• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

ohio canoe trips

Reaction score
hi everybody I'm new to this site and canoeing
I'm from the cleveland area
I'm looking for trip ideas in ohio?

Hey
welcome I
Sorry I tried responding from my phone and it did not work out to well. Anyway I have not tripped on any rivers in your end of the state but the link I posted below takes you to the state ODNR website where you will find a map showing all of the state and national scenic rivers in Ohio. There are quite a few in your corner of Ohio. drop down below the map to a drop down bar and select a river you are interested in and it will take you to an informational page on the river that includes a downloadable map of the river. I download the maps to my phone. there is also information on liveries and campgrounds along the river. the maps show access points hazards and river mileage. It is a good start.

Mike

Last edited:
The upper Cuyahoga out of Eldon Russell Park south of Burton has some nice paddling. The liveries put in there and paddle downriver to Hiram. It can get a bit crowded on the weekend but if you time it right the crowds can be avoided. The nicer stretch to my mind is paddling upriver from Eldon Russell. Check the water level at Hiram Rapids (USGS 04202000 Cuyahoga River at Hiram Rapids OH). My experience is that if the gauge height is around 2.15' or better you should be able to get over most of the sweeps. As you get closer to Burton the river is more isolated and the wildlife pretty good- for Ohio at least... Just a day trip but close to Cleveland.

Rob

I live in ohio. No REAL tripping other than day trips in treated sewage. Seriously, every Ohio stream has sewage plants every 8-10 miles. No natural lakes either.
Several years ago I spent a truly awful 3 years near Columbus with my then young wife. There were few canoeing opportunities that were at all worthwhile. A couple of reservoirs on the north side of the city were overrun with motorboats and jet skis, as was Buckeye Lake to the east. Those "boaters" seemed to like nothing better than to make large wakes around canoes (purposeful or not). We tried the Miami River, (where the places where we tried were rocky and shallow) which is not well suited to flat water paddlers who care about their canoe.

Then we tried to go to some of the parks toward the KY border, which were all reclaimed coal strip mine streams and ponds. Ugly landscape. Nothing but thick green nasty water. Turns out you couldn't/can't legally primitive camp anywhere in OH, like you can in the northeast woodlands. All camping had to be done at pay campgrounds. I couldn't wait to get back to my beloved Adirondack waters where i grew up with clean wilderness freedom.

Last edited:
I'm from Avon and we live in a less than scenic part of the state. I've been paddling all the waters around for quite a while. Probably the most scenic paddle is the Vermillion River race when it starts at Shophle Gardens in Lorain County off of Route 113.. I find the Grand River is sortof boring unless you can paddle at just the right time where water is available in the upper reaches. You really can't paddle the Rocky unless you want to go from the Emerald Necklace Marina to the lake. The Black River(although getting better each year is a sewer) is also pretty much industrial and not at all scenic. Even the Huron River ain't great, but at least you can find eagle's nests.. I really haven't tried the Cuyahoga in the Nat. park area as to me it's very water dependant throughtout the year. Seems that we have to drive abit......

I live near the Little Miami River (National Scenic River) and two state park lakes. Sewage plants and traffic are so bad I seldom paddle anymore beyond my annual trips to MN or Canada. Septic systems and toxic runoff periodically close the lakes to swimming and eating fish. Overpopulation will only get worse. Enjoy undeveloped streams while you can.

Also a good reason to protect places like BWCA and provicial parks from development, mining and overuse.

Last edited:
Others here might have more info on the Allegheny Nat'l Forest but I think the best tripping opportunity would be the Allegheny river itself (Kinzua lake sees a lot of powerboats). Overnight camping is permitted on any public islands (some are privately owned so check the maps) and the upper section has a lot of them. You will need PFBC launch permits if you use launches maintained by the state (they're cheap and available at Walmart if you want to be safe from the fish cops). Here's a link that should help.

https://pfbc.pa.gov/watertrails/alleg/trailguide.htm#con2

Maps are here: https://pfbc.pa.gov/WaterTrail.htm

If you go, check outflow from Kinzua Dam (Army Corps). Most islands aren't much above the water and the flow is pretty hairy above 6000 cfs

I used to live in the Columbus area, and day trips were mainly the only way to paddle within close areas. Myself and a few people did an overnight on the Scioto, I think Lockbourne to Circleville. It was several years ago, and it was something like 30 miles?? Does that sound right?…. Anyways. I remember it being very dirty the whole way, homes with garbage in the back yard, tons of toys and chairs alone the shoreline. We chose a small peninsula (from the map) and made that camp, amd it was a pretty good spot. At one point there were army helicopters flying over us. Cool at first, then very annoying. We had fun, but I can’t say that I’d do it again.
I can’t say I’m much help, all of my paddling in Ohio was river surfing or whitewater, or we traveled over to WV and PA. Sorry, best of luck to you.

Back