• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Northwest Passage Solo

All shiny. Almost time to hit the water. I need to wait a week or so before I can get varnish on it. Ugh.

No Title

Attachments

• photo6533.jpg
    photo6533.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo6534.jpg
    photo6534.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo6535.jpg
    photo6535.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 7
Sorry about the random picture orientations.

This is definitely my worst glassine job. Lots of tiny bubbles. I think the glass was the culprit.

Explain to me just HOW you made that canoe float upside down, in mid air !!!

Like the contrast, but I really want to know how it paddles ! A complete Evaluation !
Maybe you better get a seat in it first ! :rolleyes:

If you aren't happy with this one, you can always make another ! ;)

Jim

No Title

Oops I forgot to show a picture of the seat. Here it is. Current weight is 32# even. It's killing me to not get it on the water. Soon I hope.

Attachments

• photo6536.jpg
    photo6536.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 5
Wow!! That seat looks great.
In the time that I've just spent combing through this thread to see the weight, you updated your posts!!
32 lbs, really nice! I like the hull design too. We all do need that on water review, I'm particularly interested to see if it has objectionable stern hook.

So what was the seat, just nylon tape/strap material? The contrasting weave really makes it pop.

Wow! what a beautiful boat, and only 32lbs! I need to read back through this thread to see what you did to get the weight down that low. Good job.

Looks awesome!
I can't see those tiny bubbles you speak of from where I'm at.

Wow, great looking hull and fantastic weight! I wouldn't have thought you could get that low with wood trim and seat. I just skimmed through the thread and the hull construction should be quite robust as well. Nice work.

Alan

She turned out sweet! I'm thinking I may steal that glass bracket idea off of you - turned out very nice.

When you do get her in the water, please report on handling characteristics. The Passage Solo is one of the designs I was pointed toward in my recent thread on choosing a solo design.

No Title

Thanks for all the compliments. It looks really good from about ten feet away. I added some painters the only thing left is maybe a thwart.

Attachments

• photo6647.JPG
    photo6647.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo6646.JPG
    photo6646.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 2
No Title

Not sure why these pictures didn't make the last post.

Attachments

• photo6648.jpg
    photo6648.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo6649.jpg
    photo6649.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo6650.jpg
    photo6650.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 6
No Title

Finally got it wet on the local river. Doesn't seem twitchy at all. Definitely not as straight line as I'm used to.

Attachments

• photo6785.jpg
    photo6785.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 4
Dave, you and I both need to work on our photo taking ! Ha !

It sure looks FINE ! Betting Dennis Davidson would post a pick of it on his NorthWest Canoe site ! I know I would !

We would all like to hear your reflections on the North West Passage ! Good and Bad, and what you've learned !

I've truly enjoyed the ride following your build !
Congratulations !

Jim

Wow, that is truly a work of art. I'd be afraid to take it out and ding it, but glad to see you're putting her to good use!

Back