• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Northwoods paddle

Reaction score
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I received my S&T Northwoods paddles about a month and am seriously impressed. 66 inches long and made from Sasafrass.

Sometime in the early Spring I found myself utilizing the Northwoods stroke without knowing what it was or really why I was doing it. After some research I decided to try a dedicated Northwoods paddle. I'm glad I did. There was definitely a learning curve,but lt worth the effort as this has become my main paddle. There is always something new to learn with this hobby of ours.

Very nice. I have one from Alexandra Conover ( now Bennett). It is also 66 inches long.
Curiously my favorite NW paddle is a short shafted Algonquin Guide Paddle with a variable grip from Turtle Paddles ( now gone) The blade is 33 inches long and 4 inches wide and the shaft 26 inches long.

The stroke is worth learning especially for anyone using an ottertail shaped paddle. The S and T paddles and Conover are long to allow standing to scout stuff . Standing in a canoe is a good skill. I unfortunately post chemo lack the balance to do that.

I don’t see the photo either...
Yellow, I would love to see that paddle!!

I'm not sure why the pictures aren't uploading. I'll try again.

Attachments

• 20200923_183008.jpg
    20200923_183008.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200923_183004.jpg
    20200923_183004.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200923_182958.jpg
    20200923_182958.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 12
Looks pretty good! This winter I need to make a few of my favorite style in ash!! I also have a small board of butternut and one large board of soft maple that should yield a few nice paddles!!

Can you tell us more? How does the stroke work? What are the tricks or subtleties? Why do you like it? I usually paddle on rivers that can be shallow and I'm perfectly happy with the paddles I use but I do have one Northwoods paddle that I'd like to get to know some day.
20200924_164841.jpg

Your paddle looks incredible! I would live to find one of those someday.

The way I use my Northwoods is with short quick strokes. Grip hand is facing the same direction as my bottom hand. (Thumb facing down the shaft ) There is more torso than arm movement. This just seems like a more efficient stroke for me. I paddle at least one hour everyday. Wind permitting. I am never fatigued at the end of a session using this stroke. I don't feel like I've paddled at all. In high wind and waves I slide my grip hang up and use a more traditional grip. In shallow water I slide my grip hand down the shaft and shorten the length of the paddle. I am still able to use all of my traditional stroke as well. It is a very versatile paddle.

It did take me a week or two of use to get use to this. When I first started using it there was a lot of turbulence while finishing my stroke. My arms were also adjusting to the new paddle position and there were definitely sore muscles in the beginning. After the adjustment period I have no looked back. I kneel 99 perene of the time. I contacted S&T first for sizing and they suggested 66 inches. This is not long enough for me to use while standing. I still have to bring my 6 footer for that.

Last edited:
Can you tell us more? How does the stroke work? What are the tricks or subtleties? Why do you like it? I usually paddle on rivers that can be shallow and I'm perfectly happy with the paddles I use but I do have one Northwoods paddle that I'd like to get to know some day.
filedata/fetch?id=116970&d=1600980735

That's similar to my Turtle Paddle but mine is very short shafted.
Gumpus' is the traditional length for standing and seated.
Mine is short shafted for Canadian Style Solo.

Jodie Marc La Londe made good paddles and I was sad when he ceased production. Canotrouge if you bump into one of these grab it.

Gumpus part of the problem is there are no good instructional resources other than in person to learn the stroke. Becky Mason sorta had it. I will try to locate what she recorded

Sigh. It is on her second Advanced Solo Canoeing DVD. If you google Northwoods Stroke the results are not correct. The paddlers are competent but they are not doing the NW stroke.

This is the best I could find but the shaft hand should be nearly stationary and the grip hand following a circular motion palm of hand flat on paddle. It is one wicked fast stroke 60 bpm
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~burchil/pm_canoe/subtle_correction.html

Last edited:
Back