually complete a paddle stroke without interference). I really do like the little tub, so much more responsive when outfitted this way (but it will never replace my Vagabond!) SAM_0774.JPG

Mike, please go back to my original post and pic, as that is exactly what I did
I only needed the Next for one trip. Set up that way, it was a great little canoe and saved my Vagabond from bruises.

Matt, my bad, with two Next owners in the thread I forgot who did what. That is exactly how I would retrofit a Next, although with the foot brace a low-rise flexible back band is awfully comfortable and core-muscle efficient, especially using a double blade with that hull length-to-water line ratio.

Last thoughts on the Next: Might keep it another year, but don't want to wear out the screws switching seats back and forth. Came up with a compromise, leaving the bulky seat sliders in place and mounting a conventional seat at a raised height on top of the rails. Can now switch back and forth under a minute. I can go fishing with the stock Barcolounger seat (maybe I can get a tow out) or take a lengthy paddle with the high conventional seat (and actually complete a paddle stroke without interference). I really do like the little tub, so much more responsive when outfitted this way (but it will never replace my Vagabond!)

I like it. The OT Pack never “replaced” any of our other canoes, but it had its place.

The short OT canoes made wonderful solo sport canoes. I had an OT Pack for nearly 30 years. In the late 80’s it was goofily my tripping canoe. Ah, my long ago light-weight years. Coming from a backpacking perspective, holy cow, I can carry a chair. And some beer. Life is great.

It later iterations that Pack was a small waters day boat, a loaner, a kid canoe and finally an outstanding duckhunting canoe for sneak boating little rivers or dragging across the marsh to hunt pothole ponds over a load of decoys.

For hunting purposes that Pack had a DIY camo cover with raised front cowling, brush “tee bar” on the bow (T-shaped piece of wood drilled with holes to hold pin oak branches or marsh grass) and a gun rest. Mine was OT green; orange or blue maybe not as easily hidden. Every DRN guy who saw it was intrigued, and I shot a lot of ducks out of that little boat.

With some simple angler outfitting the Next would shine as a solo fishing canoe.

I was impressed with this simple, removable fishing platform several friends were using, both casting and trolling.

PA040044 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Plastic cutting board and four bolts/wing nuts. The “trick” as I understand it is to make the top rod holder slot longer than the bottom slot, so the rod is held out angled sideways for trolling, and to angle cut the front edge so the reel foot and stem are held securely.

Couple little holes for tools and accessories, etc. I’d probably glue down a little piece of scrap minicel or exercise flooring as a hook or lure holder.

If I still hunted, or fished, I would have hung onto the Pack; it fit the small, stable, solo sport canoe niche better than any other canoe in the fleet. I loved that little Pack, and got more than my money’s worth out of it. One of my friends uses it as his sport canoe today, 31 years old and still going strong.

Maiden voyage of my OT Next TR today, Ed’s cane bucket seat, 2 inch drops, Wenonah footbrace, 54 pounds. Very similar performance to my old MR Serenade TR (except the Next doesn’t oilcan!) Single purpose boat to float the muddy Genesee River, NY: thick skinned to take a beating, stiff hull to cross gravel bars and be dragged up muddy banks, paddles well with a single blade, able to be transported redneck style (pickup bed, so 13‘ max), paddled with a high seat to enable frequent step outs to clear gravel and sand bars, and relatively cheap. Did pretty well in open water, too.

Hmmm, I don’t think you need my help deciding to keep the niche-filling Next.

Modern boats keep getting shorter and wider. They paddle like crap.
Kayaks are most popular because they require little skill with a kayak paddle.

Modern boats keep getting shorter and wider. They paddle like crap.

Not sure I agree with your statement. The original Merrimack, in 1954, and still the most popular model is the 13' Osprey with a 39" beam. Yes it paddles like crap but they've been around a long time. All many folks care about is stability.

It's not just stability. I like a short canoe I can take on small rivers and creeks. A 39 inch wide canoe like my Fisherman is nice to poll as well. Going to try poling on the Kinni on Sunday.

Last edited:
Those small poly canoes may not be something Nessmuk is going to schlep all over the ADKs, but they're a good alternative to the heavy battleship sit on top fishing Kayaks. Those things are like ~80 lbs for a 12 foot boat, basic equipment. Some of the pedal drive jobs are 120lbs! Hope the truck has a cherry picker.

