• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Northwest Passage 2000 mile kayak attempt

How did I miss this before? I am a big fan of Stan Rogers. I am also currently watching ‘Terror’ about the Franklin expedition.
Jim

“I thought many, many days, ‘This is like rewinding the Adirondacks 9,000 to 9,500 years. I mean, just look at the plant life, especially on the north side,’” she said.

Visser and her paddling team, the Arctic Cowboys, became the first to traverse the Northwest Passage in a season by human power.

"It’s for good reason no one has paddled the entirety of the Passage in a single year up until now."

"Since the 1700s, European sailors have recorded their attempts to find and use the Passage as a maritime transportation and trading route."

"The Arctic Cowboys aren’t the first to try paddling it, though. Over the past 40 years, more than 20 attempts have been made to paddle or row the Northwest Passage, and virtually all have failed."

Over the past 40 years, more than 20 attempts have been made to paddle or row the Northwest Passage, and virtually all have failed."

I recall this video from several years ago where the trip fell short of completion. Personally though, I'd award bonus points for the strippers and the attempt in 1974 (when nobody outside of their families likely ever knew they tried it). Great story and both of these attempts make me want to try it myself (almost certainly will never happen but it's fun to dream)

I recall this video from several years ago where the trip fell short of completion. Personally though, I'd award bonus points for the strippers and the attempt in 1974 (when nobody outside of their families likely ever knew they tried it). Great story and both of these attempts make me want to try it myself (almost certainly will never happen but it's fun to dream)
There's a big difference between the Inside Passage and the Northwest Passage. The Inside Passage is basically the west coast of B.C. to Alaska alongside a temperate rainforest. The Northwest Passage is basically from Hudson Bay around northern Nunavut and NWT to Alaska through a treeless arctic environ.

The greatest solo adventure story about paddling the Inside Passage is the live story by BeaV, 5,000 miles to, through, and around Alaska a few years ago, including portaging up and over the Chilkoot pass and then the Bering Sea after Alaska.

Read it here iin 14 segments:
Rather than posting a direct link, you can get to it through a link in the first post in the bwca forum here:

Last edited:
Back