I did a class 2 solo trip 2 weeks ago in my next. Loaded for a weekend with both a 60 and 30 liter barrel with cold weather gear. I put my baler to good use but never swamped! Part of the fun is knowing what i can do after listening to naysayers, lol

Good on ya Big Al.

While I would be hard pressed to find room for both a 30L and 60L barrel in my soloized big-boy tandems unless I consolidated some gear and took out some portage packs, I have enduringly fond memories of tripping in an Old Town Pack, including some week long trips in wild-ish places.

I had an OT Pack for nearly 30 years. In the late 80’s it was goofily my tripping canoe. Ah, my long ago light-weight years. Coming from a backpacking perspective, holy cow, I can carry a chair. And some beer. Life is great.

I twice took the Pack down Boquillas Canyon on week long trips, always stopping for a few days at the same sandy beach spot alongside a minor rapid. Had a blast running and rerunning the empty Pack through that little Class II, over and over, trying different things; sitting and kneeling and taking different lines, with frequent swims.

I would not take that little canoe there today, but I’m glad I did then.

I would expect a 30 l and 60 l barrel to fit in any solo.. Does in mine! My naysayer POV Is that I do carry the canoe on these things called pawtaaaaaahges. And that seat. Were I to live in river country all would be different.

Good to hear that, Al.

I will admit that I came close to buying a used NEXT to have around as a loaner. I think OT's claims about "the future of paddling" are pretty presumptuous, but for those on a limited budget with a scarce supply of great used solos (and ability to deal with the weight), that little boat holds a lot of promise.

As a correction to a previous recent post, the Next is 13', not 11' - which puts it far more into useful territory than the flood of common rec kayaks we see. I'd ditch the seat for something more useful, but that's about it.

I did end up selling my Next last fall, including the conventional hung seat option. The Next was originally going to be offered as the 'Pack Element' in 2014 in both Poly and Royalex (at 46 pounds), but no doubt OT realized that Royalex would be no more. What a pity, as removing the seat assembly might have brought her down to a more acceptable weight.

Beating the dead horse one last time...The seat issue must be for people using a single blade paddle. I was out all weekend and intentionally tired to make the back rest be a problem for me and could not do it. I was using a long kayak paddle. The seat is so ridiculously comfortable that I just can't find a problem. I really tired to find a problem with the seat. I broke my paddle in half and tried to paddle as a single. Even then, I had to tap the blade on stern point and turn un-naturally before my shoulders blade hit the seat rest. When I sit in my white water kayak for 1 hour my legs go to sleep and I get uncomfortable. The Next seat is like a high quality lawn chair. I was in it for 14 hours over 3 days and never was uncomfortable. I'd be curious how many people have actually tried one and then what kind of paddle they used. The seating position is low making more stable but not good for single blades. Most of the comments I hear are apples to oranges. It is not like a backrest mounted on a traditional canoe bench

I confess that my issue with the seat and a kayak paddle is I have poor form, bringing the paddles behind me slightly with each stroke. With my arm length, I hit the top corners of the seat. Single blading with the stock seat, my normal body rotation with a J-stroke did the same thing. The last time I had it out with the stock seat, I sat off center and was able to list the hull enough to clear the seat back. Its all about the 'fit' I guess, but no argument about comfort; I could sleep in that seat all day!

I confess that my issue with the seat and a kayak paddle is I have poor form, bringing the paddles behind me slightly with each stroke. With my arm length, I hit the top corners of the seat. Single blading with the stock seat, my normal body rotation with a J-stroke did the same thing. The last time I had it out with the stock seat, I sat off center and was able to list the hull enough to clear the seat back. Its all about the 'fit' I guess, but no argument about comfort; I could sleep in that seat all day!

So it fits the bill for Ozark Floaters? Nothing wrong with them. The first time I paddled the Buffalo the water was high and pushy and I hooked up with three others from Canadian Canoe Routes. One broke and ankle at Grey Rocks and the rest pulled out. I continued alone and asked to join the Cambridge Paddlers from Southwestern Ontario. They told me very firmly they were Paddlers Not Floaters.

Back